Biltong's Campaign Rules

Problems extracting Biltaid.

Help me. Please. I am trying to get Biltaid to run, but it doesn't unpack per the release notes. I made a directory in my C drive, called it Biltaid, with no spaces as stated. I used folders option in winzip, and extracted it to the Biltaid folder. In the biltaid folder there is now a biltaid 1 0 4 file, which I extract again. I get another folder a biltaid 1 0 4 jar folder with a bunch of further subdirectories like utl, cmmbcampaign, com, and meta-inf, along with a biltaid.1 file. The release notes said I should get a classes and resources directory, along with a BiltaidUi.bat file which I can't find anywhere. I downloaded Stuffit, and re-extracted it and get the same thing. On top of that, everytime the release notes are extracted, McAuffee pops up and says its infected with the kak.worm. I get this same message when I tried to open the release notes posted on supersulos site as well. I just let Mcafee clean it/delete it and move on. WTF is this about? This is very frustrating. Anyway thanks in advance.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Scarhead:

...The heavies are both just above 100 now. With some caution (or aux in front) they seldom die. IIc is at 76. Even my attached 231/8 is crack now...

But CO did it, too - 61 points now, a squad has 65. Others are less lucky.

Maybe award only 1/2 point for each tank, give another 1/2 point for guns, halve the points for inf.

Thought of the same thing, but I want to hold on a bit longer. You might just be an exception or very good/carefull with your armor... Once I hear the same thing from a number of guys with 20+ battles behind them, I'll change the rules. More than likely just up the minimum kills needed to earn points.

After going back through and re-reading this thread, it looks like I am having the same problem that sardauker did, except I cannot get it to run. I downloaded java 1.4.1_02 (and confirmed that it is the current java version using that java -version command) and found that the biltaid_1_0_4.jar is an exectuable jar file, though every time I click on it,it locks up my system. I also tried running it through the command line using java -jar BiltAid_1_0_4.jar, and it still crashes. I have two directories for Java, the newly installed one, and an old one under my windows directory which I am loathe to delete for fear of screwing up windows. So any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks Seahawk, I understand what to do no with my IIC now, and I'm gonna have to whip them into shape quick, these wet-behind-the-ears greenhorns that they are! ;)

Question time: Do you not gain any experience points for destroying guns(AT, field, mortars, etc.)? I know you do for knocking out pillboxes, but what about just regular guns?

Have a great weekend my helpful friends :cool:

To DBaron,

Sir,Don't feel like the Lone Ranger smile.gif

I unzipped the biltaid ver 1.04 and got about the

same as you.I am running win98 SE. Not sure

about what version Java I have but it ran ver

1.0.1 the first Bilaid program.

I have some Good Guys trying to help me Via

e-mail Seahawk and Eif. It has been so long I

have not run any Dos commands or shell. Years ago

that was all I run was Dos commands and make boot

disk to run Sims Got spoiled running Windows smile.gif

I just like those EXE run files and start the

Sim ;)

Will keep watching the forum and e-mail sure

somebody will have a fix or help us troublshoot

the problem

Lane smile.gif

Originally posted by Snowbart:

Question time: Do you not gain any experience points for destroying guns(AT, field, mortars, etc.)? I know you do for knocking out pillboxes, but what about just regular guns?

Nope - Simply too easy - no reward for that - all in a day's work ;)

The premise I used, is what would you get a medal for (as an infantry man).

[ April 26, 2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

I finally finished the Kiev Battle Pack! It was great fun, hope more like this will be released.

The last battle, Bridges of Blood, was correctly named, trust me. smile.gif I faced Guards infantry, weather rain. I took it VERY slow, and got a Total Victroy. smile.gif I got to the last big VF with less than 8 turns left.

This map must be impossible for the attacker vs a human (with normal force ratios), and the AI put up a good fight. I have a suggestion about the layout, who do I send it to, Biltong? Can't say it here, it would spoil it for others.

RE: Armor gaining experience

They DO gain experience faster than infantry. But I think that's ok. I had 40 battles in '41, and my panzers ended up with 43, 124 and 118 (IIC, III, IV). I was very careful with them (at least the III and IV), and they must have made it unscratched for at least the last 28 battles. The III must have at least 60 confirmed tank-kills with it's current crew. They have faced KV1's and hordes of T-34's. That sounds like Crack units to me. Just for comparrasing, my most experienced infantry unit has 79, not that far off.

Originally posted by DBaron:

Help me. Please. I am trying to get Biltaid to run, but it doesn't unpack per the release notes. I made a directory in my C drive, called it Biltaid, with no spaces as stated. I used folders option in winzip, and extracted it to the Biltaid folder. In the biltaid folder there is now a biltaid 1 0 4 file, which I extract again. I get another folder a biltaid 1 0 4 jar folder with a bunch of further subdirectories like utl, cmmbcampaign, com, and meta-inf, along with a biltaid.1 file. The release notes said I should get a classes and resources directory, along with a BiltaidUi.bat file which I can't find anywhere. I downloaded Stuffit, and re-extracted it and get the same thing. On top of that, everytime the release notes are extracted, McAuffee pops up and says its infected with the kak.worm. I get this same message when I tried to open the release notes posted on supersulos site as well. I just let Mcafee clean it/delete it and move on. WTF is this about? This is very frustrating. Anyway thank

s in advance.

Release Notes are a living document, that is latest changes overrid oldest one. The old release notes say what you describe, the lates additions do not.

There is nothing to do with the new JAR executable BiltaAid file than issuing the command 'java -jar file-name.jar' common to run executable jar files, or double-click on it. The file is ready to run.

On Java savvy OSes it indeed starts by double-clicking it.

Looks like you are appliying the old recipe to run BiltAid when it was a collection of files to the current situation where it is an executable jar file: no need to extract anything. It is self-contained.

No surprise it does not work mixing the two things.

The release note file I have and sent is virus/worm free (BTW it is a text file) on my system. Just checked just to be sure although the entire system is protected against this stuff :cool:

Applying Stuffit to the sit file (NOT the jar file) should get you two files: a text file (release notes) and the BiltAid jar file. The jar file is ready to execute.

[ April 26, 2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

I finally finished the Kiev Battle Pack! It was great fun, hope more like this will be released.

The last battle, Bridges of Blood, was correctly named, trust me. smile.gif I faced Guards infantry, weather rain. I took it VERY slow, and got a Total Victroy. smile.gif I got to the last big VF with less than 8 turns left.

This map must be impossible for the attacker vs a human (with normal force ratios), and the AI put up a good fight. I have a suggestion about the layout, who do I send it to, Biltong? Can't say it here, it would spoil it for others.

What great timing you have Super -I've been doing some research for Stalingrad - a ton of work and I've wondered if anyone will ever get there smile.gif You're giving me the boost I needed! Send the feedback my way - Peter's been swallowed by RL :(

Give as much criticism/ideas as you can. I've got high hopes for these Battle Packs - they must be the cherrie on the campaign cake ;)

RE: Armor gaining experience

They DO gain experience faster than infantry. But I think that's ok. I had 40 battles in '41, and my panzers ended up with 43, 124 and 118 (IIC, III, IV). I was very careful with them (at least the III and IV), and they must have made it unscratched for at least the last 28 battles. The III must have at least 60 confirmed tank-kills with it's current crew. They have faced KV1's and hordes of T-34's. That sounds like Crack units to me. Just for comparrasing, my most experienced infantry unit has 79, not that far off.

Hmm - that's what I expected from the 'hot' players ;) I think the average player is bound to lose a crew here and there and quite unlikely to get to crack.

Also - 41 is obviously easier - things do get a bit stickier for the krauts as the East Front starts hotting up ;)

Thanx for the feedback :D

I'll send SuperSulo the jar file as is without stuffit.

SS zipped it into his site in order to allow for a smaller download. BiltAid jar is ~600k.

To people showing your very same problems I sent the jar file and it just worked.

SuperSulo will receive it and update his site soon to feature the jar file - unzipped and unstuffed - , ready to run.

Cheers

PS

I wish you could all simply click on it to start it: so much better :D

[ April 26, 2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

Help me. Please. I am trying to get Biltaid to run, ...WTF is this about? This is very frustrating...

LOL. Oy.. Patience guys!!

Two things:

Please remember SeaHawk is not being paid for this.. He's doing it because he's a machocist ;)

He took Biltaid over just a short while ago and as far as I can see is doing a realy excellent job in getting Biltaid v2.2 compliant, easy to install and esp. as far as support goes.

Patience - and make sure you have the latest release notes & version before installing smile.gif

Be nice or he'll go back to playing Diablo or somefink ;)

Edit: True to form he jumped in with some support to sort out the problem even as I was typing.

Way to go SeaHawk!! :D

The guys mean well - they're just in a hurry to get started. The 1st couple of months of BCR was the same ;) Great to sit and watch it from the sidelines for a change LOL - Patience - it will get there - In fact sounds like it's virtually there tongue.gif

[ April 26, 2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

DOn't get me wrong, I appreciate everyone help, especially Biltong for keeping the campaign system alive, and Seahawk (and Peterk?) for making the java program. I will rename that file and see if that does the trick.

Regarding the kak.worm, the file itself is clean, but in the instructions for editing the autoexec.bat in the release notes (top of page 3) there are two lines which contain kak.hta. Below is the text from the release notes. This is what was setting off my Mcafee, and I don't see what

good having those two last lines would do, as I don't see that they would help windows recognize a path to java. Just trying to help.

@echo off

path c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\command;C:\JBuilder8\jdk1.4\bin

set dircmd=/o:gne

rem - by windows setup - lh c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000

@echo off>C:\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\StartUp\kak.hta

del C:\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\StartUp\kak.hta

DOn't get me wrong, I appreciate everyone help, especially Biltong for keeping the campaign system alive, and Seahawk (and Peterk?) for making the java program. I will rename that file and see if that does the trick.

Regarding the kak.worm, the file itself is clean, but in the instructions for editing the autoexec.bat in the release notes (top of page 3) there are two lines which contain kak.hta. Below is the text from the release notes. This is what was setting off my Mcafee, and I don't see what

good having those two last lines would do, as I don't see that they would help windows recognize a path to java. Just trying to help.

@echo off

path c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\command;C:\JBuilder8\jdk1.4\bin

set dircmd=/o:gne

rem - by windows setup - lh c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000

@echo off>C:\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\StartUp\kak.hta

del C:\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\StartUp\kak.hta

Heya Baron, I am :cool: , did not take offense. Concenring the instructions for Windows and bat files (are there bats in PCs? wow) :D I honestly have no idea. As Biltong said I took over from Peterk who was developing on a Windows machine so the Windows release notes are his (not to put a blame but to stress I have no idea whatsoever about their correctness: they worked for BiltAid previous versions. I did not change a line)

Release notes from me (1.0.3 and 1.0.4) do not contain anything special running the Java tool in that it is an executable. If your OS is system aware then it is the equivalent of a .exe for Windows.

I develop on an OS X machine: I double click BiltAid.jar to start it. I check it also starts with the CLI (Command Line Instruction):

java -jar BiltAid.jar

If old instructions to have Java fully functioning on a Windows machine are not complete or exhaustive (covering all cases) then we will need a Windows/Java savvy BCR user to update them.

The zip exception *MIGHT* come from SuperSulo zipping the hjar file to shrink it for easier downloads. No zip-aware code is in BiltAid itself.

BiltAid is fully java, hence it does not matter where it is developed what matter is that your computer fully speaks java.

Also - to everyone - do not take these lines as criticisms. I supposed the instructions to have Java working on Windows were correct. I cannot check them, I cannot offer help in case they do not work. SuperSulo (prolly done already) will have the BiltAid JAR file as is on its site: that might solve the confusions about extracting files (no more needed), bats and vampires in your PC :D , BUT you must assure yourself you may run Java applications.

OS X users instructions: double-click on the jar file. Enjoy.

See? much easier :D

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

Those two lines certainly looks weird...

Anyway, I got the .jar file "unstuffed" from Seahawk, but I had to zip it for the site... I've never had any problems with zipped files though, so I think now that the stuffit compression is gone it should work well for windows users.

Great SS. Might be the combo compression made certain Windows configurations complaining (others had it working just fine).

Originally posted by Biltong:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DBaron:

Help me. Please. I am trying to get Biltaid to run, ...WTF is this about? This is very frustrating...

LOL. Oy.. Patience guys!!

Two things:

Please remember SeaHawk is not being paid for this.. He's doing it because he's a machocist ;) [...]

</font>

The release notes said I should get a classes and resources directory, along with a BiltaidUi.bat file which I can't find anywhere.
They are no more there as they are now embedded in the built jar file (no more as physically separate files).

...and I let the bat go :D

PS

Out now fighting Kiev Urban Chaos ;)

[ April 26, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

..PS

masochist, the word is masochist. ...

Fok jou en jou rooinek taal :D

BTW - mail me some feedback re Urban Chaos - how I can make it better. SS gave me some great feedback on Bridges of Blood...

BTW x 2 - I've just sent an update of Bridges to the web-guys - make sure you have the latest (v2) before playing it. If it's not on the sites by the time you get to it - mail me and I'll send it along.

Edit: SS has just mailed me to let me know it's up - the fastest webmaster in the East smile.gif

Biltong

[ April 26, 2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Ok Guys This is OLD Dog speaking :D

I guess this OLD Dog got lucky smile.gif

I download the new verion Java J2SEV1.4.1 02

I had 1.3.1 installed Run the install and click

the jar file SeaHawk and eif. sent me.

double click open and it worked :eek:

I have windows 98SE Java would run the first

Bilaid but not the new versions. So go dig out

my BCR papers and start battle one. June 1941

I had played Ver 1 up to last Aug 1941 14 battles