TCP/IP rules!

Just completed my first TCP game in CMBB...awesome! Thanks to Z1812 for a great game, even though you kicked my butt. PBEM will never be the same...and vs AI is right out. A couple of questions for you all, though:

I played a 600 pt game, I had a company of Soviet inf plus a platoon of BT7s, and a couple of support weapons. Time limit was 3 minutes/turn, and I ran out of time on several turns. Is that about right, do I just need to be quicker? What are typical time limits for various sized games?

Also, I am a bit paranoid about posting my IP as host...is it "safe" to post in the CMHQ chatroom, or on the Opponent Finder BBS, or better done via email?

Any other comments or hints for a newbie TCPer?

- Matt

I almost never play with time limits and it is usually not a problem with my opponents. As far as giving out your IP address, should be no problem as any one can usually get it anyways when you are hooked up to the internet, just dont be careless with it. Never did play PBEM way back when that was the only thing and it sure makes the AI look like gumby!

Originally posted by SFJaykey:

Just completed my first TCP game in CMBB...awesome! Thanks to Z1812 for a great game, even though you kicked my butt. PBEM will never be the same...and vs AI is right out. A couple of questions for you all, though:

I played a 600 pt game, I had a company of Soviet inf plus a platoon of BT7s, and a couple of support weapons. Time limit was 3 minutes/turn, and I ran out of time on several turns. Is that about right, do I just need to be quicker? What are typical time limits for various sized games?

Also, I am a bit paranoid about posting my IP as host...is it "safe" to post in the CMHQ chatroom, or on the Opponent Finder BBS, or better done via email?

Any other comments or hints for a newbie TCPer?

- Matt

there was a theory once

I forget how it went

but it was based on minutes per points

like 1 minute for every 500 pts of troops?

or was it 5 minutes for every 1000 points?

who else here can remember

it was ONLY a suggestion but what ever it was (the suggestion) it seemed about right to me at the time?

:confused:

But I can't remember what the suggested guideline was.

-tom w

Hi Matt!

Too bad I didnt catch you on the chat.

When it comes to times, I usually play with 5 min timer for 1500 pts games, and 3 min for anything less and seems very few have a problem with that. Ofcos, in the beginning it could be nice to have some more time, before u get used to it.

But I always want to play with timer, else I can play PBEMs smile.gif

The whole timing thing really bugs me. I don't like not getting up, stretching my legs and getting a beverage. Five minutes per turn?!?!? PAH!!!

Maybe with a playback feature. Sometimes you need to stop, drop the camera angle and replay that marvelous shot a coupla times. And it is considered to be in poor-taste to send "DUDE!! I just F*&^ed you up!!! Whooo-hoooo u suk." Thats why I only PBEM with good friends or people I despise. :D

Originally posted by SFJaykey:

Matt, glad you had a good time. As for your question, while you are in the chatroom you can give your ip to your opponent by doing the following:

/msg whoever 168.168.168.0

whoever = your opponent, but use your real IP.

Or you can double click on your opponent's name, which will open up a dialogue box.

If anyone is curious to find out their IP, go to this site: What Is My Ip?

Enjoy smile.gif

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

The whole timing thing really bugs me. I don't like not getting up, stretching my legs and getting a beverage. Five minutes per turn?!?!? PAH!!!

Maybe with a playback feature. Sometimes you need to stop, drop the camera angle and replay that marvelous shot a coupla times. And it is considered to be in poor-taste to send "DUDE!! I just F*&^ed you up!!! Whooo-hoooo u suk." Thats why I only PBEM with good friends or people I despise. :D

Although it makes me feel dirty, I have to agree with mike_the_whatever about this one.

Timers? Bah . . . timers are for monkeys and other intermediate players.

Watch the video over and over, and see how each mortar fell, how the sound contacts react to random suppressing fire. Listing for the Buzz of the Maxims. Listening to the color of that AT gun sound that just opened up on your armor the last few seconds of the turn to ID via the sound. ETC.! This is takes time.

I've found the best players take their time . . .studying terrain and movement each turn. balancing options. etc.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the input....I expected differing opinions on this! :)

In PBEM I take my time with turns, viewing several replays from different angles, both to extract as much data as possible to plot my next moves and for the sheer enjoyment of watching the simulation. I would agree that the most _effective_ players probably do the same, though I'd stop before calling them the "best." I think the ability to absorb and analyze the action and plot your moves _quickly_, as close to real time as possible, is a mark of the top players.

I enjoyed the challenge of the 3-minute limit in my first TCP, even though I ran out of time a few times. I can see playing future games both with and without time limits...the experience will be different but both enjoyable. And I'll always grant a "pause" if an opponent wants to replay an especially juicy action segment from several angles, and hope for the same courtesy...

Another thing I'd like to try sometime is playing with 1-minute limits, to correspond with the 1-minute action segments and simulate "real time" as closely as possible within the CM engine. I'm wondering if anyone else does this regularly and the size of the forces you've attempted it with. I can foresee it being quite a challenge with anything more than a platoon of infantry plus a tank or 2...

- Matt

No matter how "fast" you think, you cannot speed up the video replay. If you are targetting an enemy AT gun with mortars, and it is "hidden", so you only see the star, you have to watch every mortar fall to see if you get a few good hits to know if it is dead. This is only example of many in this game where the patient, methodical player has the advantage.

If my units were smart enough so I could say "go there, but if something starts firing at you adjust your approach path to avoid the fire", as common sense would dictate to your platoon HQs in reality, then fine, faster would be more more the test of skill. CMBB obviously does not do this, so you have to get down and really consider each unit, every turn.

[ May 01, 2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Walpurgis Night ]

Hi,

Yup, I agree that live TCP play is “the” way to play the CMBB. It is hugely good fun even on a normal 56k dial up connection, which is all I have.

I do not use any time limits, but I find all my opponents know to try and push things along. However, now and then, there is a need for quite long periods of reorganisation; hence I do not like time limits.

Happily for me I am scheduled to move over to ADSL tomorrow, if all goes well. Hence I look forward to slightly larger games, with data transfer a lot quicker than currently.

My experience is that a total of 2,500 points, both sides added together, on a 2km by 2km map, works fine even with 56k dial up. With broadband I am hoping a total of 3,500 points will still result in a faster flowing game than currently with 2,500 on a 56k connection. For live games, regardless of connection speed, I think 2,500-3,500 points, both sides added together, is big enough. But, of course, we will all differ on these matters.

All the best,

Kip.