Red Army Order of Battle - Research

Ok, let's talk Red Army Order of Battle. Big subject, right?

Any recommendations out there on what's the definitive resource on Red Army order of battle? I am doing some work on the 1944 period, but my library really needs the whole list.

I understand the root document is the Russian-language "Boevoi sostav raboche-khristianskoi armii vo vremya velikoi otechesvennoi voiny" (Order of battle of the worker-peasant army during the time of the great patriotic war).

That could be somewhat off, the precise wording may be a bit different due to transliteration etc.

Ideally, I would like to put my hands on this as I read Russian, but I don't know what the resource is properly called, nor do I know where I could get it. Suggestions?

Failing the original source, after some googling about I understand there are more than a few English-language Red Army OBs out there. I have no idea of their quality and usefulness, but I figure some one reading this might.

Two of the most likely prospects appear to be:

Soviet Army Order of Battle 1941-1945 (Paperback)

Publisher: Game Book Marketing Co (February 1, 1993)

ISBN: 0941052664

Red Army : Order of Battle in the Great Patriotic War (Hardcover)

by ROBERT POIRIER

Hardcover

Publisher: Random House Value Publishing (July 13, 1991)

ISBN: 0517071983

Any one out there ever seen these? Maybe some recommendations of other books on the subject. I want as detailed as possible. Down to battalion level. Down to Corps/Brigade level is useless to me.

I also read German so maybe there is something in that language.

If you have something and want to sell, let's talk.

Final not, thanks but don't recommend Glantz, I already have done more than my bit towards that gentleman's retirement fund. The Glantz books on the periods I am interested in, I already have.

[ April 14, 2005, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Bigduke6 ]

There are a few routes I can suggest. All involve contacting someone directly and asking them for sources and/or advice.

1. Take a look at the website belonging to George Nafziger (The Nafziger Collection). He offers to collections by Charles Sharpe and Craig Crofoot. Look for both under "books" and "WWII Organizational Studies". Contact Mr. Nafziger by phone or by email and ask him what he has. Be ready for a long chat if you call. This man can talk for hours.

2. Check the Stone & Stone website here . Specifically, do a search for the name David Glantz. The site should give you a link to contact Col. Glantz by email. Contact him.

3. Check with the Aberdeen Bookstore and contact Tom Petteys directly. He is a good guy. His email address is on the home page.

4. Check at www.orbat.com for material. They have a section or two dedicated to Russian OoBs. Contact them and see what they say.

I am working on a Russian OoB for the Western Front in 1941 (July 6-September 10) and it is a big job. My suggestion is that you spend a bit of time reading a few things to get some insight into the reality of the RKKA. David Glantz and Stephen Zaloga offer the most accessible material. "Colossus Reborn" and "Stumbling Colossus" are both incredible.

It will be very difficult to nail down the location of individual battalions unless you can get access to Soviet archival material.

Good Luck

Paul

Originally posted by Bigduke6:

Two of the most likely prospects appear to be:

Red Army : Order of Battle in the Great Patriotic War (Hardcover)

by ROBERT POIRIER

Hardcover

Publisher: Random House Value Publishing (July 13, 1991)

ISBN: 0517071983

Any one out there ever seen these? Maybe some recommendations of other books on the subject. I want as detailed as possible. Down to battalion level. Down to Corps/Brigade level is useless to me.

I have the Poirier and Conner book. It's not as useful at the scale you're looking at, but it can be handy, especially combined with the Charles Sharp books you can get from Nafziger. I use Poirier and Conner mainly to double check Sharp when I can, and to place divisions within appropriate larger formations (armies, and more rarely, corps); I understand this book is based off German records, so probably not ideal for a primary source.

The Sharp books are probably what you want. Not perfectly detailed, but you do get a few good glimpses at tactical level organizations, and you get regiments and sometimes battalions within divisions, which is handy. And it's actually based on Soviet documents, so I consider it a more reliable source. I have all the Sharp books - some are more relevant than others - so if it comes to it and you want one little thing, send me an e-mail.

Not sure what that other book you're referring to is.

Scott

I recently received "Slaughterhouse - the Handbook of the Eastern Front." Nice title.

OOBs, biographies, chronologies, weapon stats, etc. Lists Fronts, Armies, Corps and Divisions with a very brief run down on when formed and general locations of where they operated.

It is convenient to have in one place, but more detailed info can be found elsewhere.

Keith Bonn, editor

Aberjona Press/Aegis

Contributors: Glantz, Nafziger, Harmeinen, Hugh Foster, Myers, others

is based on German intelligence during the war. While that was pretty intensive the Soviet based material would be better. I have a copy of this work. If you need anything out of it send me an email and I'll see what I can do for you.

Also, I have a pretty extensive listing of research that I have done on Soviet armored units down to the brigade and regimental level. There are some battalions listed. I have the source references for all of my research as well.

If that interests you at all let me know.

• 2 years later...
Originally posted by Panther Commander:

is based on German intelligence during the war. While that was pretty intensive the Soviet based material would be better. I have a copy of this work. If you need anything out of it send me an email and I'll see what I can do for you.

Also, I have a pretty extensive listing of research that I have done on Soviet armored units down to the brigade and regimental level. There are some battalions listed. I have the source references for all of my research as well.

If that interests you at all let me know.

From now on my evening prayer includes that you will create an webbsite! tongue.gif

If you've got a spare US$240 Charles Sharp's OOB's from Nafziger is probably the definitive English Language source at the moment.

Each volume includes some details of hte employment and sometiems strengths of every unit of thet type and size mentioned...including seperate entries where 3 or even 4 different units carried the same designation at various times (eg a rifle division might have been redisgnated Guards, then another one raised with the same number...it too might have been promoted and a third one raised...)

Enough detail is included, for example, about Rifle Divisions raised before Barbarossa so that you can track every one of the "Siberian" divisions that supposedly spearheaded teh counter attack at Moscow in December 1941 and disprove that myth fairly easily.

I've got about half of them & would get all the others in an eyeblink if I had the funds!!

In addition there is a CD of the daily returns of strengths that Soviet formations put into STAVKA - IIRC it's about US$250 too, but it's in Russian here

Also if you read Russian this site has lists of monthly returns (look for het PDF's towards the bottom of the list for each year).....but I have no idea where they come from or what's actually in them 'cos I dont' read it :(

[ October 28, 2007, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Stalin's Organist ]

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

In addition there is a CD of the daily returns of strengths that Soviet formations put into STAVKA - IIRC it's about US$250 too, but it's in Russian here

Well, I'd say it's the same sort of docs, which you can find online on the link at the bottom of your post...

Also if you read Russian this site has lists of monthly returns (look for het PDF's towards the bottom of the list for each year).....but I have no idea where they come from or what's actually in them 'cos I dont' read it :(

Just the link I mentined.

"BSSA" is one of the main books for the Soviet OOBs. I gave it to Vasiliy (the author of that site)

typical abbreviations for them translated into english I gathered in the next file:

http://www.rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/abbreviations/OOB_abbr.doc

Also draw attention to another set of books - so called "Perechen'" listings - a 36 volume set, containing VERY large amount of info.

try this thread for downloading them (if the links are workable...)

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54156

Regards ;)

Alex

Wow, a 2-year-old thread arisen from the dead, and the answer when it arrives is incredible. You guys just saved me $240.

For SO, the monthly returns in PDF are by-Front listings of armies, corps, divisions, brigades, and in some cases regiments under the Front's command, it looks like 1941-45 inclusive. If you have a question that data base can answer I owe you a favor.

The "perechen" listings look even "meatier," but I can't open them because they're in some scan format my computer doesn't recognize. I'll fix that software issue pretty quick, I think.

.djvu mean anything to any one out there?

For the record here is the URL for the "perechen" listings:

Massive Red Army OB source, in Russian

From what I gather from the titles, the "perechen" files (it means "list" in Russian, roughly) gives data on every single regiment, and every organization higher than regiment up through front, ever fielded by the Red Army. Don't know yet what kind of data, past for sure it includes parent formations. Once I figure out .dvsp files I'll post here.

Wow, a 2-year-old thread arisen from the dead, and the answer when it arrives is incredible. You guys just saved me $240.

Welcome... ;) Now you can spend them for something else... :D

For SO, the monthly returns in PDF are by-Front listings of armies, corps, divisions, brigades, and in some cases regiments under the Front's command, it looks like 1941-45 inclusive. If you have a question that data base can answer I owe you a favor.

Yes, the "BSSA" book is very interesting source.

However it contains some typos, especially in the last volume.

The "perechen" listings look even "meatier," but I can't open them because they're in some scan format my computer doesn't recognize. I'll fix that software issue pretty quick, I think.

.djvu mean anything to any one out there?

Install freeware DjVu plugin from www.lizardtech.com

For the record here is the URL for the "perechen" listings:

Massive Red Army OB source, in Russian

Links I gave above are better than from Soldat.ru

Multi-volume RAR files from Soldat.ru can need some tricks (i.e. renaming) to be opened.

From what I gather from the titles, the "perechen" files (it means "list" in Russian, roughly) gives data on every single regiment, and every organization higher than regiment up through front, ever fielded by the Red Army. Don't know yet what kind of data, past for sure it includes parent formations. Once I figure out .dvsp files I'll post here.

Yes, you are right..

One specification though. Besides "Perechen" lists exists some additions (see www.Soldat.ru site), which introduces some additions/corrections to that volumes

Regards

Alex

Alex, my sincere thanks. If you are ever in Kiev I owe you a beer.

Ok guys, what the "perechen" listings seem to be is a by unit list of everything at least down to regiment, and apparently in some cases down to battalion. It's scans of official Red Army lists of units formed and fielded for the war, the lists being secret until the mid-1980s. They appear to have been uploaded on line in only the last 2 years or so, although I am aware pieces of the information have been available elsewhere on the web (The Russia Ministry of Defence site for instance) for some time previous to that. But this is the the official list, apparently compiled right after the war.

I've only looked at one file so far, listing independent armor and mechanized regiments. For each one it gives date formed, when the regiment was assigned to a parent formation (usually an army), and when it was taken out of the line.

I zeroed in on 57th Guards Independent Heavy Tank (the Stalin unit of Sandomirz fame) and it appeared to tally exactly; you can see what unit the regiment was formed from, and when it went into and out of the line.

There is no strength information, at least in the file I looked at.

As Alex points out, the lists themselves (there must be hundreds of Megs of info) are huge but not exhaustive; I can see how independent companies and so on never got listed. But by that same token it is a giant mass of information. It lists not just ground but air and sea formations, right down to every major ship, apparently.

I won't do translations, but if any of you CM guys need me to do a bit of digging on a particular unit or parent formation, shoot me an e-mail. The information is laid out fairly logically, from what I can tell, although I've only scratched the surface.

But that said, the listings Kingfish pointed out appear to offer much of the same information where ground and air forces are concerned, in a more compact format.

Well I will put in a request :)

I am working on a Kiev scenario pack, focused on Vatutin's front in November 1943. The major units I'd like breakdowns on are -

3rd Tank Army

1st Guards Cavalry Corps

13th Army

38th Army

60th Army

and his major reinforcements used to meet the German counterattack, from mid November on -

1st Tank Army

1st Guards Army

18th Army

4th Guards Tank Corps

25th Tank Corps

I am also interested in any details on the 1st Independent Czech brigade, which fought inside Kiev proper during the breakout period (one scenario is focused on them).

Alex, my sincere thanks. If you are ever in Kiev I owe you a beer.

I'm not sure, but maybe next year I'll be passing Kiev. Not sure though...

There is no strength information, at least in the file I looked at.

There can't be any data abuot strength.

Strength records are archival ones.

As Alex points out, the lists themselves (there must be hundreds of Megs of info) are huge but not exhaustive; I can see how independent companies and so on never got listed. But by that same token it is a giant mass of information. It lists not just ground but air and sea formations, right down to every major ship, apparently.

There were about 300Mb, or so.

I won't do translations, but if any of you CM guys need me to do a bit of digging on a particular unit or parent formation, shoot me an e-mail. The information is laid out fairly logically, from what I can tell, although I've only scratched the surface.

I think the best way is to translate abbreviations.

Regards

Alex

Ok, here is what I lifted from the "svodka", which is the compilation of the by-unit assignment reports. Theoretically, it would be possible to track down any of these sub-units and find out when exactly they got assigned to 1st Ukrainian Front, and when they got pulled out.

Jason, please let me know if this is of any use to you.

BTW I recently picked up a history of 3rd Guards Tank Army, and if you are interested I could post that formation's AFV strength at the beginning and end of campaign, by type. If you can use it, no problem to post it.

Also, the 3GTA book's chapter on the offensive to the Dniepr and the eventual break-out north of Kiev is outstanding. You want to know how the Soviets crossed that huge river without bridging assets, the book tells you. It's far too much to translate, but if it would be of use I might be able to distill their technique. In general it is nothing earth-shattering, just a concrete example of Red Army obstacle-crossing technique.

(As an example, at one point they mobilized 2000 villagers to drive piles into a shallow section of the river near Kaniv - periodically under German artillery fire - to build a 15-ton bridge. Construction materials were the forests and villages nearby. Stuff like that.)

Also, I checked, and in the official listings the elements of the November offensive that got placed under 1st Ukrainian's control (1GTA and others) only show up in the December report, which makes sense.

So without further adieu...

1st Ukrainian Front — November 1943

- 13th Army

15 Rifle Corps (8, 148, 211 RD)

28 Rifle Corps (181, 336, 425 RD)

19 Gd Cannon Art Rgt

874 Tank Destroyer Art Rgt

476 Mortar Rgt

10 Air Defence (Brigade*), (1064, 1336, 1342, and 1348 AD Rgt)

275 Separate Engineer Bde

49 Pontoon Bridge Rgt

50 Pontoon Bridge Rgt

- 27th Army

(Details on this army not provided as Jason didn't ask for them)

- 38th Army

23 Rifle Corps (23, 30 RD)

50 Rifle Corps (163, 167, 232, 340 RD)

51 Rifle Corps (136, 180, 240 RD)

21 Rifle Corps (71, 74 RD)

Infantry Brigade (Czech)

7 Breakthrough Art Corps, consisting of:

13 Breakthrough Art Div, (42 Lgt Art Bde, 47 Lgt Art Bde, 88 Hvy Art Bde, 91 Hvy Art Bde, 101 High-Power Howitzer Bde, and 22 Mortar Bde)

3 Gd Rocket Div, (15, 18, and 19 Gd Rocket Bde)

28 Tank Destroyer Artillery Div, (4 Gd, 316 Gd, 202, 868, 1075, 1660, and 1666 Tank Destroyer Artillery Bde)

8 Air Defence Div (797, 848, 978, and 1063 AD Rgt)

21 Air Defence Div (1044, 1334, and 1340 AD Rgt)

10 Air Defence Div (1346, 1228 AD Rgt)*

5 Gd Tank Corps (20, 21, 22 Gd Tank Bde; 6 Gd Motor Rifle Bde, 48 Gd Tank Rgt, 80 Motorcycle Bn, 1499 Tank Destroyer Artillery Rgt, 754 Separate Tank Destroyer Artillery Bn, 454 Mortar Rgt, 1696 Air Defence Rgt, and 39 Separate Tank Rgt)

7, 235, 268, and 1505 Separate Engineer Battalions

108 Pontoon Bridge Rgt

- 40th Army

(Details on this Army not provided as Jason didn't ask for them)

- 60th Army

17 Gd Rifle Corps (6 and 70 Gd RD)

18 Gd Rifle Corps (2, 3, and 4 Gd RD)

24 Rifle Corps (112 and 226 RD)

30 Rifle Corps (75 Gd and 121 RD)

77 Rifle Corps (132, 141, 143, and 280 RD)

1 Gd Artillery Division (3 Gd Lgt Art Bde, 1 Gd Cannon Art Bde)

1156 Cannon Rgt

130, 493, 1178, and 1689 Tank Destroyer Artillery Rgt

128, 138, 497 Air Defence Rgt

25 Air Defence Division (1354, 1358, 1364, 1370 Air Defence Rgt)

129 and 150 Tank Bde

59 Separate Tank Rgt

37, 49, and 58 Separate Armored Train

3rd Guards Tank Army

91 Gd Mortar Regiment

1381 and 1394 Air Defence Regiment

6 Gd Tank Corps (51, 52, and 53 Gd Tank Bde; 22 Gd Motor Rifle Bde, 1442 and 1893 SP Artillery Rgt, 3 Gd Motorcycle Bn, 55 Gd Separate Tank Destroyer Division, 272 Gd Mortar Rgt, 286 Gd Air Defence Rgt)

7 Gd Tank Corps (54, 55, and 56 Gd Tank Bde; 23 Gd Motor Rifle Bde, 1419 and 1884 SP Artillery Rgt, 4 Gd Motorcycle Bn, 56 Gd Separate Tank Destroyer Division, 467 Gd Mortar Rgt, 287 Gd Air Defence Rgt)

9 Motor Rifle Corps (69, 70, and 71 Motor Rifle Bde; 47 and Gd Tank Rgt, 1823 SP Artillery Rgt,

100 Motorcycle Bn, 396 Separate Tank Destroyer Division*, 386 Separate Tank Destroyer Rgt, 616 Mortar Rgt, 1719 Air Defence Rgt)

91 Tank Brigade

166 Separate Tank Rgt

1835 and 1836 SP Artillery Rgt

50 Motorcycle Rgt

2nd Air Army (Details on this Army not provided as Jason didn't ask for them)

Front Assets

218 and 322 RD

3 Gd Parachute Bde

1 Gd Cavalry Corps (1, 2, and 7 Gd Cav Div; 1461 SP Artillery Rgt; 143 Gd Tank Destroyer Artillery Rgt, 1 Gd Separate Tank Destroyer Artillery Division, 1 Gd Rocket Launcher Rgt, 49 Gd Mortar Division, 319 Air Defence Rgt)

24 Gd Cannon Artillery Bde

7 Gd Tank Destroyer Artillery Bde

317 Gd, 269, 563, 680, 1076, 1593, 1672 Tank Destroyer Artillery Rgt

494 Mortar Rgt

36, 98, 314, 316, and 323 Gd Rocket Rgt

1488 and 1954 Air Defence Rgt

332 Separate Air Defence Div

1454 and 45 SP Artillery Rgt

4 and 9 Engineer-Sapper Bde

15 Assault Engineer-Sapper Bde

42 Specialized Engineer Bde

3 and 6 Pontoon-Bridge Bde

13 Gd Miner Bn

20 Pontoon-Bridge Bn

* - Possible glitch in the formation name here, for instance "division" in text where brigade is logical, or a division seemingly subordinated to a brigade, or similar.

As there were too large number of mistakes in Bigduke6's post, I rewrote it as such:

---

- 13th Army

15 Rifle Corps (8, 148, 211 RD)

28 Rifle Corps (181, 336, 415 RD)

19 Gds Gun Art Rgt

874 Antitank Art Rgt

476,477th Mortar Rgts

10 Antiaircraft Division, (802,975,984 AA Art. Rgts)

1287 Antiaircraft Regiment

275 Separate Engineer Battalion

49 Pontoon Bn

50 Pontoon Bn

- 38th Army

23 Rifle Corps (23, 30 RD)

50 Rifle Corps (163, 167, 232, 340 RD)

51 Rifle Corps (136, 180, 240 RD)

21 Rifle Corps (71, 74 RD)

1st Czechoslovakian Infantry Brigade

7th Breakthrough Art Corps, consisting of:

13th Breakthrough Art Div: (42 Lgt Art Bde, 47 Howitzer Art Bde, 88,91 Hvy Art Bdes, 101 High-Power Howitzer Bde, and 17th

Mortar Bde)

17th Breakthrough Art Div: (37th Light Art. Bde, 39th Gun Art. Bde, 50th howitzer Art. Bde, 92nd Heavy howitzer Bde, 108th

High-power Howitzer Bde, 22nd Mortar Bde)

3rd Gds Mortar Div (Rem.AMVAS - Katyushas), (15, 18, and 19 Gds Mortar Bde)

-- end of the corps forces --

112th Gds Gun Art. Regt

1950th Gun Art. Regt

805,839th howitzer rEgts,

9th Gds Antitank Bde

28th Antitank Bde

4th Gds, 316th Gds, 202, 868, 1075, 1660, and 1666 Antitank Artillery Regts

12th Mortar Bde

491,492nd Mortar REgts

5,16,66,83 Gds. Mortar Regts (Katyushas)

8 Antiaircraft Div (797, 848, 978, and 1063 AA Art. Rgts)

21 Antiaircraft Div (1044, 1334, 1340, 1346 AA Art Rgt)

994th Antiaircraft Art. Regt/10th AA Div.

1288th Antiaircraft Art. Regt.

5th Gds Tank Corps: (20, 21, 22 Gds Tank Bdes; 6 Gds Motorised Rifle Bde, 48 Gds Tank Rgt, 80 Motorcycle Bn, 1499

AntitankArtillery Rgt, 754 Separate Antitank Artillery Bn, 454 Mortar Rgt, 1696 Antiticraft Rgt)

39 Separate Tank Rgt

7, 235, 268, and 1505 Separate Engineer Battalions

108 Pontoon Rgt

- 60th Army

17 Gds Rifle Corps (6 and 70 Gd RD)

18 Gds Rifle Corps (2, 3, and 4 Gds Airborne Divsions)

24 Rifle Corps (112 and 226 RD)

30 Rifle Corps (75 Gd and 121 RD)

77 Rifle Corps (132, 141, 143, and 280 RD)

248th Rifle Bde

1 Gds Artillery Division (3 Gds Lgt Art Bde, 1st Gds Gun Art Bde)

1156 Gun Art. Rgt

130, 493, 1178, and 1689 Antitank Artillery Rgt

128, 138, 497 Mortar Rgts

25 Antiaircraft Division (1067,1356,1362,1368 Antiaircraft Art. Rgts)

217th Antiaircraft Art. Rgt

129 and 150 Tank Bde

59 Separate Tank Rgt

37, 49, and 58 Separate Armored Train Battalions

59th Enginee-Sapper Bde

317th Separate Engineer Bn

9,21 Pontoon Bns

3rd Guards Tank Army

91 Gds Mortar Regiment (Katyushas)

1381 and 1394 Antiaircraft Art. Regiment

6 Gd Tank Corps (51, 52, and 53 Gds Tank Bdes; 22nd Gd Motorised Rifle Bde, 1442 and 1893 SP gun Artillery Rgts, 3 Gds

Motorcycle Bn, 289th Gds. Antitank Art. Regt.

55 Separate Gds Antitank Art Bn, 272 Gds Mortar Rgt, 286 Gds Antiaircraft Art Rgt)

7 Gd Tank Corps (54, 55, and 56 Gd Tank Bdes; 23 Gd Motorised Rifle Bde, 1419 and 1894 SP gun Artillery Rgt, 4th Gds

Motorcycle Bn, 56 Separate Gds Antitank Bn, 467 Gds Mortar Rgt, 287 Gds Antiaircraft Art. Rgt)

9 Mechanised Corps (69, 70, and 71 Mechanised Bdes; 47,59 Gds Tank Rgts, 1823 SP gun Artillery Rgt,

100 Motorcycle Bn, 396 Separate Antitank Art. Bn, 386 Separate Antitank Art. Rgt, 616 Mortar Rgt, 1719 Antiaircraft Art. Rgt)

91 Tank Brigade

166 Separate Tank Rgt

1835 and 1836 SP gun Artillery Rgt

50 Motorcycle Rgt

182nd Separate engineer Bn

Front Assets

218 and 322 RD

3 Gd Parachute Bde

3rd Gds. Airborne Division

1 Gds Cavalry Corps (1, 2, and 7 Gds Cav Div; 1461 SP gun Artillery Rgt; 143 Gds Antitank Art, Rgt, 1 Separate Gds Antitank

Artillery Bn, 1 Gds Mortar Rgt (Katyushas), 49 Gds Mortar Bn, 319 Antiaircraft Art. Rgt)

24 Gds Gun Artillery Bde

7 Gds Antitank Artillery Bde

2nd Antitank Artillery Bde

317 Gds, 269, 563, 680, 1076, 1593, 1672 Antitank Artillery Rgts

494 Mortar Rgt

36, 98, 314, 316, and 323 Gds Mortar Rgts (Katyushas)

1488 and 1954 Antiaircraft Art. Rgts

332 Separate Antiaircraft Art. Bn

1454 SP gun Artillery Rgt

45th Separate Armored Train Bn

4 and 9 Engineer-Sapper Bde

15 Assault Engineer-Sapper Bde

42 Special Destination Engineer Bde

3 and 6 Pontoon Bdes

13 Gds Miner Bn

20 Pontoon Bn

--

Rem.

Russian terms

"Diviziya"=Division

and

"Divizion"=Battalion (Artillery, Armored Train and some others)

Also I prefer to specify "Katyushas" rocket launcers units to distinguish them with Gds. units of ordinary mortars.

Of course for them we can use Gds. Rocket Artillery Regiment/Bn... designation too

Regards

Alex