Grogs – I need help please.

Gentlemen,

I have started collecting parameters for the BCR Campaign ‘42 South’ and I need some generalized information re weather from 1 Jan 1942 to 31 Dec 1942 on the ‘South’ front.

If you have any info, it would be much appreciated. Even if your info is vague or unsubstantiated it could still be used to ‘confirm’ other vague info. :rolleyes:

If you know of any internet-sources, please let me know as well. I’ve spent days going through battle reports, but the weather info is very sketchy.

I need to know when:

Blizzards come to an end

Extreme cold (-20 deg C) came to an end

Snowfalls ended

Snow melted and started causing transport problems

Snow slush dried up

Rains started

Mud started

Mud dried up

Extremely hot weather started

Hot weather ended

Snow started

Extreme cold started

Blizzards started

Much appreciated.

Biltong

Hrm, you DO know that the "south front" in 42 stretched roughly from Charkow to Astrakhan? Good luck finding any coherent weather patterns there.

Even if you are asking for the weather at the front, you will have to decide what front we are talking about...Sevastopol? Stalingrad? Voronezh? Charkow? Maikop? Rostov?

I think the first thing you should do is decide where the campaign player will go. You'll have to decide that "ok, in January-March he is around Charkow, then in June-August, Voronezh-Stalingrad (or Rostov -> Caucasus) area, then in September-December Stalingrad."

It will be hopeless to try to get some weather modifiers for a specific month that would apply to the entire southern front.

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

Hrm, you DO know that the "south front" in 42 stretched roughly from Charkow to Astrakhan? Good luck finding any coherent weather patterns there.

Even if you are asking for the weather at the front, you will have to decide what front we are talking about...Sevastopol? Stalingrad? Voronezh? Charkow? Maikop? Rostov?

I think the first thing you should do is decide where the campaign player will go. You'll have to decide that "ok, in January-March he is around Charkow, then in June-August, Voronezh-Stalingrad (or Rostov -> Caucasus) area, then in September-December Stalingrad."

It will be hopeless to try to get some weather modifiers for a specific month that would apply to the entire southern front.

I know, I know, Lt - I've got no choice though... I need generalized parameters. I've already split the campaign into 3: South/Central/North to cater for terrain/weather/etc differences... That is 3 x 5 'years' = 15 campaigns. Can't split it any more or it will become too long.

So - 'generalized' is the word. ;)

Originally posted by Biltong:

Gentlemen,

I have started collecting parameters for the BCR Campaign ‘42 South’ and I need some generalized information re weather from 1 Jan 1942 to 31 Dec 1942 on the ‘South’ front.

If you have any info, it would be much appreciated. Even if your info is vague or unsubstantiated it could still be used to ‘confirm’ other vague info. :rolleyes:

If you know of any internet-sources, please let me know as well. I’ve spent days going through battle reports, but the weather info is very sketchy.

I need to know when:

Blizzards come to an end

Extreme cold (-20 deg C) came to an end

Snowfalls ended

Snow melted and started causing transport problems

Snow slush dried up

Rains started

Mud started

Mud dried up

Extremely hot weather started

Hot weather ended

Snow started

Extreme cold started

Blizzards started

Much appreciated.

Biltong

Rank amateurs...

Blizzards come to an end when they have finally depleted their store of moisture and have nothing left to deposit on the ground, or when your neighborhood Dairy Queen has run out of ice cream or the treats they mix inside them... or when you have successfully wolfed down your last spoonful.

[ January 17, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Herr Oberst ]

Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Blizzards come to an end when they have finally depleted their store of moisture and have nothing left to deposit on the ground, or when your neighborhood Dairy Queen has run out of ice cream or the treats they mix inside them... or when you have successfully wolfed down your last spoonful.

Ahhh - you nice americans. So stupid of me not to know what happens in your nice suburbs ;)

just make it up as u go along as long. So long as its nealry right who will know the difference. Use this years weather forcast so long as its nearly right what difference does it make.

(then watch and see all the grogs come out in droves moaning and complaining that its not realistic)

Originally posted by Bullitt:

just make it up as u go along as long. So long as its nealry right who will know the difference. Use this years weather forcast so long as its nearly right what difference does it make.

(then watch and see all the grogs come out in droves moaning and complaining that its not realistic)

:D Very True!! I think that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Originally posted by Darryl60:

Is there any chance that there may be a site on-line that may have archived weather data from that period?

Perhaps there is a Russian weather site around that might have that data.

Darryl

Apache pointed me to a Grossdeutschland site that had some weather data specifically for game/scenario designers, but it had only 15% of what I needed...

I did multiple searches on various search engines: Got some interesting sites, but hardly any weather data.

I think the data will mostly be anecdotal and locked within reports/stories. “Such and such a date, so and so was delayed because 2 tanks got stuck in mud…” etc.

That’s why I ask for any bit of info…. If you come across a single piece, eventually we’ll have most of pieces of the puzzle. ;)