A request for CMx2

I was pondering a scenario when I realized it was impossible because we cannot simulate tides or rises of water.

This is critical for planning when certain stretches of mudflats will be covered with water etc.

This could also tie in with fords become useable/unuseable due to the rising or lowering of river due to rainfall etc.

Might be a nice effect for a dam or dike being blown, as part of a plan or unplanned demolition.

Just a thought

But this kind of thing occurring during the time of a CM game would be extremely rare. In the case of a tide, that would be an expected event and you would simply hold off the attack until conditions were favorable. Same for flooding due to rains. The only sudden and unexpected event on your list would be a blown dam a short ways upriver. I'd like to know how many times that happened.

The bottom line is that we can all think of nifty bits of chrome that it might be nice to have added to the game if this were a perfect world and we all got what we wanted. But in this world where programming time is limited and has to be prioritized, one had to ask what else are you willing to give up to have this feature?

Michael

There are some few, a tiny minority be assured, who must remove their footware to count beyond ten. They are, shall we say, apt to be literal-minded and do not appreciate the subtler forms of wordplay. They also have difficulty with words of more than one syllable and four letters. Be thus advised and settled in your mind, good sir.

:D

Michael

Originally posted by Hans:

[QB] I was pondering a scenario when I realized it was impossible because we cannot simulate tides or rises of water.

This is critical for planning when certain stretches of mudflats will be covered with water etc.

This could also tie in with fords become useable/unuseable due to the rising or lowering of river due to rainfall etc.

This would only be useful in operations, which

take place over several days, or across

an entire day.

Originally posted by Dr. Rosenrosen:

If we get working tides in the CM engine, I can finally complete that Bay of Fundy battle that I've been working on.

And that we have all been waiting breathlessly for. I can't wait to get my USS NEW JERSEY mod into the water.

Mod screenshot.

:D

Michael

[ August 24, 2003, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

The only sudden and unexpected event on your list would be a blown dam a short ways upriver. I'd like to know how many times that happened.

In December 1941 when Finns were taking the town of Poventsa, Soviets blew up a gate in the Stalin's canal to upstream, to the not so great merriment of the Finns who had to climb onto roofs. Even some T-26's were swept by the flood, and many suffered from cold feet that night. But this wasn't during a battle situation, or if it were then it would have comen to an immediate end.

I'd rather have CM model the effect of a bunch of Allied soldiers coming across a German cognac depot. Germans were notorious for leaving alcohol behind to "slow down" their enemies.