On board artillery in command

Does an onboard artillery unit have to be 'in command' in order to launch an indirect fire attack?

The reason why I ask, my last battle I attempted to target an enemy unit with an onboard mortar attack and when I clicked on the 'Target' icon I was able to move the 'line' around the battlefield but everywhere I moved it, it said 'Out of range'. I was confused as to whether this was meaning that the target was out of range or whether the mortar unit was out of command range.

hello former sp player. this is again different from other wargames. it is done for play balance. the trick is to get something, i.e. spotter, flamethrower, tank hunter, closer without getting them killed. not easy imo.

you cannot find the enemy, then pummel them to win like sp. on first turn you can set prebombardment target. see manual. if you are russians it may be off target, late or not at all. planes are like sp, they bomb their own,lol

Originally posted by Adamo:

Will mortars continue to fire until they are out of ammo once given a target or do they fire once and then await orders?

They will quite happily keep firing until they are completely out of ammo. They will also keep on with an area fire mission long after whatever was in the area has moved away. You need to keep an eye on the mortars from turn to turn to make sure they are not wasting ammo.

Lt. Badger

"The Trick" to reduce ammo wastage with OB mortars is to give them a "Rotate" order -I´m too lazy, but I´ll try to discover searching who invented this-. The more degrees off target, the more seconds it will employ first rotating and then backing to point their target (around 20 seconds delay per 90 degrees. Maximum is 40 seconds for a 180º rotation). Obviously, the target will be free of bombardment the first part of the turn, so is a good idea to alternate the mortars in the pair with different delays (mortars always must be used in a two battery, or more).

((In older times, another trick was to give the mortar a tiny movement order, but my present experiment -with CMBO and a 3" mortar targeted via HQ- doesn´t work; probably only to for direct fire?))

Regards.