Best historian/authors for the North African Front?

I really like Glantz's work on the East Front -- reliable, accurate, and insightful (to me at least).

Let me know if you know of anyone particularly reliable & insightful on the North African front. (Going to pick up Atkinson's "Army at Dawn" and Latimer's "Alamein" soon.)

Also, I have an Army at Dawn, an excellent book, but I was surprised to see how much of it came out of the US ARmy in WWII, Med, European, and Africa Theatre of OPeration, which is available from the gpo. A 4 CD set with tons of reference materials, an excellent buy if you are interested.

Rune

Thanks guys, I'll start looking for the South African book (who knows, maybe there's a South African version of eBay now...heck, I got a limited edition LotR from the Aussies, so anything is possible.

Re "from GPO" -- I'm not familiar with the acronym, could you enlighten me? Also, I'm taking away from this that there isn't one prolific author covering the African campaign in detail, as Glantz does with the OstFront, correct?

Originally posted by Becket:

Also, I'm taking away from this that there isn't one prolific author covering the African campaign in detail, as Glantz does with the OstFront, correct?

There are tons of books on NA. It has attracted writers like flies, especially in the UK. The problem is, as you suspect, there isn't one single author who stands out in the way that Glantz does at this particular moment.

The book that Rune refers to (which is called Northwest Africa: Seizing the Initiative in the West) is excellent. I have it both in printed and CD format. It deals with Operation Torch and the subsequent fighting in Tunisia and focuses mainly on the US Army. It omits everything prior to that and doesn't give much coverage to the CBE forces at all, so it skips most of what we as gamers might be interested in. But what it covers, it covers surperbly.

I am going to try to get a reading list together in time for the release of CMAK that is taken from my own collection. This is difficult because it is extensive and badly scattered at the moment, but will contain numerous titles devoted to the kind of small scale actions dear to the hearts of CMers, as well as several that cover more or less the entire campaign.

Take heart!

smile.gif

Michael

There's always the official British histories, put out by Her Majesty's Stationary Office (the Brit equivalent to the GPO):

Playfair, I. S. O. (et al)

History of the Second World War

The Mediterranean and Middle East, vol 1: The Early Successes Against Italy, to May 1941

London: HMSO, 1954

The Mediterranean and Middle East, vol 2: The Germans Come to the Help of Their Ally, 1941

London: HMSO, 1956

The Mediterranean and Middle East, vol 3: British Fortunes Reach Their Lowest Ebb

London: HMSO, 1960

Playfair, I. S. O., C.J.C. Molony (et al)

The Mediterranean and Middle East, vol 4: The Destruction of the Axis Forces in Africa

London: HMSO, 1966

Molony, C. J. C.

The Mediterranean and Middle East, vol 5: The Campaign in Sicily, 1943 and the Campaign in Italy

London: HMSO, 1973

Molony, C. J. C.

The Mediterranean and Middle East, vol 6: Victory in the Mediterranean, part 1: 1st Apr - 4th June 1944

London: HMSO, 1984

Jackson, General Sir William

The Mediterranean and Middle East, vol 6: Victory in the Mediterranean, part 2: June to October 1944

London: HMSO, 1987

Jackson, General Sir William

The Mediterranean and Middle East, vol 6: Victory in the Mediterranean, part 3: November 1944 - May 1945

London: HMSO, 1988

The NZ Official Histories are pretty good too. IMHO ;) There are eight campaign histories (Greece, Crete, CRUSADER, defence of Egypt, the breakout at Alamein, the rest of North Africa, and two volumes in Italy), plus seperate histories for each of the inf bns units and support units. Quite a lot of ink for a single division really!

Anyway, the first couple are available in their entirety on line here.

A full listing of the various nations Official Histories is available here.

[ August 26, 2003, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]