New small building mod pack preview !

I've made 8 new non-Russian, maybe German, "I'm not quite sure" type of small buildings. Hopefully they will fit in well with Juju's outstanding Berlin buildings.

I haven't started working on the damaged or winter versions yet, just wanted to see if there's any interest in these. Bear in mind my eyes are sore, my mouse is permantly fused to my hand and I haven't seen the sun in ages just working on these. ;)

On with the pics.

heavy_building_3.jpglight_building_4.jpgheavy_building_4.jpglight_building_2.jpgheavy_building_2.jpglight_building_1.jpg

Hi,

Congratulations… they do indeed look stunning.

For scenarios set in the last nine months or so of the war they look just the job. I think I will keep a set of them.. and the original Soviet ones.. and just load them into the BMP folder depending on the time frame of the scenario.

Very fine work. smile.gif

All the best,

Kip.

I like the detail of the open window with uncle Irving's picture hanging on the wall. :D

That's why I haven't done any CMBB building mods, myself. I'm just not enough of a 'detail' man.

To state the obvious, great work.

[ August 12, 2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Yay! This guy deserves a medal! There I was, complaining about doing three buildings, while Ed's doing eight in a row! During a heatwave! Somebody ought to send him a case of cold beer. smile.gif

Oh, and as a tester I can vouch they look just as great in-game as they do in the preview shots! Great detail.

Ehm, should I? Heck, why not...: Ah, what pavement are you using there, old boy? ;)

Oddball_E8:

Right back at you man. ;)

kipanderson:

Thanks. They would look a little strange in Russia, but that's what CMMOS is for.

MikeyD:

You're not a detail man? You put great detail into all of your mods.

I tried to put some window doodads inside most of the windows. (beer bottles, stein, bookshelves etc.)

Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

I can't remember the name of the guy who made that pavement. He's really good though. Another one of those great Dutch artists I think. ;)

Hmm. Must 've been Rembrandt. Don't know any other great Dutch artists. :D

Told ya they'd love the preview. smile.gif

Originally posted by ScouseJedi:

[being cheeky]

Any chance of a texture tutorial?

[/being cheeky]

Oh, I wouldn't say that. I'll chime in here, if you don't mind, Ed.

I've considered doing a tutorial several times. But in the end I decided against it. Two reasons: 1) It'd be a HELL of a lot of work, and 2) doing building mods is totally different from vehicle mods because -as opposed to vehicles which just must look the way they look- a building gives a lot more freedom in what it is (I think) I want to do. As a result (and I think I'm speaking for Ed here as well) it's much more of a making-it-up-as-I-go-along type of thing.

In my case it involves a lot of experimenting and stuff. When I start a mod I usually haven't got the foggiest idea of where it will end. Large parts are trial and error stuff. Some of the coolest effects I've discovered while blundering along and stumbling onto something else entirely.

Because of that there are so many steps and little thingies along the way, it's nearly impossible to write them all down coherently.

Anyway, that's my point of view. But then, I tend to be just a little bit lazy. And besides, it feels kinda nice when people think they're done by magic. We oughtta keep it that way, really. ;)

Originally posted by Juju:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ScouseJedi:

[being cheeky]

Any chance of a texture tutorial?

[/being cheeky]

Oh, I wouldn't say that. I'll chime in here, if you don't mind, Ed.

I've considered doing a tutorial several times. But in the end I decided against it. Two reasons: 1) It'd be a HELL of a lot of work, and 2) doing building mods is totally different from vehicle mods because -as opposed to vehicles which just must look the way they look- a building gives a lot more freedom in what it is (I think) I want to do. As a result (and I think I'm speaking for Ed here as well) it's much more of a making-it-up-as-I-go-along type of thing.

In my case it involves a lot of experimenting and stuff. When I start a mod I usually haven't got the foggiest idea of where it will end. Large parts are trial and error stuff. Some of the coolest effects I've discovered while blundering along and stumbling onto something else entirely.

Because of that there are so many steps and little thingies along the way, it's nearly impossible to write them all down coherently.

Anyway, that's my point of view. But then, I tend to be just a little bit lazy. And besides, it feels kinda nice when people think they're done by magic. We oughtta keep it that way, really. ;) </font>

np smile.gif

I find these textures great until I try to make something exactly the same. I have 2 images in photoshop - the original and mine. Then, after I work and work I realise just how good the textures are. Calling them a tour de force is not good enough.

I salute you both.

I suppose at the end of the day the plaster effects you guys both get are down more to working actually on the image rather than just applying a few filters.

I will keep trying, after all I will learn a lot more about Photoshop that way. At the end of the day there are few short cuts to quality, its mostly just hard work.

[note to self: I'll bet the arcane order of modders keeps its ancient lore to itself, as soon as I learn to sacrifice a chicken under a gibbous moon all their secrets will be revealed...*cackle*]

Originally posted by ScouseJedi:

np smile.gif

I find these textures great until I try to make something exactly the same. I have 2 images in photoshop - the original and mine. Then, after I work and work I realise just how good the textures are. Calling them a tour de force is not good enough.

I salute you both.

I suppose at the end of the day the plaster effects you guys both get are down more to working actually on the image rather than just applying a few filters.

I will keep trying, after all I will learn a lot more about Photoshop that way. At the end of the day there are few short cuts to quality, its mostly just hard work.

[note to self: I'll bet the arcane order of modders keeps its ancient lore to itself, as soon as I learn to sacrifice a chicken under a gibbous moon all their secrets will be revealed...*cackle*]

Buildings are the hardest and most time-consuming mods I've worked on. Maybe not the best choice for starting out, but don't give up. There are some good Photoshop tutorial sites out there that can help. The local library or bookstore should have some books also. Don't be afraid to experiment because you can always undo.

P.S.

I tried that chicken thing. All it did was scare the neighbors. Maybe the moon wasn't at the right level of gibbousness. ;)

Outstanding! But now I will have to hold off on using those great new big German buildings (thanks Juju!) until I can download these great new small buildings, I'm just leery of seeing the big buildings with the German propaganda poster across the street from the small building with the Russian propaganda poster! :rolleyes:

So, how long will we have to wait? It's all about eye-candy, and thanks to you modders, this game not only plays the best--it LOOKS the best. :D

Argghhh... Ack..Affssghh *fighting for breath*

Ed, you've done it again! I totally loved your "Pesant huts" and these look to be equally awsome!

Whatever you do for a living I hope you did these on the company's time coz you deserve to be paid for them!

-Derfel

Originally posted by Derfel:

Argghhh... Ack..Affssghh *fighting for breath*

Ed, you've done it again! I totally loved your "Pesant huts" and these look to be equally awsome!

Whatever you do for a living I hope you did these on the company's time coz you deserve to be paid for them!

-Derfel

Thanks Derfel.

Unfortunately I've been out of work for quite some time now. I might have to move in to a peasant hut before long. :(