too hard ta capture enemy

PLM

I recently bought CMBB and i've come to the conclusion that its too damn hard to capture prisoners. I've had multiple instances were conscript squads of soviet infantry in a weakened state run back and forth caught in a crossfire of 2 German machine guns from opposite directions. they ran around back and forth amongst a little cover for 2 full turns before being wiped out. i've also noticed the only ones to surrender are usually 1 man survivors of squads. its very annoying wasting precious ammunition and time on guys that won't surrender. i've read posts on here describing how to capture enemy, that crews are more likely to surrender and being caught in a crossfire. but i know that lots (Millions) of soviet troops were captured in operation Barbarossa, so what the heck? and i know they were mostly isolated but i'm absolutely convinced its too dang hard even in the scope of the game. Veterans, you'd think would give up if caught in a crossfire like i've had men in. also, the kill to capture ratios are obviously off of reality in the majority of the game. great game btw. tongue.gif

its not just conscript soviets, everywhere its too dang hard. does it have to be explicitly close quarters to capture enemy or what??? if guys take so long to react after being shocked why would they never surrender in that state?? they seem to have to be routed completely and then some. i've also noticed that the morale has some to do with it..but come on. who's gonna call hq and ask what the overall morale is so they can put up their hands??

btw, if this isn't the right forum, can this be moved..or something?

Well, to be fair, soldiers on both sides of the Russo-German war were notoriously reluctant to surrender due to the known ill treatment of POWs by both sides. That said, I agree that the "Dance of Death" you describe is ridiculous and worse. It seldom describes how troops in real life were apt to react. Hopefully this is something that will be corrected in the engine rewrite.

BTW, the mass surrenders during Barbarossa were mostly at the behest of of the local higher HQs and not occurring on the level that CM portrays. So don't expect to ever see it in the game, no matter what.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

BTW, the mass surrenders during Barbarossa were mostly at the behest of of the local higher HQs and not occurring on the level that CM portrays. So don't expect to ever see it in the game, no matter what.

Michael

Well, your opponent can always surrender all his forces.

In addition to that, a lot of prisoners were taken during the pursuit, as there always were men or squads that got lost as their unit was retreating. Also in CM you might have enemies wounded in close combat - in which case they'd naturally end up as prisoners, but the game doesn't count any of those as POW's.

it would be great if one could surrender single units on will. sometimes i just feel sorry for my men trapped in desperate situation and wish i could make them surrender :(

having an unit surrender could cost only half the points it would cost to get the unit killed, or something.

though i must admit, usually the AI makes the units surrender just fine :D

I agree - it would be nice to have the option to surrender individual units stuck in an obviously impossible situation and/or stop their "dance of death".

I'm in a pbem as the Russians against Italians in '41 blizzard. So far two squads have surrendered with zero or one casualty, but other units are the typical surrender with one dude left... BvB

mhhI guess the surrend singular units option would be useless...Why would I surrender a unit that is doing a death dance?? They make great distraction and great enemy ammo absorbers...No way I will feel sorry for those dudes..despite the inmense great game it is and the cool grafics...they are still digital soldiers...best thing would be inideed (imho) to have the coding altered so that units instead of doing a useless death dance will auto surrender more quickly aspecialiy if enemy units are really pretty close (so surrender at 4 death in a 9 men squad instead of oly the last men surrenderig)

my 2 centimos