Flamethrowers and how to use them...

Here's an important tip. If you have a flamethrower equipped AFV, make sure you know which command will fire the flamethrower. Crocodiles will fire only if you answer NO to "Use main gun?" The opposite is true for the Italian L3 33 flame tankette, this despite the main gun on the L3 33 series being an MG. I don't remember what it is for the Wasp (used once, years ago). The Flammpanzer III (currently found only in CMBB but should also be in CMAK) should require a YES response because the flamethrower replaces the main gun, and my memory's unclear on the 251/16. Have doubtless left out a few types, but the concept should be clear.

Unless/until BFC implements a simple, straightforward Flame command or similar, knowing your weapon selection switchology for a given flame vehicle type is vital, for not knowing it can cost you dearly in game terms. Do not be like Hysterium in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" who confessed his martial failure as "I arched when I should have slung. I had to flee."

Regards,

John Kettler

Yeah, I just had a L3 33 doing nothing useful and then getting killed due to it. This mess is unfortunately. Although I supposed it is systematic, a MG can never be a main gun. So if there is a real gun you say "no" to fire the flamethrower, otherwise you say "yes".

The wasp does not have a MG so the question is not asked by the engine.

The wasp however becomes unable to fire the FT when it is shocked - which opens the question why it doesn't automatically button up when firing. If that dude has something so important to do then I supposed he has to do it from controls inside the vehicle, goes he?

KR,

"Forum" was the first musical I ever did. Got into it in my new high school because a) all my friends in "A" period choir were auditioning, and B) because I was in my fourth year of Latin, and I knew the show was about Rome. Several of the cast principals were screw ups, so I understudied them (had entire show memorized), but our Hysterium (name deliberately chosen to reflect character's over wound, hysterical nature) was great, and is a close friend and wargaming buddy of mine for 21+ years. Unfortunately, he lives on the other coast. I am, however, doing my best to draw him and several others into our CM web. The full quote was

"...and then, at the height of battle, I panicked. I arched when I should have slung. I had to flee."

It seemed so delightfully illustrative of the point I was trying to make.

redwolf,

Thanks for the clarification. It's been several years since I last used Wasps, but I believe the answer may lie in sighting efficiency. Like any AFV, the Wasp spots targets better while unbuttoned. In fact, U.S. Army data indicates that a buttoned tank is only half as effective as an unbuttoned one. Guess the situation is similar for unbuttoned vs. buttoned Wasps. Couldn't remember whether it had an MG or not, and was tired when I posted, so elected not to go out on a limb on that aspect of the matter. What I do remember, though, is that the Wasp was nasty, relatively long ranged with its flamethrower, and hard to hit. One of mine survived a hail of fire for several turns and basically shattered a dug in German platoon, a platoon I couldn't otherwise effectively engage and which shredded every infantry attack I made against it. I distracted the Germans with yet another attempt as the Wasp whipped in from the rear quarter and breathed fire with great effect.

Regards,

John Kettler