losing gracefully

Hi,

I'm currently getting creamed in a CMAK PBEM game. I wonder what's the best way to minimize my defeat at the end of the game. Here's the situation:

I have about a platoon of healthy infantry reserves left. I have no hope of getting the flag and if I try to do anything with them, they'll be slaughtered. Should I send them into combat and hope to take a few enemies out in a blaze of glory? That way I'll get the casualty points for the kills, although he would then get the points for wiping me out as well. I thought that this might be preferable to a surrender where he would get points for taking all those prisoners. (Am I correct that you get more points for taking a prisoner than inflicting a casualty?)

In other words, should you only surrender when you have as few men as possible to take prisoner, or is it best to minimize your losses and surrender when it is clear that there is no hope? Do end of game prisoners count the same as prisoners taken during the game?

CEase FIRE. Ask your opponent for a CEASE-fire. If he doesn't accept, try and have fun saving your men by executing a tactical withdrawl.

Never Surrender.

Sorry, I do not know the answers to the point-costs for prisoners, but I assume they'd be the same (taken in game vs end game).

Good luck.

Gpig

If he had any class he would accept the cease fire, You are admiting defeat by offering a cease fire, the only time that a game like this should be played out is if your in a tournament and scores are required to determine ratings and outcomes with other players.

There is the spectre of auto-surrender so try to get your men off map in the same turn. I cannot really comment on it as I have never played to that level - either a ceasefire , or when I was green a surrender.

However surrender is a little too wimpy really, make him play for the end or agree a ceasefire. Players when they know they have won can become casual and use knackered troops to mop you up, and your few remaining men could cause some worthwhile casualties.

As you withdraw men, your global morale will drop, and this should trigger an autosurrender. So, it is crucial that you try and exit all the units in one or two turns so some don't get caught in the autosurrender.

I didn't say it would be easy.

Originally posted by Dr. Rosenrosen:

To restate my above question: If I march all of my able men off the map, will the game end automatically even if he doesn't agree to a cease fire and the turn limit isn't reached?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Falcon988:

Yep. Withdraw from the map and save as many men as you can. You should only surrender when you're -really- screwed... like cut off, encircled, etc etc...

You should take your own advice..mi amigo.

Deep in your heart....you know I'm right tongue.gif