Sherman Use of Gyrostabilizer

FM 17-12 presents some interesting advice on the use of the Sherman gyro stabilizer:

"FIRING WHILE MOVING"

"Firing with the 75mm gun while moving is inaccurate and causes an uneconomical expenditure of ammunition. Do it only in an emergency and at ranges of 600 yards or less."

Even with a gyro stabilizer 600 yards is about it, and misses are expected. The 600 yard range may be based on a reasonable hit probability given the initial range estimation (which may contain some error), and the small angle errors that will occur with a stabilizer.

"Firing while moving requires close teamwork between driver and gunner. Drive at a constant speed: acceleration and decleration upset the action of the stabilizer. Drive in a straight line, otherwise the gun yaws as the tank turns. When going over rough terrain, do not fight the gun (attempting to keep it on target by spinning the elevating handwheel) but wait until a constant speed and regained and the action of the stabilizer has smoothed out."

Gyro stabilizer needs flat even surfaced terrain.

"The stabilizer will not lay the gun. It merely tends to keep the gun where it has been laid: that is, it eliminates extremely jerky movements caused by the movement of the tank. Even with a stabilizer, the gun does not hold constantly on the target. Watch the swing of the gun through the target and fire as the proper sight setting crosses the target."

It's not as simple as laying the gun on the target and then firing away. It's kind of like shooting at a moving target, except one has to wait for the target to enter the crosshairs and then quickly get off the shot.

Nothing real new here...doesnt we hade a giant thread in the beginning from CMBO?

Self moving doesnt prefent from beeing hit so why lower your own chances for a hit?...

I think..its better to move-stop-shoot, then shooting on the move. When someone aiming at a moving target, he try to estimate the speed and aimed a bit in front of you. If your own tank stops at the moment where your ennemy shoots..you will maybe surprise him...he must retargeting....in the meantime you have the chance to get a shoot out...only my thoughts.

But it begs the question, do the Shermans get a % to hit bonus while shooting on the move, like in CMBO?

I remember some veterans even sying they disabled the gyro's, which I takee it meant they werent very effective at all. So, a % to hit bonus would be wrong, as I see it anyways.

Huh..you didnt notice this in CMBO? I tell you one occurance i hade wile playing the ai.

I hade a Panther hull down in waiting position on the flank. A Hellcat, over 500 yards away, moved with full speed along a steep ridgway, made a Turret hit while moving horinzontally to my tank (broadside). What makes it perfekt, he didnt move on a flat surface, he hade possible 20 degree and the gun elevation was on the max.

Not even with modern tanks you can do that.

Those vet accounts i read also.

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

? I know that the germs intended to put on the Panther II a two way gyro...so far my knowledge..

WaPruf 6 had killed the Panther II project by 4th may 1943 (1995 Jentz). Supporting this was the change in basing the JadgPanther on the Panther I hull as opposed to the initial requirement of the Panther II hull.

The Panther ausf F with the Schmaltrum had a dampaning springs for the gun elevation, no gyro. The ausf F was to sport T.Z.F.13 sights or trial/production S.Z.F.1 stabilised sights, again no gyro.