Why panicking units commit suicide?

Happened to me twice in the same scenario. I have units behind the enemy, ambushing them behind. I advance unit to forest edge, and when it panics (one soldier killed from veteran squad), it decides to run to open plains, and after a second they are all killed. Why not run back to the forest, away from the enemy?? :confused: Or back to the HQ unit??? :confused:

Originally posted by Lars:

Because they're panicked?

Why not run to a safe place instead??

It is unrealistic to assume that panicking units would check the compass: "OK, it seems that south is there, so let's go to that direction!"

I'm sure that panicking units run back to the place where they advanced from, rather than to the general direction of friendly lines, if there are enemies in between.

Originally posted by Fuerte:

It is unrealistic to assume that panicking units would check the compass: "OK, it seems that south is there, so let's go to that direction!"

I'm sure that panicking units run back to the place where they advanced from, rather than to the general direction of friendly lines, if there are enemies in between.

Because they just ain't thinking clearly.

They could have took off in any old direction. Run the test about 100 more times and see if you spot a pattern.

If you do spot a pattern, that might qualify as a bug.

Happened to me twice in the same scenario. I have units behind the enemy, ambushing them behind. I advance unit to forest edge, and when it panics (one soldier killed from veteran squad), it decides to run to open plains, and after a second they are all killed. Why not run back to the forest, away from the enemy?? :confused: Or back to the HQ unit??? :confused:

I agree self preservation does not seem to be a strong suit in this game :eek:

Because they just ain't thinking clearly.

They could have took off in any old direction. Run the test about 100 more times and see if you spot a pattern.

If you do spot a pattern, that might qualify as a bug.

It happened twice in the same scenario, I don't know the name at the moment. In both cases my unit, having 9-10 men, panicked in the forest edge, and started running to the general direction of friendly lines, not directly, but still. In both cases only one or two men were down when they panicked. They could have retreated back to the forest and survived.

In the second case, I had ordered them to move to the forest edge, and then hopefully throw Molotov cocktails at enemy halftracks. It didn't work out, halftracks spotted my men, and started firing at them. Only one got killed, but still my veteran men panicked. They could have retreated back to woods, back to their HQ unit. Instead they ran out of the woods, so that the three halftracks killed all nine of them in one second.

I think that it is very unrealistic that all nine men decide to run out of the woods to the open, when they are fired at. Of course CMBB can't simulate individual men, but still. It would have been better if they just retreated back to where they came from, or to the direction of their HQ. Which was the same in this case.

My suggestion is: Add more AI to panicking units. The current behaviour is not realistic. I wouldn't call it a bug, though.

Another idea: Panicking units should split, it would represent the panicking better. And add more AI.

I like your idea of having them split, that's a good one. Would make putting the buggers back into fighting shape even harder.

ISTm that it would also require the modelling of each individual soldier as a separate entity -- something I would be strongly in favour of in the engine re-write for lots of reasons.

I don't think we can justify adding more intelligence though.

I would argue for much less intelligence; under bullet fire, I think people who have completely lost it tend to "freeze" more often than they run.

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by John D Salt:

I would argue for much less intelligence; under bullet fire, I think people who have completely lost it tend to "freeze" more often than they run.

Well, maybe half would and half wouldn't. ;)

Wouldn't take individual modeling of the men, just a random trigger whether they would split or not.

It also would make the hares scamper in more directions so they wouldn't all commit suicide in one spot.

Also, a split squad might get away while the half that froze took the brunt

As an ex-squaddie who has been under direct fire several times, I can only give you my version although I wasn't panicked, but the first instinct it to hit the deck and keep down low. After that, find good cover and try to locate the enemy. This is probably not that relevant, as I said I wasn't panicked but then again, I wasn't totally calm smile.gif

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lars:

Because they're panicked?

I'm sure that panicking units run back to the place where they advanced from, rather than to the general direction of friendly lines, if there are enemies in between. </font>

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Athkatla. Any vets out there know of any situations where people were panicked? Is "panicked" even a term that would be used in the military? I would also think that self-preservation would override suicide in almost any situation, but I've never been in combat.

Dr. Rosenrosen

Originally posted by Dr. Rosenrosen:

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Athkatla. Any vets out there know of any situations where people were panicked? Is "panicked" even a term that would be used in the military? I would also think that self-preservation would override suicide in almost any situation, but I've never been in combat.

Dr. Rosenrosen

Year 2000, 1 NZ Pvt left for dead as his Section ran for it during a botched contact.

Edit should not have named him.

In the great tradition of whimsical military shorthand such as 'It's not on.' aka it's not cricket.

Pancake=panic in the NZ Infantry Battalions

[ March 04, 2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Bastables ]

Originally posted by Dr. Rosenrosen:

Dr. Rosenrosen

I've seen guys panic, yes!