Soon to be released from B&T: HITLER'S SON

I have a new scenario (tremendously fun to design) submitted to B&T, which should be up on the website real soon: Here is the general briefing. If any of you want it before hand, you can post here.

HITLER'S SON

The Battle of Novo Buda

February 13, 1944, 7:00 a.m.

Turns: 30+

Best Played as: Single Player vs. Soviet or Two-Player

Author: Frank "Franko" Radoslovich for Boots and Tracks

Frankrad@pacbell.net

Playtesters: Boots & Tracks

With the benefit of hindsight, it is easy to understand that by January, 1944, the war on the Eastern Front was a foregone conclusion: immersed in a vast sea of territory and overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of an increasingly skilled adversary, the German army was on its last legs. However, on both sides there would be valiant and terrible struggles until the bitter end. One of these occurred at an obscure collection of "isbas" called Novo Buda.

The Battle of the Korson Pocket (more accurately known as the Cherkassy battles) is often forgotten among the more epic struggles of the Russo-German war, such as Stalingrad, Kursk, and others. In a skillfully executed attack, the Soviet army manage to surround a sizeable portion of Army Group South. What follows is one of the most intriguing sagas of the war: the Germans, outnumbered, surrounded, and perhaps outfought, nevertheless managed to hang on and fight themselves out of the encirclement. Again, as in Stalingrad, there were airlifts to resupply, desparate breakout attempts, and appalling weather. All around the Cauldron, the German forces held against repeated Soviet attacks, while Von Manstein rushed to relieve them.

In the middle of this maelstrom, far from home, were two thousand Walloons, who believed that fighting for the Germans may one day lead to their own homeland in Burgundy. Commanded by the competent Lucien Lippert, a former Belgian army staff officer, and Leon Degrelle, a handsome, opportunistic political climber, the Walloons were charged with holding the line at Novo Buda, a key village which formed a portion of the perimeter defense on the southern side of the pocket. If the town fell, the Soviets would be able to massacre the thousands of German troops in their assembly areas in and around Shanderovka, a mere two kilometers away. On February 13, 1944, the Walloons would be subject to a vicious assault from Guards Cossacks Cavalry, and their very existence would become problematic.

Design Notes:

1. Weather -- The Cherkassy campaign was typified by its snowy and muddy weather. The first phase of the campaign (the breakthrough and encirclement) was typified by snow. The second phase (reducing the pocket and relief attempts) was generally muddy due to an early thaw, with heavy rains. The third phase (the escape) was snowy again. This battle takes place during the "second" phase. The evidence strongly suggests that this battle was fought in mud and in rain.

2. Why "Hitler's Son"? Hitler reportedly admired the young facist, Leon Degrelle, so much that he reportedly remarked that if he ever had a son, he would want him to be like Leon Degrelle (!). Of course, it is open to speculation as to precisely why he admired the young man so much. Degrelle stated that he would never want to meet Hitler, until he earned his Knights Cross. He earned his medal, but further developments in the Degrelle-Hitler relationship are unknown (at least to me).

3. Map -- Novo Buda had narrow streets and most of the structures were destroyed. Thus, there are few "roads" in the center of town.

4. Fog -- Novo Buda was located on the top of a minor plateau. Historical accounts show that the Soviets managed to roll right onto the Walloon positions, almost as if the Walloons had not seen them coming. Since the maps indicate a clear view to the Soviet line of departure, how could this happen? Well, the only explanation is that since the Soviets opened with one of their terrible artillery bombardments, I can only surmise that the dust and dirt kicked up by that bombardment obscured their advance. Thus, the "fog" in the game represents such.

5. More specific notes contained in each side's briefing.

ENJOY YOU CRAZY BASTARDS!

Frank

Sounds exciting. Does it have any Eisbohrungsfischentruppen? My grandfather was an Eisbohrungsfischentruppen and I want to replay some of his battles. I never learned about the Eisbohrungsfischentruppen in school.

Please send it to me so I can tell if my grandfather fought there. If he didn't, I will be pissed off, and forced to growl and show my teeth.

Steve

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Sounds exciting. Does it have any Eisbohrungsfischentruppen? My grandfather was an Eisbohrungsfischentruppen and I want to replay some of his battles. I never learned about the Eisbohrungsfischentruppen in school.

Please send it to me so I can tell if my grandfather fought there. If he didn't, I will be pissed off, and forced to growl and show my teeth.

Steve

Mr. Spkr, beautiful use of recent controversial topic reference and very skillful use of controversial/well loved topic blending, your dedication to your craft shows. Continue with this high level of performance and you'll make the State finals!

I give you a 9.1

Gyrene

Originally posted by Gyrene:

Mr. Spkr, beautiful use of recent controversial topic reference and very skillful use of controversial/well loved topic blending, your dedication to your craft shows. Continue with this high level of performance and you'll make the State finals!

I give you a 9.1

Gyrene

Thank you. Your patronage is noted.

Now, it's been a month -- send me my turn, or I will release my Ninjas on you!

Steve