** W.I.P. - Panther D Late **

So here it is what I like to call my first real 'meta-mod': a Panther Ausf.D Late/Ausf.A Initial Production Series (what it actually is) done with MikeyD's wonderful base art.

Now with correct road wheels, correct engine deck and correct fenders. I recolored it and changed a few minor details. Sadly the polygons aren't very accurate, so I had to cheat sometimes...

Now the only thing left is to find a nice camouflage pattern!

<a href="http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wipxm1.jpg" target="_blank">wipxm1.th.jpg

Yep, all legitimate changes. Go for it dude! (That's what i get for ending my ReadMe files with "You may alter, modify, or redistribute this mod in any way you wish..." D'oh!) ;):D

Like I said at the start, the Panther series is a big scarey project and I'm as surprised as anyone that I've managed to get the mods as close as I have. About the polygons not being particularly accurate - they did turn out better than the default art would've led us to believe, so the glass could be considered half-full in that regard.

Right, it worked better than I had imagined, too. It's still an awful lot of work getting only minor details accurate, so I know why you waited so long to take it on... :D

By the way, you can use the new road wheels for your next panther mods. ;)

And you know what's funny? I just noticed I made a mistake in the end - wrong number of bolts on the road wheels. That's what happens if you mix different BMP's. Well, it's just a WIP and I'm just starting. Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little update so you know I'm still on it... doing Zimmerit isn't as easy as I thought.

Turret layer is still missing but will be done in the next few days.

zimmeritresizemw8.jpg

If someone wonders: this pattern was seen on a tank of SS-PzDiv 'Wiking' near Kovel in 1944. I reworked some other features to fit the pictures I have.

More to come...

[ February 08, 2007, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

Yeh, doing Zimmerit sucks... until it starts working, then it starts to feel like a great accomplishment! ;)

I know its a difficult thing to do to your beautiful Zim art, but you might want to further reduce opacity on your Zim layer to make it a touch more subtle. My waffle pattern Zim started out looking REALLY waffle-like! I had to keep reducing and reducing the layer opacity til - to my eyes - it almost wasn't there at all! But that's what it took to make it look in-scale on the polygon.

Interesting... would it possible to scan and post a few of them? I only have b/w pictures and the authors of my books seem to have found bicolor camouflage patterns on the tanks, sometimes even tricolor...

This particular tank which will, in fact, be an Initial A will get a tricolor pattern like my sources suggest it had.

But these pictures you talk of would really interest me since I do not own that book you talk of...