Mis IDing give aways (and should it be changed?)

When you mis ID a AFV in cmbb there are ways to know the real ID anyway. Like, the T34/85 is ALWAYS (as far as Ive seen anyway) misIDed as a T34/76, or even a T70. But, when the "T34/76" shoots, it plays the gun sound of the real AFV, the 85. A player that knows the differances of the sound (not very hard), then instantly knows what AFV it is, even though your troops still think its a /76. This applies for all guns ofcource.

Proposition 1. Change the game so it plays the gun sound of the misIDed AFV. The ID is afterall your troops reporting what kind of AFV they think it is.

Sometimes, the misIDed AFV seems like a strange choice. I mean, Stugs getting misIDed as PzIII (cant my troops see that it got no turret?!) or IS2s getting misIDed as T70s!?

Proposition 2. Make it so the misIDed AFV is similar of the real AFV. Stug IIIG getting misIDed as JgdPzIV,Hetzers and other turretless tanks.

Also, that the misIDed tank has similar silouette of that of the real AFV, no more light tanks turning out to be heavy tanks.

What do you think?

[ May 18, 2003, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Panzer76 ]

Good post

I myself dont really care but every improvement for CM is welcome.

About the sound : If you identify the tank by the sound, its like the commander overrules the ID of the scouts and say : "A T-34/76 ?? You maggot !! I clearly hear a T34/85 !! Ok, that is one week latrine duty for you ..."

tongue.gif

Monty

Well i think it would be a good idea to make the false ids be of a similar sort as the vehicle it really is... my favorite "idiotic" misidentification is when the ai show a flak truck as an ostwind with the turret turned around... since the flak truck has its guns facing backwards! (only seen this in CMBO tho) that was fun...

About the sound i still think that shouldnt be changed... first off any good commander (at the battle that is) would know the difference between hearing a tiger and a panzer III when they fire... so he would know that his scouts were wrong in saying its a pzIII when its a pzVI... secondly you dont always have the time to listen to EVERY misidentified vehicle when it fires... if there is about ten of them you probarbly wont remember wich ones are wich anyway...

my favorite "idiotic" misidentification is when the ai show a flak truck as an ostwind with the turret turned around... since the flak truck has its guns facing backwards! (only seen this in CMBO tho) that was fun...

There is a very annoying bug in CM:BB along those lines. An Ostwind being identified at close range and a Flak HT. And since the HT is counted as "open top" every infantry unit is range will open up on it and wonder why their small arms aren't having any effect. Meanwhile the Ostwind draws a bead in the foolish infantry who revelied themselfs.

I'm not sure how other AFV's are miss ID'd but in a recent game I got ID's on a Sherman and a T-34 ......

both turned out to be Valentines (both same model). So I'm not sure an missID will always be the same for each vehicle type.

An AAR for the battle is here (top one) AAR showing the Miss-IDing.

Maybe it depends on the unit (type and experience) who initially sights the AFV ..... I would think infantry are more likely to miss ID a vehicle than another AFV, if only because the infantry may only be using the 'Mk I Human Eyeball' to spot the vehicle with and not binoculars or a gun-sight.

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

About the sound i still think that shouldnt be changed... first off any good commander (at the battle that is) would know the difference between hearing a tiger and a panzer III when they fire...

Couldnt you just say that a commander would also know how a certain AFV looks like, so you could the just show the correct model but not the name and info about it?

I think the trrops on the battlefield is your eyes AND ears, it's what they report that is your intelligence.

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

secondly you dont always have the time to listen to EVERY misidentified vehicle when it fires... if there is about ten of them you probarbly wont remember wich ones are wich anyway...

Most times you do. Its not like the standars CMBB battle has 10 enemy AFVs firing at any one time.

[ May 18, 2003, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: Panzer76 ]

I feel that the ID'ing of units should also be based around the skill of the troops doing the ID'ing of the vehicle.Green or Conscripts most likely would not be able to ID a contact easily.Where as a Veteren or so group would be able to ID better.This may already be implemented in the game.

The sound part is no problem in my opinion. The following are just my opinion from being at some WW2 reenactments in my area.When the battle is raging around you.Good commander or not you are not going to be able to pick out that one individual vehicles sound over all the other sounds of the battle.You are going to have all the MGs and small arms fire,Most likely any of your supporting tanks will be moving and firing and maybe even artillery falling.In my opinion CMBB has you hearing more than you normally should be able to in real life.

Originally posted by Erwin Rommel:

I feel that the ID'ing of units should also be based around the skill of the troops doing the ID'ing of the vehicle.Green or Conscripts most likely would not be able to ID a contact easily.Where as a Veteren or so group would be able to ID better.This may already be implemented in the game.

I think it is - I play green and (sometimes) conscript troops a lot, and there are a lot more misidentifications than when I play with better quality troops.

There is a definite problem in ver. 1.02 under EFOW where King Tigers are always mis-identified as normal Tigers despite the complete dissimilarity of appearance. If anything they should be mis-identified as Panthers as they are a much more similar looking AFV. The other annoying thing is that they stay mis-identified until the damn King Tigers are virtually driving over the top of your troops no matter how many HQ's & MG units with binnoculars you have peering at them at under 200 metres distance. In this case the noise of the gun firing does not give away what sort of tank it is because it's still an 88 firing.

Regards

Jim R.

My favorite mis-ID that I've seen is when a T-34 with riders is misidentified as a light tank (which displays as a T-60, or maybe a T-70?) that can't have riders - somewhere I posted a screenshot (here) . The riders float along with some sort of antigravity device. I really like the backwards-pointing Marder gun, though. I'd like to see that.

[ May 20, 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: demoss ]