Reload time for Soviet rocket artillery

I searched on this but couldn't find a previous thread -- it appears that Soviet rocket batteries have a reload time of 0 in CMBB 1.03. I've done a few tests with the scenario editor, adding more rounds to various rocket FO teams than they have tubes. For the Germans there is a delay of 3-5 minutes for reloading between every salvo. For the Soviets all the rockets seem to come in, one salvo immediately after another, until all their ammo is gone. Maybe I'm mistaken, as it is hard to tell exactly how many rockets are landing when there are dozens coming in in the space of 30 seconds, but that is how it looks to me.

Anyone else notice this? Did I miss a previous discussion on the topic?

The Soviets pretty much fired their entire salvo of rocket artillery at once - there really was nothing selective about it. That was the whole point of rocket artillery - to hit an area in a matter of seconds with a huge amount of explosive tonnage. The more that can be brought to bear, the better. Also, the Soviets never reloaded from their launch location, and tried to vacate the position within 1 minute of launching. German counter artillery could pick out a rocket artillery signature fairly easily and quickly.

As an aside, for what it's worth 132mm rockets were the standard for most Soviet Guards Mortar units.

Exactly.

Soviet and german rocket system, although both being rocket-powered, differed wastly in their concept.

Nebelwerfers were "just another artilery", they were towed guns which had to be positioned, deployed, then loaded and fired repeat until end.

"Katyushas", or "Guard Mortairs" were mobile weapon, mostly mounted on the lend-lease "Studebekker" trucks.

They were driving into firing position, aiming, fire all their ammo and then immidiatly driving away. The whole fire session would last less then a minute, giving germans no chance to open counter-arty fire or send aviation.

Also notice that firing all the munitions simultaneously gives a huge edge in CM: your enemy doesn't have any time to adapt to the barrage. It's there, it's gone, and then your troops come rolling in.

The only problem is the hideous inaccuracy, that both reduces the rocket bombardment's potency in comparison to it's cost, and also widens the safe distance to the fire zone, forcing your troops to maneuver from a further distance after the rockets have landed.

I guess I didn't make my point clearly -- Say you have a rocket battery with 36 launch rails. You give that battery 72 rockets. In CMBB that battery will launch 36 rockets, and then (apparently) launch another salvo of 36 rockets, with no time needed for reloading. Obviously this isn't physically possible, so I assume it's either 1) a bug, or 2) a design decision to allow the battery to use the ammo when it can't actually reload in the CMBB timeframe.

I take it no one has discussed this yet, though.

Originally posted by Steve McClaire:

I guess I didn't make my point clearly -- Say you have a rocket battery with 36 launch rails. You give that battery 72 rockets. In CMBB that battery will launch 36 rockets, and then (apparently) launch another salvo of 36 rockets, with no time needed for reloading. Obviously this isn't physically possible, so I assume it's either 1) a bug, or 2) a design decision to allow the battery to use the ammo when it can't actually reload in the CMBB timeframe.

I take it no one has discussed this yet, though.

Think of it as a second truck.

There were basically 2 types of rocket artillery launchers in WW2 - reloadable, and disposable.

the 6-barrelled Nebelwerfers and multi-rail Russian Katyusha's were obviously reloadable.

The German 28/32 cm could be either (they could be fired from their packing crates (disposable) or loaded into launchers), and Russian 30cm ones were fired from crude wooden troughs that probably were only used once.

Certainly an extra truck could be added, but equally reloads could be provided.

So I suspect that it is more oversight by BTS than anything conceptual at all!!

The difference between the standard Katyusha and the Nebelwerfer is that one was on a motor carriage, and the other needed to be hooked up to something. I have no idea whether the Katyusha redeployed after every firing, but it would make sense for them to do so. In which case the reload time is:

a) Time to PUFO at location

B) Time to travel to new destination

c) Time for reloading and recalculating firing position, unless position was prepared.

Whether that is stuff that would happen in a single scenario is anyone's guess.

For the Nebelwerfer, I have seen pictures of it being dug in quite well. There also was a variety mounted on a fully armoured half-track, and I have seen it firing from the open (only preparation was a foxhole dug for the operators). So there seems to have been more variety, but I guess you can defend a simulation approach that leaves them in place and reloading there. Which is rather quick, because there are only six tubes per launcher, and they are quite accessible.

They are not identical weapon systems, so a differential handling of them is not a problem per se.

Note - the above only applies to the standard varieties.