Tanks that freak out

duh.jpg

I don't understand what I just saw .. The StuGIIIB in this pic, now dead meat, was sitting with a nice comfy hulldown position right above (or 10m forward if you prefer) the surviving and unmoved tank. It was facing the intersection front on. No orders are pending.

Sequence of events during the turn..

* Noise of tank heard by me

* Unknown tank appears around the far rubble

* Red or yellow line (can't remember) appears from StuG to unknown tank now id'd as KV (it will be a T-34)

* "Fire Smoke" grey line appears from the StuG extending forward..

* Smoke fires and appears..

* StuG accelerates FORWARD, THROUGH the smoke, and curves to the RIGHT during which, and ending up, its entire side facing the lethal enemy.

* Enemy fires once, predictable results

Why did it do that?

It had hull down wrt to the far side of that crossing, it could have stayed and fought.

It could have shot smoke and reversed.

It could have shot smoke and stayed.

Instead it decided to do the dumb thing

As you can see its Veteran, plenty of ammo, and now shocked soon to be entirely dead.

No the StuG was well positioned, not flanked, look at the picture, it was on the smoke, facing up hill to the intersection, right at the t-34 as it rounded the rubble.

the smoke it popped appeared right over the tank, even though the aiming line was 100m away. Actually that seems to happen a lot with freaked out tanks, they pop smoke and there is an aiming line maybe 50-100m out, but the smoke appears right over them instead..

regardless of smoke, it was a good spot, reversing would have been better if it was freaked out, but instead it went forward and curved to the right to end where you see it, side-on and shot through.

Sounds reasonable to me. An STuGIIIB that thinks it's up against a KV1 isn't gonna hang around,regardless of it's position.(Unless it's on the KV's flank or rear.).

Simply put,your guys thought they had a real good chance to die if they hung around,so they decided to get the hell outta there.

Unfortunately,they panicked and went the wrong way. It happens...happened at times in r/l too.

TheSatyr

[ January 07, 2003, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Darryl60 ]

Originally posted by Darryl60:

Sounds reasonable to me. An STuGIIIB that thinks it's up against a KV1 isn't gonna hang around,regardless of it's position.(Unless it's on the KV's flank or rear.).

Simply put,your guys thought they had a real good chance to die if they hung around,so they decided to get the hell outta there.

Unfortunately,they panicked and went the wrong way. It happens...happened at times in r/l too.

TheSatyr

Yea, that is kind of what I was thinking...

Actually that seems to happen a lot with freaked out tanks, they pop smoke and there is an aiming line maybe 50-100m out, but the smoke appears right over them instead..
That's the smoke dispenser, not a smoke round from the main gun. Crews use it on their own as they think necessary.

Doug

FWIW here's my guess. The Stug for a moment identified it as an impervious KV tank. 'Bloody Hell' thought the Stug commander and popped smoke. 'Lets get out of here'.

He jams it into reverse and then realises he can't go back as there is a tank parked right behind him which is blocking his path. So he throws it forward and swerves off to one side to try to get out of the way instead.

The only potential problem I can see with it is that the TAC-AI couldn't figure out a way to reverse around the tank behind.

The TAC-AI plots a 'Reverse' order line which in this case was blocked and which prompts it to try and find another way out of it's position, rather than waiting for an invulnerable KV to arrive.

Moral of the story: Leave room for tanks to reverse!

[ January 07, 2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Rex_Bellator ]