shoot and scoot

The first waypoint you draw is where you want to move fast to and shoot from, the next waypoint is to where you want to scoot (back?) to. I don't try to generally scoot forward.

Take a note of any command command delay and also if the vector lines, in a scoot back say diverge at an angle, as the vehicle will have to rotate slightly before reversing if there is any angle between the vectors. This 'small' rotation will cause it to be exposed for a fraction longer than if it goes exactly back the way it came.

ok so you say to the tank 'scoot to this position' how do you tell it to shoot at a target say to its right..do you set a cover armour arc? or will the tank shoot at anything it sees? am i better telling it scoot straight forward and straight back from its start point?

how do you tell it to shoot at a target say to its right..do you set a cover armour arc? or will the tank shoot at anything it sees?
My understanding is it will shoot at whatever target has the greatest hit percentage within a certain frontal arc. IOW, it won't turn 90 degrees once it gets to its designated scoot position.

am i better telling it scoot straight forward and straight back from its start point?
Scooting straight forward is not that important, it will just take a little longer to rotate before it begins moving. On the other hand, scooting straight back is very important, as you want to get your vehicle back into cover quickly.

Two drawbacks to the shoot and scoot command: the vehicle will roll forward to its scoot position regardless of how many enemy units have LOS to it, and it only takes 1-2 shots, and thus is not given a chance to bracket the target.

I prefer a delayed move to contact command. If done right, the tank will stop at the moment it sees another enemy unit most likely hull down to it, and it will do so near the end of the turn. If the opposition is too much I can reverse him back down in the next turn. Otherwise I can leave him in good position relative to the enemy.