**MOD** Csaba

I have finally finished my Csaba mod, which is the one Hungarian vehicle from CMBB that I didn't do the original textures for.

There is a largish CMMOS version with camo and green schemes, late and early markings, and wheel and baggage options, in clean and muddy flavours.

Should be included on CMHQ some time soon... (?)

Mac/non CMMOS versions available now at cmmods.com; (each including clean & dirty versions) camo early, camo late, overall green.

MB,

If you see this may I ask how you get the base for your Mods? It seems to be some sort of 'Clumpy Grain' with a 'Clouds' or 'Sponge' Layer involved (these are Filters from Photoshop 5.5, which is what I use). Also wondering if you have any particular 'tricks' for dealing with the way the Game Engine cycles thru different hues at different levels of lightness/darkness?

There are about ten more things I'd like to ask, but this is what's making me crazy right now. I'm trying to get my stuff to 'play nice' with all the other Mods at different levels of downsampling, & yours do that really well.

Thanks

strt

I had spotted those Csabas at CMMOS a couple days ago and if you weren't going to post an announcement of their release I was going to! They are absolutely gorgeous, and a welcome mod for one of the few vehicles that still needed 'a bit of help'.

I noticed your early and late Csabas have the same number. So BFC didn't allot a separate late war number set for it like they did for the German vehicles?

I noticed your early and late Csabas have the same number. So BFC didn't allot a separate late war number set for it like they did for the German vehicles?
As far as I know, there's only the one set, Mike.

A quick test gives grey R35 in '41, yellow in '44, but the Csaba remains the same.

Mchlstrt, I'll email you. *Edit* OK, No I won't, your email address isn't on your profile. Please email me.

Anyway, Firstly, I don't draw in a program that uses layers... :eek: I use PSP4.12. ( I do also own PSP5 & 7, but hate them for DRAWING. I did use layers in PSP5 for the first time ever for the camo on this Csaba, and agree that it does save a lot of time for that subset of modding.)

Anyway, I had built some textured 512x512 base-colour squares, by chosing a likely base colour, overspraying, lightening, darkening, etc to get a grainy texture. (These were originally done for my CMBO mods.) Took a bit of trial and error, because green especially is very prone to breaking up into abrupt colour bands under CMBB (seemingly more so than CMBO actually.) Gordon tweaked a bunch of these squares during the beta to get the colours about right, and I clone these into the outlines of the texture, so that I start from an undetailed, textured, coloured area. (Having said that, nothing stops you using one of these squares as a layer, as Gordon does.)

Anyway, in practice if one particular shade variation looks sour, the only option is to either lighten or darken it by 1%, which usually cures the problem. Sometimes you have to adjust the level of the whole mod, to avoid a bad 'band' of shading percentage. ( That's why some of the Russian light tanks aren't quite the same colour.)

Sorry, but there's no easy answer.

Anyway, if you email me I'll send you the colour squares.

[ May 01, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Marco Bergman ]

"I don't draw in a program that uses layers...". :eek: is right! I would say that using Layers you would really tear it up, but it's the 'mechanicalness' that's inherent in this approach that I'm trying to get around now.

When I first wanted to get a textured Base (almost certainly after looking closely at one of your Shermans) I tried what you're describing & decided I must be wrong. I certainly couldn't pull it off. I would very much like to have your Files. I can't figure out how to get an e-mail in my profile so I'll send it to you. Thanks much.

I've found an approach that I like as far as 'camoflauging' the Banding goes. I 'Pixelate' a copy of the Base Color & put it over at 5%, then a copy thru 'Sponge' (makes globs of lighter & darker Color) @ 10%. By itself I'm reasonably happy, but when I put it in a crowd it stands out as just too, well 'mechanical'. I do use your Mods as a Benchmark because, at every level of Downsampling, they just have a nice 'naturalness' to them. Now I know why. Rom T-26S at COG's site if your interested in what the above looks like.

Thanks again. I'm e-mailing within minutes.

strt