Are captured soldiers "human shields"???

I ask because I am currently playing a game where I have a platoon of enemy infantry bunched up in a patch of woods around the captured survivor of an MG. I can't get mortars area-targeted on the woods to fire. They don't have a LOS, but an unmolested platoon HQ with command over them does. Alas, defeat looms for Peace-Loving Motherland.

I created a test map and it appears that you cannot indirectly area target (e.g. with a mortar) within approximately 20 meters (!) of a captured friendly. Yet, when assaulting a position, say a foxhole, an area fire frequently continues until the assaulting soldiers are in the foxhole.

Why are these two situations handled differently?

I can understand this somewhat from a gameplay perspective... if captured troops are worth more points to the side that captured them, you don't want to enable the side that lost them to be able to easily kill them, depriving the capturing side of those aditional points. Also, realistically, I'm not going to shoot at my buddy who was captured.

However, the 20M exclusion radius seems pretty severe. Even if the capturing player doesn't intentionally use the captured soldier as a gamey human shield by moving him along with his troops, he's still able to sit in the "island" created where he captures the soldier.

So, uh, why can I area fire almost on top of my soldiers in one condition, but can't shoot anywhere near them in the other? Or am I daft?

And yes, I ran a rudimentary search but didn't find this issue addressed. I recall a thread like this at some point, but I think it was a year or more ago in the CM:BO forum. Age is making my brain soft. :rolleyes:

[ March 01, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: bbaker ]

I beleive the problem is with HE area fire rather than MG area fire. From my experience you simply can't area fire within roughly 20 metres of one of your own captured men due to there being a fair chance the randomness of an explosion will kill your countrymen. However, I believe you can area fire with an MG or of course, you can directly target any enemy troops nearby with direct fire HE, assuming you're able to see any nearby enemy units.

Regards

Jim R.

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I did A test (one) and area targeted some enemy and ran in some of my troops right on top of the enemy. I arranged it so that the enemy could not shoot. How I did this, I can't remember, but what I found was that the area fire did not affect my troops at all. Not even to make them cautious. And yes, the area fire did continue even when my troops were on top of the enemy.

A side concern of mine is (and I've only read this on the forum) is that captured troops can get un-captured...how, I don't know, but my question is, do the freed prisoners get rifle, ammo or what? If it was a squad, do they get a rifle and low ammo???

Edited out the word gun to put in rifle. I'm not a grog, but I just remember in boot camp saying, this is my rifle, this is my gun...etc.

[ March 02, 2003, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: JAT ]

Thanks guys, I guess the Ever-Victorious Motherland will have to find another way to beat back the fascist aggressors. And to the gulag with the cowards who surrendered! :D

And I can't accuse my opponent of being gamey, he hasn't advanced the captured soldiers with him, they just happened to surrender in a very strategic patch of forest. Where are my iron-fisted party commissars when I need them?

Hopefully the wierdness with HE area fire will be sorted out with CM II!