Low-res mods?

If you look under terrain in CMMODS you should find some decent LoRes grass and LoRes snow. I can't remember who did 'em but they do the trick.

Also look under MikeyD for my 1/2 Res terrain doodads: bushes, grass, wheat, etc. They look just like the others (especially if you computer's down-rezing the game) and I've found they're often just enough to keep the mac from down-resing that last fatal step.

Originally posted by Holdit:

Are there any low-res mods available for CMBB? I'm thinking paricularly of terrain. My system runs CMBB too slowly for it to be fun.

TIA etc.

Paul

You can also make em lo-res yourself very easily.

Load terrain BMPs to paint shop pro (or some similar graphics program). Then resize all your terrain bmps to 50% of original. You can also decreace color depth to 256 colors for grass tiles. It's barely noticeable, but makes resulting files LOT smaller.

Then just save it all and copy to CMBB bmp directory. I did this for CMBO ground tiles and have it running much faster then it used to.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

If you look under terrain in CMMODS you should find some decent LoRes grass and LoRes snow. I can't remember who did 'em but they do the trick.

Also look under MikeyD for my 1/2 Res terrain doodads: bushes, grass, wheat, etc. They look just like the others (especially if you computer's down-rezing the game) and I've found they're often just enough to keep the mac from down-resing that last fatal step.

I've downloaded your doodads and Captain Wacky's low-res terrain and the game seems a lot more playable now.

Many thanks for the help! Thanks also to illo for the DIY tip.

Paul

I think I can make this a whole lot easier.

Go to this website:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Download Irfanview and install it.

Irfanview has a batch processing function wher eyou can specify some or all of the images in a directory and then convert the bit-depth, change the size of the images (fixed values or percentage, tweak the gamma and other colour values.

This is the program I used to reduce the bit depth of all of the CMBB BMPs to 8-bit to improve the performace on my laptop.

Heck, just for kicks I reduced everything to binary. Man did that look awful. :eek:

I also used it to convert all of the images to 24-bit for use on my main computer at home that could handle the graphics load.

It only takes a few minutes to process the entire CMBB BMP directory.

Oh yeah, and Irfanview is freeware. :D

Hope this helps.

I cringe thinking what auto-downresing would do to bmp art files that contain a knockout magenta color (which is a good percentage of them). I imagine at best you'd see a fair amount of 'pinkies' show up along the edges of the art. Let's not even mention the worst-case scenarios!

If you're going to play with the art PLEASE backup you original art first. Otherwise you may be sorry.