Inaccuracies and peculiarities in the Armament of the Hungarian Royal Army

In the Hungarian Army organized parachute troops. True, only few battalion fought, but the "Szent László" division's soldiers struggled with best performance. For example, in the battle of Budapest, they defend the southern area, in autumn (1944).

Will be appear the 29/38M 8cm air-defense gun (originally Bofors) in the game, by chance ? This cannon was one typical weapon of the Hungarian Army.

pic1570429.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/ranks.htm

I'm also looking to complete my Hungarian Responsibilities Table on the page noted above - if any of our esteemed Hungarian friends can help?

Basically, I want to do for them what I did for the Germans or Finns on the page - ie find out what ranks were typically held by men commanding battalions or companies, and by men leading platoons or squads. Also stuff like whether or not the Hungarians had the equal of a company sergeant major, regimental sergeant major, etc., or who the highest ranking NCOs were in the various infantry units.

[ December 19, 2002, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by uhu:

Some other minor "bug": i don't know, how it is completely in the game, but it is not almost correct, when Tigers and Panthers avaible were.

-Tigers: from 44.july-44.sept (some saw action at the battle of Torda in sept)

-Panthers: from 44.sept-44.febr.

Uhu,

I think there is a typo in what you posted about the Panther dates, as they seem to be reversed or something. When should the Panther be available to the Hungarians?

Thanks,

Charles

[ January 03, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Originally posted by Gordon:

Do any of the Hungarian contingent have good references for AVF camouflage used during the war?

Thanks,

Gordon

Apologize for late reply.

In the Royal Honvédség (Army) was established two type pattern. The game include either (the yellow-brown-green mixture), another is simple dark green camouflage.

For example: Csaba commander armored car with framework antenna.

pic1672135.jpg

Tibold Antal's work

There, some different camouflage: 40M Nimród

pic1672134.jpg

40/43M Zrínyi assault howitzer (Zrínyi II)

pic1672138.jpg

Bíró Ádám's works

Toldi I light tank

pic1672137.jpg

[ February 28, 2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Epaminondas ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I'm also looking to complete my Hungarian Responsibilities Table on the page noted above - if any of our esteemed Hungarian friends can help?

Basically, I want to do for them what I did for the Germans or Finns on the page - ie find out what ranks were typically held by men commanding battalions or companies, and by men leading platoons or squads. Also stuff like whether or not the Hungarians had the equal of a company sergeant major, regimental sergeant major, etc., or who the highest ranking NCOs were in the various infantry units.

The highest ranking NCO was the "alhadnagy" (approx: sub-lieutenant).In the Royal Honvédség (that came to an end 08. May 1945) don't use the company sergeant major (törzszászlós) rank, this established in the Hungarian Folk Army, in the communism.

The Royal Hungarian Army's rank classification:

Honvéd - men without rank ---- honvéd

Tisztes - approx. junior NCO's ---- őrvezető (private 1st class, lance corporal), tizedes (corporal), szakaszvezető (sergeant)

Altiszt - senior NCO's ---- őrmester (staff sergeant), törzsőrmester (approx: sergeant major), főtörzsőrmester (approx: commandant sergeant major), alhadnagy (approx: sub-lieutenant)

Tiszt - officer ---- zászlós (warrant officer), hadnagy (2nd lieutenant), főhadnagy (1st lieutenant), százados (captain), őrnagy (major), alezredes (lieutenant-colonel), ezredes (colonel)

Tábornok - general ---- etc.

The raj (squad) was commanded by szakaszvezető (!!! so accurate)(sergeant), or őrmester (staff sergeant).

Szakasz (platoon) - hadnagy (2nd lieutenant) or főhadnagy (1st lieutenent)

Század (company) - százados (captain) or őrnagy (major)

Zászlóalj (battalion) - őrnagy (major) or alezredes (lieutenant-colonel)

Ezred (regiment) - ezredes (colonel)

Dandár (brigade) - ezredes (colonel) or vezérőrnagy (brigadier general)...etc.

[ January 04, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Epaminondas ]

Originally posted by Epaminondas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The highest ranking NCO was the "alhadnagy" (approx: sub-lieutenant).In the Royal Honvédség (that came to an end 08. May 1945) don't use the company sergeant major (törzszászlós) rank, this established in the Hungarian Folk Army, in the communism.

The Royal Hungarian Army's rank classification:

Honvéd - men without rank ---- honvéd

Tisztes - approx. junior NCO's ---- őrvezető (private 1st class, lance corporal), tizedes (corporal), szakaszvezető (sergeant)

Altiszt - senior NCO's ---- őrmester (staff sergeant), törzsőrmester (approx: sergeant major), főtörzsőrmester (approx: commandant sergeant major)

Tiszt - officer ---- zászlós (warrant officer), hadnagy (2nd lieutenant), főhadnagy (1st lieutenant), százados (captain), őrnagy (major), alezredes (lieutenant-colonel), ezredes (colonel)

Tábornok - general ---- etc.

The raj (squad) was commanded by szakaszvezető (!!! so accurate)(sergeant), or őrmester (staff sergeant).

Szakasz (platoon) - hadnagy (2nd lieutenant) or főhadnagy (1st lieutenent)

Század (company) - százados (captain) or őrnagy (major)

Zászlóalj (battalion) - őrnagy (major) or alezredes (lieutenant-colonel)

Ezred (regiment) - ezredes (colonel)

Dandár (brigade) - ezredes (colonel) or vezérőrnagy (brigadier general)...etc.</font>

Originally posted by Gud:

Pure trivia question - how do you pronouce the ó in Nimród ? Is it same as Polish ó, read - "Nimrud" ??

No.

Hungarian o letter - pronunciation, short o (so simly)

Hungarian ó letter - long ó

Other example: Csaba armored car - Cs letter - pronunciation - like the English ch letter

Oh, I forgot the wrote the source of these info's. (I mentioned one: the militaric diary of AG South)

2., The Book from Attila Bonhardt/Gyula Sárhidai/László Winkler: The Weapons of the Royal Hungarian Army (I think, this is a "ground-book")

3., An article from Nobert Számvéber, who works in the Hungarian Militaric Archive. (not as cleaner-personal smile.gif )

I had observed, that the rarity of several armoured vehicles used by hungarian forces is also fair represented.

I can't give the exact %, but I write here the facts, so Battlefront could calculate from them.

Source is again the book The weapons of the Royal Hugarian Army from A.Bonhardt, Gy.Sárhidai, L.Winkler (in hungarian language) and an article from N.Számvéber.

I don't mention again the Panthers and Tigers, beacuse I mentioned them above.

The 2 2. armoured division got in 1944.jun. from the germans 10-12 PzIIIM-s, 12PzIVH-s, 10 StuGIIIG-s (and the Tigers). So, in this time, the rarity of that type of AVF-s should be not so high - also therefore, beacuse in this time only this armoured division was fight-ready, the another one (the 1. armoured division) not.

The 2. armoured div. got in 1944.sept. another 20 PzIVH-s . (there is no info, how many were lost from the earlier 12) So, the rarity-rate should be lower, than in 44.jun.! In the battle at Torda was the division hardly weakened, but that time is the 1. armoured div. also in action with several PzIVH-s, (not many - there isn't exactly data) so in october, the rarity-rate should be a little higher, than in september.

After that time, there isn't exactly data. how many PzIVH-s vere avaible: the whole number of the tanks given by the germans is about 72 . After the siege of Budapest, there is only the 2. armoured div. left, bacause the 1. was in the siege destroyed. So the PzIV-s reported in the 2.armoured div. represents the whole number of hungarian PzIVH-s.

So:

1944. nov.-dec.: the rarity-rate should be little higher, than in oct.

1945. jan.20. In the weekly report of the division, we can read about 26 fight-ready*** PzIVH -s, so the rarity-rate should be sure not so high, - maybe so high, as in 44.oct - even, if that represents the whole hungarian PzIVH number.

***Under fight-ready I mean vehicles, which are currently avaible for fight. Another ones are probably repaired.

1945.febr.: The rarity-rate should be higher, than in jan., because, in the heavy fights (Operation Konrad) the div. was weakened - the weekly report shows fewer fight-ready vecicles.

1945.march.: The rarity-rate should be between the rate of jan. and febr., beacuse before march.14. there was pause in the fights, but after the major russian attack, there were no ordinary refits, only hasty withdraws.

1945.apr-maj.: Ther rarity-rate should be very high - there isn't much left from the hungarian army...

Thanks for the attention, and excuse me fro the long post, but it must be done! :cool:

Uhu

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Thanks Uhu, I've made changes for v1.02.

Charles

Thanks Charles,

CMBB is surely not only the best WW2 game, but also the datas of the Royal Hungarian Army are the most correct ones in the history of WW2-wargames. Now, hopefully, it will be almost perfect. tongue.gif

Uhu

• 2 months later...