*MOD POSTED* StuG 111D

I have just uploaded a dusty StuG 111 B with optional unit markings,blackout width markings and air recog flag.

greymarkings.jpg

The unit markings are for the 192nd StuG Abt.

I have also changed the national markings for the narrow style as seen in france and early on in Russia.

The markings on the rear are not as clear as the front markings but this is due to the size of the image for the rear bmp.I haven tried to correct this but it beyond me at the moment. :mad:

I will add an updated file if i manage to sort this.

Its only noticable if you are Zoomed in realy close.

I always thought the white cross was no longer used by the time of Barbarossa. Interesting.

ISTR that I read somewhere that even by the time of the campaign in France, crews had cottoned on to the idea that painting a big, white cross to enable the opposition to aim well was not what could be described as a smart idea. They therefore took steps on a non-authorised basis to make it a bit less visible.

Originally posted by Andreas:

I always thought the white cross was no longer used by the time of Barbarossa. Interesting.

ISTR that I read somewhere that even by the time of the campaign in France, crews had cottoned on to the idea that painting a big, white cross to enable the opposition to aim well was not what could be described as a smart idea. They therefore took steps on a non-authorised basis to make it a bit less visible.

I am only going on what i read in a book.

This is the problem with doing stuff thats over 60 years old.

But i could leave it off if people want

Also it would seem that the unit markings were changed to a grey head on a black square at sometime for the same reason.

[ August 22, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: gautrek ]

I have now added an update file at the data base which contains the standard national cross on the side(for those who want it).Only download this update if you have version1.1.

I have also added this as an option to my mod which is now on version2.

Hows that for service with a smile.gif

[ August 22, 2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: gautrek ]

Look again. The large white crosses used in Poland were painted out with dark yellow. The ones in the photo above are thin with black or dark grey centres - the ones in Poland that had been so objectionable had been solid white.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Look again. The large white crosses used in Poland were painted out with dark yellow. The ones in the photo above are thin with black or dark grey centres - the ones in Poland that had been so objectionable had been solid white.

Ahem, it was a genuine 'interesting' regarding the mod, and not a hidden 'I think you have it wrong'. smile.gif

I know next to nothing about vehicle markings, I can not even remember the number schedule for German tanks despite reading about it a gazillion times. I had always believed there was only the B/W Balkenkreuz (not Balkankreuz, BTW Michael ;) ) at Barbarossa, that's why I commented.

Little did I know the service Gautrek provides. Made me feel guilty. I shall never comment on markings again, until the next time I do.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Ahem, it was a genuine 'interesting' regarding the mod, and not a hidden 'I think you have it wrong'. smile.gif

I know next to nothing about vehicle markings, I can not even remember the number schedule for German tanks despite reading about it a gazillion times. I had always believed there was only the B/W Balkenkreuz (not Balkankreuz, BTW Michael ;) ) at Barbarossa, that's why I commented.

Little did I know the service Gautrek provides. Made me feel guilty. I shall never comment on markings again, until the next time I do. </font>

Looks really nice. Thanks a lot!!! As far as markings go, your Stug looks very much like the colour plate B2 in the Osprey Men-at-Arms title STUG III ASSAULT GUN 1940-1942 ( New Vanguard # 11 ) by Hilary Doyle & Tom Jentz & Peter Sarson. That one also has an early style Balkankreuz.

I CMMOSED this one & it looks great ( got 4 options out of the mod ).

[ August 24, 2003, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

Thats interesting.

I have just checked out my stats at the database.

Apart from the fact i have finaly hit 30000 downloads. tongue.gif Yippeeeeee for me

I have noticed that version 1.1 of this mod has been download 68 times before i stuck version 2 up.61 people have downloaded the update pack.So this means most people must want the standard cross markings.

Or maybe it means most people want a full mod when they download it.

Or do people want my dusty version of the standard vehicle.If so am i wasting my time doing markings.

So whats the answer then chaps. :confused: