Ground Pressure .... need information

My new PBEM versus Sublime turns out to be a rain map. That seems to imply some possiple "bogging" problems.

Could someone tell me up to what PSI stats vehicles are resonable safe from bogging, and from where one I should start to worry?

Also, does moving slower reduce the chance of bogging?

Any info would be appreciated, because I dont have a clue what to do with the given PSI Numbers and if they are good or bad.

Shouldnt area of contacting roadwheels affect bogging as much as ground pressure? (i believe ground pressure youre talking about takes only in account vehicle weight and track area.)

Ie. More and larger roadwheels=better mobility.

Ground pressure would be more evenly divided along whole track (ala panther and tiger). Actually that is AFAIK whole idea of tracks. To speard ground pressure on larger area.

Rain doesn't necessarily mean your chances to bog will go up. If the ground conditions are still good then you are pretty safe with nearly anything. Of course there are always those vehicles that seem to bog even on pavement (Stugs spring to mind) but the ground conditions are more important than the weather.

Think of it as not what the weather is doing but what it has been doing. If the rain just started the ground will still be fine. If it has been raining for a week it is a different story.

Originally posted by illo:

Shouldnt area of contacting roadwheels affect bogging as much as ground pressure? (i believe ground pressure youre talking about takes only in account vehicle weight and track area.)

Ie. More and larger roadwheels=better mobility.

Ground pressure would be more evenly divided along whole track (ala panther and tiger). Actually that is AFAIK whole idea of tracks. To speard ground pressure on larger area.

You are right. Not only more and larger roadwheels, but the length of the track shoes makes a difference. For example the T-34 had far better floatation than the Cromwell despite the tanks being otherwise similar, as the British engineers had halved Christies' track shoe length to reduce pin wear and noise.

More details at angelfire.com/trek/mytravels, click on 'other interests' then 'ground pressure papers'.