Greatest FO artillery disaster ever?

Hi all

In a current PBEM (my opponents will have to guess which one) I suffered what may be the greatest failure in Forward Observer history.

I had a 105mm Spotter hidden in a treeline. A large soviet force - tanks + HTs with infantry riding and on foot - had cracked my first infantry screen and was engaging the second. I had called the 105s at about 700m range, but was down to 250m by the time the first shell arrived - I had a clear LOS the whole time and could adjust fire.

The first spotting round landed on the tree directly above the FO team , killing the two men instantly!

Can anyone top this disaster?

Regards

A.E.B

Yep, though it was my opponent, not me. He was assaulting (on skis in deep snow) under very tough circumstances so he deftly plotted 105mm to land on my suspected positions followed by 81mm smoke to cover his advance. A nasty 1-2 punch.

It was unfortunate (for him) that his 81mm smoke landed too early, making his 105mm lose LOS. The 105mm landed in the woods on top of his assault company. They immediately deskied themselves and hit the snow.

The smoke nicely covered my smg'rs in their trenches though. smile.gif

Now that was a disaster.

[ May 16, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: xerxes ]

Back in CMBO I was calling in fire on a squad in a crater. 105 rounds were going off all around him but the guy was still hangin around. So as the battery is approaching rounds complete I move a Sherman to about 300 meters from the crater. Guess where the last round of the barrage fell. That's right, right in the TC's hatch.

Oh, here's another one.

Silly me, after playing the Russians with their all in one volley rockets I forget to look at how many tubes my Nebelwerfer FO has. Once the first barrage stops falling I begin moving my assault troops forward. The lead company reaches the line of craters just as the next volley falls. I don't think I have ever seen rockets as accurate as those.

A while ago one of my friends was playing Russians, and had brought his entire infantry force consisting of an infantry battalion in a massive assault on my lines. I was expecting a bloody battle at a group of pine trees across from the road he was coming up. All of a sudden, his plane he bought came over head and landed a huge group of bombs right in the middle of his troops, which were, fortunately for me, packed together. Its been awhile so i dont remember exact numbers, but he took around 150-200 casualties, and what was left of his army scattered, some running off of the map. He surrendered the next turn.

AEB, count yourself lucky he killed himself. In a current game, in fact played today, I got stuck with a green 105 FO assigned to a brave band of defenders of a church out in the boonies. I had constructed a nice little defense, about a reinforced platoon, a Stug on one flank a 75mm ATG on the other, tress in fornt of us and some 251's and a 251/10 rounding things out. The idea was to drop the arty on the russians before the anticipated SMG's opened up.

imagine my surprise when the barrage fell about a half klick away. Okay time to retarget, 2 mins, but cas start mounting. ATG ko's several tanks trying to sneak around. Still have russkies in the woods, okay, here comes the re-targeted strike, swoosh Boom, right on my position, behind FO. Lost ATG, several 251's, broke HMG, and nary a splinter under a fingernail on the russians as the untouched SMG's chopped up men.

Better he had died with the first strike. I am still hating him with a passion. You got off lucky imho

there was a very weird bug that effected a friend of mine where he would get LOS on all his spotters and the rounds wouldnt even come close to where he spotted. One grid of his 75mm came raining down on his own men, his 120mm then hit way off the map, and his other 75mm his a wheat field near him causing it to go up in flames. I asked if they were rockets and they weren't (I knew they weren't, mostly because they weren't preplanned fire nor didn't sound like rockets)

I've this happen to myself as well. With full LOS and everything.

Still from CMBO days...

I had a 155mm VT FO and a 81mm FO. The mortars should provide a smoke cover for an assaulting infantry company, the 155mm arty should kill the defenders on the hill.

I somehow mixed up my spotters and the smoke screen fell on the enemy positions and the 155mm VT arty, well, you guessed it...

:(

The company was wiped out. IIRC there were about 15 survivors among 4 or 5 squads...

I had a 150mm rocket FO, I gave him a prep-bombardment order and didn't move any of my troops, 2 companies of infantry and a platoon of PzIV's. The last round of the barrage fell short and landed ON a PzIV. It blew up, all the other PzIV's lost their tank commanders, a couple had damaged guns, and a whole company of my infantry was either dead or routed. The battle was over before it started.