D-Day Landings

Hi Gents,

I was lucky enough to be over in Normandy this weekend and managed to see a few sites.

We attended the ceremonies at St Mere and Utah and wandered around the places.

Called in at the Polish cemetery near Falaise and noted the men that had died trying to close the gap.

The Canadian cemetery is not too far up the same road as is the first place of burial for Wittman and some of his crew.

The site at Pegasus was special and the museum there had a great chap doing some good talks explaining what had happened.

Lots of Vets about and some re-enactors (mainly French).

People seem to be getting ready for next year and the 60th Anniversary and that would be a good time to arrange a trip if you can. (If you can book a place to stay that is.)

A special place and very moving.

We did spend some time looking at the older picture. Normandy was first Invaded by the Vikings and then their descendants invaded the UK in 1066.

Funny that we then came back to liberate our forefathers some 878 years later.

H

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

War of 1812.

Michael

We needed to find one that Canada won without American help. (shrugs) </font>

Originally posted by Holien:

Lots of Vets about and some re-enactors (mainly French).

People seem to be getting ready for next year and the 60th Anniversary and that would be a good time to arrange a trip if you can. (If you can book a place to stay that is.)

H

I'm hoping to spend a few days hiking from Juno to Falaise with a group of Royal Winnipeg Rifles re-enactors; I do believe they intend to sleep in barns and ditches on the way, so accommodations may not be a problem - providing they get the requisite permissions from the French govnerment and the landowners on the route. If anyone else is interested, let me know.

Royal Winnipeg Rifles re-enactors eh?

I'll be damned, thats pretty impressive. smile.gif

If you or these re-enactors are interessted in contact with the R.Wpg.Rif. let me know and I can hook you up with either the Regimental Kit Shop (who can hopefully help you get a hold of stuff like period shoulder flashes and other Regimental accountrements - for WWII Battledress I assume) or alternately, I could hook you up with the Curator for the Regimental Museum who may be able to supply you with any Regimental information you require or might find useful.

I'm sure my Colonel would be quite interested to know more about these re-enactors, if there is indeed much more to know. Its really unfortunate that I'll only be able to mention to him about these re-enactors now; as he was just over in Normandy for the opening of the Juno Beach Centre and could have perhaps contacted them, even if just to say hello and thanks. smile.gif

In any event, I'll be talking with him tonight so I'll have to pass this along.

As a serving member myself, its the first I've ever heard about re-enactors representing the Rifles - not that I've got a monopoly on everything remotely related to the Regiment.

Interesting, and cool :cool: - thanks for the info. smile.gif

- Edit -

I'd be interested in learning more about this trek you and these other re-enactors have in mind - could you tell me more Michael?

Thanks smile.gif

[ June 10, 2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Little_Black_Devil ]

Hi Michael,

I suggest you do the full thing and start in the UK in London for a beer and then sail on the night crossing of the Portsmouth to Cherbourg ferry.

smile.gif

You will arrive on the morning of the 6th..

Good luck and I am sure you will get all the permission you need.

I will see what I am doing next year nearer the time.

H

P.s. I am sure there will be a few people to buy you beers over here.

;)