Is it worth it?

well, quoting from my previous post:

Life Cycle of a CMBB player:

Elation Phase - Like going on a first Date with a beautiful girl. After 1 to 2 weeks of teenage angst, the game arrives in the mailbox.

Infatuation Phase - Like "huh" to the 8 levels of Morale. Usually sets in the first week after installation. Game play usually comprises of a platoon of Sturmtiger/King Tigers/Flammepanzers against a pithy russian squad or T-26, or a company of IS-2/KV-85 tanks against some Volkstrum squad, paunchy and Unfit and has only half the ammo in their mauser rifles. Also starts downloading Mods

Frustration Phase - Like "Where the hell is the god mode ?" or "Why does the dang infantry auto-sneak when fired upon by HMGs." Game play is CD supplied scenarios. Gets into heated debates on CMBB authencity and accuracy. Insists that frontal assault at 200meters against HMG is realistic because he watched John Wayne in Sands of Iwo Jima and that's what they did in WWII.

Learning Phase - Like "What's the best way to kill a KV-1 with 1941 German Tanks" . Game play is back to basics, self-created scenarios for testing and learning. Books and reference materials are researched. Learns the meaning of grog and peng threads. Starts to watch and critique old movies for equipment authencity, whether the German Tiger tank is acually a Tiger or some spare T-55/56 disguised as one.

Pre-Grognard Phase - Like "Why are there no T-44 tanks ?" or "Why aren't horses/calvary moded, please fix or do somefink". Gets into debates with other grognard wannabees, usually centred around To&E. Gameplay is TCP/IP or PBEM. Post detailed AARs. Starts quoting book titles and Authors. Has a forum thread with his name on it.

Self-actualisation Phase - You and the CMBB are one or is that you are one with the game. You actually memorised the whole CMBB To&E from 1941 to 1945, including the various blast value of the AFVs. You doan really participate in the forums anymore, except to smack down some smart ass faux-grognard-wannabee and show whose the boss. Is able to critique HMG tripods. Usually gets invited to test CM betas. Doesn't smile alot. What game play ? You design scenarios!

All in all, playing CM is the most fun I've had with computer games. It's not for everyone - but for those who do play it, it's totally tits! It's a tactical boardgamer's (i.e. Squad Leader/ASL) dream come true.

You may want to invest in the "strategy guide". Just hang in there, you'll get better. I'm definitely better than I was 6 months, a year, two years ago - and I still screw up/get my ass kicked on a regular basis...but I still love it! smile.gif

Poop,

Is it worth it?

I say, yep. However, BO or BB may not be for everyone. It is not perfect. But by far, it is the best wargame-simulation out there, ever. :eek:

Indeed, it is very much worth it for me. Read, learn, & play. Give it a chance. Maybe, it will be for you. :D

Cheers, Richard smile.gif

[ January 25, 2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: PiggDogg ]

My suggestion: as soon as possible start playing human opponents. PBEM is very good for learning since you'll have time for your planning and a good opponent will discuss tactics, point out obvious mistakes and help you with the first steps.

A single PBEM vs a good player will teach you more than 20 games against the AI.

Read AARs to see how different players handle different situations.

There's a bunch of good ones for CMBO at CMHQ, higly recommended.

The Phases of the CMBB player was pretty funny and REALISTIC. I'm a 30 day Vet as of today today.

Is it worth it?? Remember tho old AH games came with a post card to get the catalog mailed to a friend "if they have the necessary grey matter"...

Well Mr 123POOP,

You were smart enuff to buy the game therefore you obviously have the grey matter to learn and master the game.

Stick with it, it is worth it.

Originally posted by 123Poop:

I have gotten cmbb just today, but i find its learning curve a bit complex, but should i keep on trying to learn it? any recommendations would be appreciate it

Hey Poop,pop over to the Combat Mission Tactics website to check out a couple of articles written by Headshot for beginners.He also runs Headshots Battle Academy for newbies so why not drop him an e-mail at mikplym@aol.com?