Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Thoughts on selling the HSU medal

It is against the law here to sell our top award for military valor, the Medal of Honor, but I see an HSU

for sale/was for sale here. Frankly, I am of multiple minds about this.

http://collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=18756

For starters, unless stolen, I can't see any family's letting something like this go, save in the case of dire need. If this is so, I wouldn't want to block something that could potentially save lives.

Then there's the loss of national patrimony/sense of self historical argument. While the new government type might make a difference, Russia remains Russia, and its identity is, IMO, intimately bound up with its military history, and particularly the GPW.

The coolness factor for a serious collector/student of military history/appreciator of human courage is undeniable.

These are a few of the issues I've come up with.

What do the rest of you think?

Regards,

John Kettler

I lived in Moscow from 94-99. When I lived there, it was also against the law to sell the HSU medal; I knew a guy who looked into getting one, and he dropped the idea when the whole process turned cloak-and-dagger.

As to whether it is right or wrong--the fact is that many Russian WWII vets and their descendants are destitute. The value of the pensions they receive are pathetic. I think that if the family thinks that they'd be better off with the cash rather than a piece of metal, that should be their call. Hopefully most families would choose otherwise, but in dire circumstances many people would probably rather have bread on the table.

76mm,

Didn't know it was against the law there, but I can't say I'm surprised. Strongly concur regarding your argument about grotesquely inadequate pensions in an economy with no resemblance to the one for which the pensions were structured. OTOH, we have active duty enlisted here living on food stamps while the "defense" contractors grow ever fatter. Gah!

Regards,

John Kettler

It was an award a man won in a war. It's his property and he ought to be able to do with it what he wants (unless he's a communist, maybe, lol). Certainly in capitalist society, like the USA, is ought to be legal. He fought for freedom, after all, didn't he?

Anyhow, that has to be the greatest medal ever. He's a Genuine Govt-Recognized Hero! They need to rename the CMoH. Maybe the Congressional Medal of Heroes.