Need Learning Mission or tutorial

Hello:

Brand new here. I read the FAQ,s and did a search to find a learning mission or tutorial. I found a lot on modding but not on how to play the game. I'm sure there's something but I am having trouble finding it. Are there any (apart from demos)?

Also, this looks like a great game and community who loves history and esp WWII. Can't wait to start learning more right away! smile.gif

Welcome to the forum, aka a vast encyclopedia of all things CM

Check this thread from the FAQ:

3rd post down

There is decribed everything you might need to know, presuming you know the basics (hunt, move, sneak, from your manual). Some of the the tactics might be relevant to CMBO as CMBB introduced new and/or improved features. But study them well as you can learn a lot from the distilled experience.

I'd also recommend doing a seach on the forums for the name of a scenario from the disk you think you'd like to play, as you'll generally find discussion of relevant tactics and AARs.

Be prepared to make plenty of mistakes with an occasional glimmer of good fortune sprinkled in for good luck.

Avoid anyone who has a 'Peng' in his post

Good hunting.

PS. rereading your post I'm not sure you've even got the demo - If so d/l CMBO demo to get a grip with the basic moves & tactics of CM in some damn excellent scenarios. Bear with the 'basic' graphics as the gameplay is the best bit. Mods can and will improve the appearance of the full game.

I've found its play, read, mod and learn - rinse and repeat for 3 years or so.

Read any tactical primer/discussion written by JasonC.

Originally posted by JohnCalvin:

Hello:

Brand new here. I read the FAQ,s and did a search to find a learning mission or tutorial. I found a lot on modding but not on how to play the game. I'm sure there's something but I am having trouble finding it. Are there any (apart from demos)?

Also, this looks like a great game and community who loves history and esp WWII. Can't wait to start learning more right away! smile.gif

[ October 21, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Wicky:

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I understand the drill. I am also currently learning ASL so i guess it's more brain exercises. I'll pick a small battle and play it over and over again until I learn the game.

Does it live up to the amazing reviews? They are really amazing when you read them.

JC

Welcome aboard!

The controls themselves are very intuitive, so I expect your biggest problem will be to develop the proper tactics. It is for me smile.gif

For learning tactics, you could try reading some AARs and then trying out the scenario yourself.

I would recommend "Gefächtsaufklärung", as it is a small, relatively straightforward scenario.

AAR here

You'll find links to additional AARs here

Good luck!

[ October 22, 2003, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: Goose ]

Actually on the tips and tricks forum on this site at this very moment there is an excellent AR from a game in progress between some of those mentioned on this page. Its in the post "SMG platoons-excellence for defense".

Just skim read your way through until you get to where they start reporting their moves.

Some games I've played have had a beginner's section where you get to roam around the board for practice with little chance of dying. CM doesn't have that, the demo's the same as any tutorial scenarios, which are the same as te real game.

A big help for CM is to think of is as the 'real world'. In the real world you wouldn't assault a fifty man position with ten men, in the real world you wouldn't scamper across open ground in the teeth of heavy mg fire, etc. 'Real world' logic will take you a long way in the game.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I understand the drill. I am also currently learning ASL so i guess it's more brain exercises. I'll pick a small battle and play it over and over again until I learn the game.
Starting small is always a good way to go. I'd also consider starting a quick battle, and isolating unit types. Try a 500 point Infantry battle, then a 500 point Armor battle. Combined arms battles are a bit difficult as a learning tool.

If you're familiar with the commands, start learning strategies and tactics found here:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000812

(See the 3rd post down, the one with a bizillion links)

(Shameless website plug: I'm the webmaster for http://www.asl-forums.net if you're interested in discussing ASL)

Phemur

Phemur:

Thanks to you and everyone else. I am just learning this game, but with each day I can see why it got the amazing reviews it did.

I know your ASL forum well. In fact, I posted my ASL website and Newsletter (actually its more of a journal) on there. Check out your announcements page!!!

If ASLer's like this game, it explains the good nature of most of the posts.

For newbies like me, there is actually a tutorial in the manual, page 178. smile.gif

Cheers,

JC

Poor Man's ASL Website

[ October 23, 2003, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: JohnCalvin ]