Russian AP: Sucks or Under-Modeled?

I'm playing the Russians in a pbem that takes place in July 1943. Early in the game, I had a KV-1 battle with a Pz IIIM. Both were stationary and were 160 meters apart. My KV scored six hits, all on the front armor. Five were penetrations and one was a ricochet. The Pz IIIM was still firing until after the fifth hit.

Later in the game, I had a T-34 fighting a Pz IIIM in scattered trees. Both were stationary. My T-34 fired a shot from 46 meters and got a ricochet off the front armor. The Pz IIIM backed away, but was killed by the next shot.

Did Russian AP suck that badly or did BFC drop the ball on Russian 76.2mm guns?

I was wondering if I was just cursed with bad luck in that game. Turn after turn, my tanks are hitting the enemy tanks, but I'm getting ricochets by the cart load. A lot of the fighting is at longer ranges, but the 160 and the 46 meters ricochets were unbelieveable.