Help out a newb.

Got a few questions for ya:

1. Is there a way to check the line of sight from any point on the map regardless of whether a unit is occupying the loc?

2. Is there a way to increase the mouse scroll speed? It's painfully slow when moving to place units.

3. Is there a way to have the turret of a tank point in one direction while moving in a another? For instance, if I want the gun poised to aim at a target so that it's in place when I move past a building?

4. Are there any mods that increase visual aids or something to read terrain elevation?

Sometimes I get the feeling this game was created for the pleasure of the developers rather than the players. There is so much minutiae that isn't remotely actionable by the player. I wonder if I'm missing something.

Hi there,

I think I can answer question 3. If I'm not mistaken you can set the covered arc in one direction and issue a move order to have the tank move in another direction. I've never tried this myself but logically it should work this way. I believe that when you set the covered arc the computer will ask you if you'd like to use the main gun or the machine gun.

Welcome,

1. No.

2. Mouse scroll? Do you mean scrolling the screen with your mouse? No. You can jump to another location with control+click, though.

3. Yes, use Cover Arc commands for that (there are two, one for all targets and one for armoured targets).

4. Yes, you can get gridded grass mods for instance. I also use gridded treebases and grain fields.

Originally posted by Sergei:

2. Mouse scroll? Do you mean scrolling the screen with your mouse? No. You can jump to another location with control+click, though.

Yes scrolling the screen when I have a unit selected. You can't control click or it will deselect the unit so I just move the cursor to the top of the screen but it moves really slowly.

Can you recommend a grid overlay mod, one that covers all the terrains?

Thanks. BTW, is there some reason they don't give a los option for different places on the map? Seems like a gimme given the other liberties we're given.

BTW, is there some reason they don't give a los option for different places on the map? Seems like a gimme given the other liberties we're given.
The reason is that in real life you have to be at the point you want to check LOS from. Unless you go there and confirm, you cannot really know for sure what you see. With the all-seeing player hovering above the battlefield, too much information already is given. This LOS limit is a restriction to keep things at least a tiny little bit more realistic.

In future titles, with the new engine, expect to see LESS liberty to check LOS freely, not more. It's more realistic, not less. smile.gif

Martin

You can always select view 1 (groundlevel) go to the spot you want and check LOS the old-fashioned way, without using that fancy LOS-tool, of course it's not as accurate but it gives a pretty good picture.

Btw BFC could you make it so that when i plot a movement i can see what the distance is, i know the LOS-tool can do this, but it would be much more practical.

Thanks

You know what would really be cool is blacked out areas of the map that you don't have units at. Those areas would become visible when a unit moves into the area taking into account los of course. When the unit moves away and if there are no other observers in the area then that region would fade to a "greyed" out view.

Would this be appealing to players here?

Originally posted by mgdpublic:

Yes scrolling the screen when I have a unit selected. You can't control click or it will deselect the unit so I just move the cursor to the top of the screen but it moves really slowly.

That's odd, I never have it deselect my unit when I ctrl-click somewhere else (though I always have to scroll/rotate the screen a bit before the ctrl-click is recognized; THAT's aggravating.)

The other option is to use the scroll arrows at the bottom of the screen - the scroll speed is higher with those.

Originally posted by Cookie Monster:

You know what would really be cool is blacked out areas of the map that you don't have units at. Those areas would become visible when a unit moves into the area taking into account los of course. When the unit moves away and if there are no other observers in the area then that region would fade to a "greyed" out view.

Would this be appealing to players here?

Hmm fog of war, if they decide to do this then they should (IMHO) give us some kind of rough map of the terrain (maybe a topographical map because they area has been reconed out in advance). That way i think it would be more realistic.

In real life, officers did have 1:20,000 maps at their disposal (there were exceptions of course). The idea of having to find out where a road or a river leads doesn't sound very realistic. From maps you couldn't tell straight away all the details, as those weren't necessarily up to date (a village might be levelled, bridge blown up, forest cut down, a new rail line built), but I don't know how necessary it would be to model this aspect.