The Panzer Count's Ostfront: A CMBB combat history of Graf Strachwitz

The Panzer Count's Ostfront

A Combat Mission Scenario Series

A CMBB combat history of the career of the legendary German tank commander Hyazinth Graf (Count) Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche und Camminetz from 1941 to 1945.

Researched and created for CMBB by Charlie Meconis and George McEwan.

Blowtorchscenarios.com proudly introduces our second CMBB series, “The Panzer Count's Ostfront,” following our series on Jochen Peiper's Kharkov 1942-43 campaign. As always our aim is to present interesting scenarios with as much historical accuracy as possible.

“The Panzer Count”, of course, is the legendary German tank commander Hyazinth Graf (Count) Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche und Camminetz, who survived the war as a Generalleutnant of the Reserve and holder of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds, Germany's highest award. We have chosen to focus on another German commander for the same reasons we focused on Peiper: the availability of information, not any political or national agenda. As with our Peiper series, we are devoting great effort to presenting the Soviet side with as much authenticity and detail as possible.

With the exception of a brief period with the Panzer Lehr Division after D-

Day, Graf Strachwitz spent the entire war from June 22, 1941 to the end on the Ostfront, from the outskirts of Rostov in the south in 1941 to the Narva front in Estonia in the north in 1944. Rising from a panzer battalion commander at the outset of Operation Barbarossa to the commander of a division-sized unit named after him in 1944, he played a cutting edge role in many of the most famous tank engagements of the war—Dubno, Kharkov (twice), Kalach, Stalingrad, Kursk and the desperate pocket battles of the last years of the war.

In this series we will try to present a cross-section of his Ostfront battles from 1941 to 1945. We have chosen those battles which, in our opinion, best characterize his military genius while offering interesting and reasonably balanced challenges.

Many thanks to all those involved in playtesting over at The Proving Grounds - Ken Federoff, Steve "Mad Russian" Overton, Rockinharry, Der Alte Fritz, JasonC, Sports Guy, Nick Legh, Rollin, Zmoney, Kingfish, BannonDC, Von Schwendemann, Fredrock1957, Joachim, jmjohnson36, toleran76 and Junk2Drive.

The first three scenarios have undergone playtesting and you can grab them HERE

Originally posted by George Mc:

[snips]

legendary German tank commander Hyazinth Graf Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche und Camminetz

What a shame ol' Hyazinth never served in the Western Desert or Italy, where he might have met the Bays. What a great name for a scenario --

"Hyazinth Graf Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche und Camminetz v. Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes (Bart.)"

Still, AIUI the Baronet was killed at Cassino -- I don't know which battle, but it might be possible to have

"Frido von Senger und Etterlin v. Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes (Bart.)"

All the best,

John.

John D Salt,

Only slightly more twisted than your humor is the strange Russian practice of naming Cold War and later SP artillery pieces for flowers. As it happens, the huge, very long-barreled 152mm 2S5

found in Army and Front level artillery brigades is called a Giatsint (Hyacinth), thus bringing us full circle.

Regards,

John Kettler

These mammoth scenarios are a remarkable achievement...I know how long it takes to research and build a decent historical scenario 1/4 as large. But I am most impressed by the additional material and depth of historical research. It's easy to become attached to these units and individuals isn't it? Especially when you spend 200 hours researching every iota of information you can lay your hands on.

Now if I can just find the time to play one of these all the way through!

Originally posted by Renaud:

These mammoth scenarios are a remarkable achievement...I know how long it takes to research and build a decent historical scenario 1/4 as large. But I am most impressed by the additional material and depth of historical research. It's easy to become attached to these units and individuals isn't it? Especially when you spend 200 hours researching every iota of information you can lay your hands on.

Now if I can just find the time to play one of these all the way through!

Hi Renaud

Thanks for that - most kind. That is the advantage of having two of you working as a team. Charlie does the bulk of the research whilst I do the CMBB bit, and often we swap jobs or mix and match! Either way it is a team effort. It kaes anything from a couple of months to six months to pull together all the bits including playtesting.

As we said the bio piece on Strachwitz and the other info we have is the most complete accuarte account of his combat activites to date.

Hope you find the time cos they are not all that large - Kalach you can play through in an evening :D

Cheers fur noo

George

Very impressive work !

I've downloaded the first three Panzergraf scenarios, playing the Dubno-Operation right now...

Great historical information, excellent briefing and a breathtaking map - just brilliant!

EDIT: SPOILER ALERT!

(Sorry, I didn't think about it !)

It's a blast to play, I'm on turn 6, my Panzers slug it out with soviet BT-7s and T-34s on both flanks, so far the Commissar lost 11 BT7s and a T-34...I lost zero tanks until now :) - but haven't met any "colossal" Russian tanks yet - the KVs must be out there, somewhere...

...maybe they're in that giant field on the far left, where the Luftwaffe keeps on throwing "eggs"... ?

Really, this scenario kicks ass!

I worked ten hours night-shift this night, and should be asleep right now, but - you know - there's a battle going on!

Thank you very much for this masterpiece !

Greetings, Hetzer38.

[ January 17, 2007, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Hetzer38 ]

I modified three of MikeyD's superb Mods for the Dubno-operation,

the Pz IIIG, Pz IIIH and Pz IVE.

I replaced Mikey's unit emblems with a crossed yellow Y, the insignia of the 16th Panzerdivision.

pziiigve8.th.jpg

pzivewb8.th.jpg

pziiihze3.th.jpg

And here's the question: is this correct ?

Or was there another marking on the Panzers of the 16th Panzerdivision (Panzer-Regiment 2) during this operation ?

Maybe the crossed Y wasn't yellow ?

Or it was replaced by another symbol to confuse the enemy...?

Did the individual tank companies of Panzer-Regiment 2 have individual unit markings ?

(like: heavy company has a Lion, light tank company has a hedgehog, or whatever...?)

(BTW, check WIIDayByDay for many unit emblems / tactical markings, photos...)

And finally - I added a rectangle with the letters St on the back of the Pz IIIH (last screenie), meaning these are tanks of the Stabs-Kompanie (staff-company)...

...where there any such markings on these tanks ?

I'm thinking about adding markings on the Pz IVE and PzIIIG for medium and heavy company... ?

Best regards, Hetzer38.

[ January 19, 2007, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Hetzer38 ]

Oh yea, and the Dubno-operation is still going strong!

Spoiler Alert!!!

It's round 15, and half of the map is burning... smile.gif

I lost two Psw 222 to a I-153, and lots of Panzers to the Comissar's tank hordes...

7x PzIIIGs, 3x Pz IVEs and 1xPzIICs are knocked out.

Another PzIIC is immobilized and another one had it's gun trashed.

There are 18x BT7s and 15x T34s lying wrecked in the fields... :eek:

The lead element of the Russians includes two KV-I and one KV-II...to attack them from three sides has failed...my remaining Panzers are regrouping, there's no use in trying to press on the attack on the KVs right now, let's first trash everything else. ;)

Maybe Leutnant Zimmermann's recon-squad manages to immobilize one of the Behemoths with a geballte Ladung, Obergefreiter Doss is 43m away from one of the beasts...

kviivr8.th.jpg

Greetings, Hetzer38.

[ January 21, 2007, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: Hetzer38 ]

Hi Hetzer38

Many thanks for your comments about Dubno. I've not long finished playing it in two PBEMs and it is very full on. Glad to hear it is the same for yourself!

Re your questions about the 16th panzer Division markings. I'm afraid I don't know anymore about the markings than what you have found. I also added my own 16th Pz div insignia to MikeyD's mods just as you have done. 'Fraid I don't know if any of the units used other emblems - maybe someone on the forum here will be able to add more. Be keen to hear how things progree for you. The KVs are a real thorn in the German players side - just as they were in reality but there are several ways to take em down ;)

Best of luck!

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

Jawoll !

My brave recon-men have succeeded in knocking out two Klim Voroshilovs in round 23 !!!

Unteroffizier Wittman's squad blew a KV-I with a grenade-bundle, and Obergefreiter Doss managed to immobilize the lone KV-II with another geballte Ladung, moments later the crew bailed, ran for it and died.

It had been raining AP rounds on the KV-II from up to 6 Panzers from different angles for some minutes, so I guess the green crew didn't hear/see it coming.

kvii6pe.th.jpg

...now there's only one KV-I left to worry about.... :)

20x T-34 and 24x BT-7 are knocked out, many soviet infantry squads have been eliminated on the right flank.

I lost 2x VW Kübel, 1x SPW 251/1, 3x PSW-222s, 3x PzIIC, 8x PzIIIGs and 5x PzIVE...

I'll try to write a good AAR later, this may take a while though.

(...cause I need ages to write in english...)

Greetings, Hetzer38.

Edit

BTW, what happens to immobilized tanks / tanks with gun damage in the next battle of the operation ?

[ January 21, 2007, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Hetzer38 ]

Hi Hetzer38

Sounds like you are holding your own against the Soviet attacks. Nice one! The KVs can be taken out of action using hail fire against them - this causes the crew to panic and bail out, even better are close assaults from infantry teams as you have used.

Re damaged tanks - I'm not very sure - I think it depends on what the operation repair parameters were set (I can't mind exactly, but given the historical situation where the Germans were cut off from supply etc they will not be all that great I'd suspect - the briefing might have more info. I've had some gun damaged tanks repaired for the next battle in this, and others (immobilsed tanks)abandoned. I guess you can't rely on stuff that is damaged or immobilised being OK for the next battle.

Looking forward to the AAR - sound slike some fight you are in smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

It'll take some more time until I can write the AAR...I don't have much free time these days.

But I use the little time I have to wage war! ,-)

(Every turn takes quite long 'cause I watch the replay over and over again from different perspectives...map is quite big, you know...)

I'm through with the second battle, the Russkies lost more than 100 tanks until now!

German morale is high, ammo is low - and night has fallen...let's see if we can take the last four remaining flags while the moon's shining.

(I don't think so!)

@ all other CMBB-friends:

Give this scenario a try, it's just great!

Greetings, Hetzer 38.

• 2 weeks later...

"God damn it! We need some ammo!"

(...three HE grenades left...)

heuerlu3.th.jpg

[Battle 4/5; Round 20/25+]

Yup, that's 25 tank-kills (plus 17 infantry casualities) caused by Uffz Heuer's Pz IIIG.

(6xBT-5s; 2xBT-7s; 6xT-26S; 2xT-26S M37; 2x OT-134 "Flamm"; 7xUnidentified Enemy Tank)

That's 1/6 of the russian's tank losses in this operation! :cool:

The russians must have lost 150+ tanks so far, and the few they have left are lurking around in the "forest of fire" (top right corner of the screenshot, east of point 311.5)...

Hope I can present an AAR soon!

BTW, a human russian player would have butchered me, there's no doubt about it! The russians have so much (some of it excellent, T-34s, KV-Is...) equipment, when put to good use the germans don't stand a chance.

IMO, playing the AI (even with +2 Exp) is very likely to result in a german victory (like in reality), so let's just pretend the poor russian (AI) performance is due to poor leadership, bad communication and mechanical failures.

Besides, that way I'm able to win despite my poor tactical decisions! ;)

Cheers, Hetzer38.

[ February 11, 2007, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Hetzer38 ]