Set Up Confusion

I want to set up my own battles, but it seems an unreasonably tedious task finding and setting up my units prior to combat.

It appears that units larger than a platoon are distributed along the board edge without any real rhyme or reason. Therefore, I have to 'hunt down' all my units from along the map edge and organize them into company sized elements. and then place them where I need them.

Although it is not the end of the world, it seems that an easier way to see your units using a TO&E/unit heirachy surely should exist.

Would a setup screen where the scenario designer could click on a given unit or HQ's and have ALL it's subordinate units highlighted for easy placement. That way, for example, all of 'A' Companys units (including weapons platoon)are available at a glance, easy to find and easy to set up.

Large battles are partuclarly tedious becuase of having to scroll the sheer number of units to find something.

This would also have a second benefit. It would allow me to see at a glance the units at my disposal. I HATE missing that 120mm Spotter in the trees and not realizing I had it until the game began.

Some have criticsed this as 'gamey', but I say it is a tool for scenario designers. Not a gamey feature. Actually, in real life, commanders generally know what units they have under their command. Especially if it is an attached or OPCONed unit with unique capability... like an arty spotter.

So... has there been any consideration or real discussion to a set up screen to assist in keeping units along TO&E lines during set up as opposed to the seeming random way units are distributed along the board edge??

Thanks.

Originally posted by Gun Dog:

I HATE missing that 120mm Spotter in the trees and not realizing I had it until the game began.

For setup, zoom 'em up to +4, turn bases on, turn trees off, and you won't miss a one.

Then reset what you want for the actual play.

Works for me..

Not completely true. Depending, (I believe), on the video card, units in building debris can be hard to find.

I also recommend you do a shift-v to turn off vehicles. Nothing more annoying than missing the fact than a 155 mm arty spotter is taking a siesta on the back of a vehicle for the game. (I am color blind which doesn't help).

As for the theory of setup, to me that is really 1/3 the battle. My skills improve and my game outcomes improve more via the time I spend on setup, especially getting my eye down on the terrain.

SgtAbell

Theres no way I want the AI setting my troops up.

You only have to look at the mess it makes with its own purchases and positions to see you really dont want to let it anywhere near your guys.

Unless your really trying to hamstring yourself down to its level.

I wouldn't want the AI to setup my units either, but it would be really nice if it would put units from the same platoon and company close to each other on the map edge when setup starts so you can find them easier. Right now you have to spend a lot of time hunting for all the units that belong together.

+ and - keys folks.

Organisations are set up in a line, from left to right (as your side looks at it) in the order given in the TO&E on the purchase page. Independent teams are grouped by type first, then independent vehicles, then formations in the order purchased.

Plus there is a standard spacing, which means you can often se where the unit should be, evan if you cannot actually see it.

Without rhyme or reason is a bit harsh.

None the less, I'd like to see the units deployed in blocks by company/battalion rather than lines.

They are actually set up quite nicely I think. Support weapons first, then armor and vehicles, then battalions then companies, then individual platoons {as far as I can tell atleast}. Go grab a platoon and set them up. Or move an entire company to a general area and then set them up.

When you are done, drag your curosr over the entire setup area. Any units left get the little box around them and you can make sure you get them setup.

Chad

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by flamingknives:

+ and - keys folks.

Organisations are set up in a line, from left to right (as your side looks at it) in the order given in the TO&E on the purchase page. Independent teams are grouped by type first, then independent vehicles, then formations in the order purchased.

Plus there is a standard spacing, which means you can often se where the unit should be, evan if you cannot actually see it.

Without rhyme or reason is a bit harsh.

None the less, I'd like to see the units deployed in blocks by company/battalion rather than lines.

Originally posted by StellarRat:

...it would be really nice if it would put units from the same platoon and company close to each other on the map edge when setup starts so you can find them easier. Right now you have to spend a lot of time hunting for all the units that belong together.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

... None the less, I'd like to see the units deployed in blocks by company/battalion rather than lines.

Oops.. My fault on the previous post.

I have summarized two members responses because I think they make my point better than I had on my original.

I hope Battlefront takes these valid opinions into consideration when designing future games.

Thanks.

Gun Dog

+ and - keys folks.
Better yet, program your mouse's scroll wheel to do + & -. My setup time dropped by about half when I figured THAT out. Helps a lot during play, too. If I know I'm not interested in a certain formation right now, I can "scroll" quickly through it.