%&$!!§ TacAI

OK, this was probably asked before (couldn't find a valid topic via search, probably used the wrong keywords) or is covered in the manual (where?) but is there a way to _force_ to AI to move the troops exactly as intended by the player ?

The situation is that I probably managed to sneak a platoon behind the enemy lines, they crossed a street that was covered by the enemy without being shot at, entered a building and were now relatively save from being spotted. I've than ordered them to cross the building, move across the rubble and continue advancin unseen in the back of the enemy. And what did the TacAI made of my movement order ?? Changed the 'walk-through-the-house' into 'take-a-walk-around-the-block', therefor my men were spotted / shot at and now my opponent knows that he has some unwelcome guests in his backyard and will no doubt take care of them :mad:

CMBB-TacAI.jpg

Originally posted by Sten:

You do know that interior walls between city blocks are impassable, right?

Aha! But in my experience the connection interior wall/rubble tile is[/] passable. Or, at least should be. Seen it happen often enough. OTOH, I've also seen what Industrializer encountered.

Originally posted by Juju:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sten:

You do know that interior walls between city blocks are impassable, right?

Aha! But in my experience the connection interior wall/rubble tile is[/] passable. Or, at least should be. Seen it happen often enough. OTOH, I've also seen what Industrializer encountered. </font>

Hmm, tricky. In the Situation above if I hover the mouse over the wall between the rubble and the building occupied by my men the move-line goes red, indicating I can't move from the building into the rubble.

In my test scenario I surrounded a small grass spot by heavy buildings and replaced one HB with rubble. In this test scenario my infantry was able to cross through the building and the rubble to reach the center.

CMBB-Wall-1.jpgCMBB-Wall-2.jpg

Hmmm, why is it sometimes possible and sometimes not ? I don't want to check every wall before issuing my movement commands just to check wheter it is passable or not. :confused:

in the scenario editor there are 4 heavy large building tiles. each one has a little dot which indicates the passable side.

edit...

actually, if a large heavy building is standing by itself, i believe it allows entry/exit on all four sides, but to be able to go from one such building to an adjacent one, they have to have their 'dotted' sides facing each other...

finally, i'm not even sure if that is entirely correct... but i'm fairly certain those dots have something to do with it...

[ February 28, 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: manchildstein II ]

Originally posted by Industrializer:

Hmmm, why is it sometimes possible and sometimes not ? I don't want to check every wall before issuing my movement commands just to check wheter it is passable or not. :confused:

I think this dependes on if the rubble is just rubble, or if it originally was a city block.

It defenetly has something to do with the dots. I guess the best way the look at this "problem" is as follows" Take a single house: it has four walls, as it is standing on it's own without adjacent buildings it is very likely that it will have windows on all 4 sides in "our" real world. In CMBB this is modelled that you can get in and out this house from all sides. Now take this house in a street with all adjacent houses, adjacent in the sense that all the side walls are directly connected.As you probably can imagine in o"our real world" this side walls will not have windows...would be weird looking straight into the bedroom of your neighboor when your lying in your own bed....So simply said: in CMBB, ince the buildings are placed directly next to each other there are no windows and doors in the side walls. Makes perfectly sense to me. As a result you cannot cross from one building to the other via the inside. Unless you would blast a whole in the wall but that was probably a little to hard to program.

The white dots, represent the side in which the "main door" is situated in the building. Placing two building adjacent with the doors facing each others makes it possible to move from one house to another directly....but it would be rather silly if this situation is translated in to our real world..

gr

Screeny