CMBB Graphics

I spent a few decades gaming with paper counters that had nothing on them but unit symbols and numbers. Yet strangely enough they looked like tanks and soldiers and aircraft to me... I played on maps that used generic terrain symbols to represent villages and forests and rivers or swatches of flat colour. And they looked real to me. And when we got little silhouettes on the counters - WOW, were they ever realistic!

CMBB has great graphics for those of us brought up in the wargame era. Besides, they're just icing on the cake. the real treat is the engine and the database that it runs on. I don't need much more at this scale - and the plucky modders out there have already exceeded my expectations!

Ian

Compared to the few other relatively new games I've seen I think there are a couple of areas where the CMBB graphic rule:

- Vehicle accuracy and detail.

I've seen many a scewed or otherwise odd looking vehicle in other games...

The only downside in CMBB is the non-round wheels.

- Explosions.

Compare to "Battlefield 1942" and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers

Olle

Most of the period games that I've seen in the stores don't hold a candle to CMBB's graphics ( even the un-modded ones ). The only thing that kind of bugs me is the hands ( this was dealt with previously in another thread as to why they aren't modded ). That's a pretty small thing though.

I really think CM strikes an almost perfect balance with its graphics. They are good enough to enhance game play but not take away from it. I have played enough games where every unit is a piece of art and about as intelligent as a picture.

What I would like to see is soldiers doing real soldier things when you zoom in. You know, making coffee, sleeping, drinking from canteens. It would make me feel like a squad leader again. :D