A quiz with a prize!

Hey Hey ladies and gents. Just recently somone close bought me a book I already owned, my immediate thought was to give it away on this forum to anyone in England Wales or Scotland because of shipping costs.

The first to answer these questions will win the 900 days the seige of leningrad by Harrison E Salisbury.

1. what was the 15th Guards rifle division called before it was given the status of 'Guards'?.

2. who was the commander of the Tirpitz for its first two years of commision?.

Thanks.

Dan

Originally posted by Dan5681:

Hey Hey ladies and gents. Just recently somone close bought me a book I already owned, my immediate thought was to give it away on this forum to anyone in England Wales or Scotland because of shipping costs.

The first to answer these questions will win the 900 days the seige of leningrad by Harrison E Salisbury.

1. what was the 15th Guards rifle division called before it was given the status of 'Guards'?.

2. who was the commander of the Tirpitz for its first two years of commision?.

Thanks.

Dan

1. 15th Rifle Division? Just guessing. ;)

No idea what the predecessor was, but blimey was 15th Guards Rifle decorated...

From Skalman.nu:

Awards

Order of Lenin

Order of Red Banner x 2

Order of Suvorov

Order of Kutuzov

Order of Red Banner (44., 47 & 50 Guards Rifle Regiment & 43. Guards Artillery Regiment)

Order of Suvorov (43. Guards Artillery Regiment)

Order of Alexander Nevskiy (44. Guards Rifle Regiment)

Order of Bogdan Khmelnitskiy (47. Guards Rifle Regiment)

Honour titles

Khrakov

Prague

Czestochowa (50. Guards Rifle Regiment)

Oder (43. Guards Artillery Regiment)

Prague (47. Guards Rifle Regiment)

Silesia (44. Guards Rifle Regiment)

While we're on the subject of Guards units, can anyone explain how a unit got that designation? Was it linked to superior performance, training, experience, or equipment? Once a Guards unit was so designated, did it get priority on advanced equipment, or other advantages?

When were the first Guards units formed? What percentage of the army had Guards designation by the end of the war?

Guidance on any of these questions--or connection with appropriate websites-- would be much appreciated.

I know a little about them. They were the result of the reforms after the dissasters of 1941. The Red Army returned to a lot of the old honors and traditions that the Bolshevick revolution had declared obsolete like officer insignia and such. The title was normally one of honor for performance and did entitle a unit for priority on equipment as well as missions. For example most of the T34-85s went to the Guards first while many line units had 76s till late in the war. They were often the main blow of any operation. Not necessarily the lead unit but the one that was supposed to strike the decisive blow.