German vs soviet tanks

German tanks seem to be very good at long range. So, how do i counter that? German tanks are very accuarte, but soviet tanks are not. I lost cracking the egg because of tigers and sturms vs my ISUs. My ISUs are no match for them. And the thing is, the germans had their tanks way back, so if i advance all the way to their tanks, i might get assaulted by infantry. And waht is the advantage soviet tanks have over german tanks?

Haven't played that sceanrio but try to maneuver for side shots if possible. Rear shots sound unlikely from your brief description of the layout. Also if you locate one enemy tank then move several of yours into position to shoot at the same time. He may get one of yours but you should get him, then move on to the next. Keep your infantry ahead of your tanks, and if you have any tank hunters then move them up for a close assault. A stationary tank that is not well protected by infantry is vulnerable to tank hunters.

Originally posted by Gungalley:

And waht is the advantage soviet tanks have over german tanks?

You usually get lots more of them than the Germans.

Actually, from 41-42 the T-34 and KV tanks had a huge advantage in armor over the Germans, so it's easier to just bum rush them. Their 76mm gun may not be the most accurate, but it can take out anything it hits. Once Tigers and Panthers are available, you need to do more work in picking out covered approaches to get in close for flanking shots. Once IS-2s come into play, you're at a nearly even footing (except for lack of on-board ammo).

Cracking the Egg - you chose a real toughy.

I have had a look at it from the allied side only and you have to think if I can get 50% plus without risking my SU@s that might be the secret.

Historically the Allies would never go head to head if they could help it. So always try to think if the point vlues you are risking are going to pay off.

I do not think anyone could win this at first attempt without huge luck.

1st attempt minor defeat 41/59, 3rd 51/49 to me!!!

Great scenario the key to this one though is the high ground on the left (as allies)

seniding some 122's up that way with some infantry will win the battle as you catch those tigers flank on and then get to use plunging fire into the remnants of the town.

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking the Egg is dam tough.

I put the ISUs on the two flanks, advanced a section up the gulley on the right side, and tried to catch the enemy in a cross fire, while advancing infantry up the middle, along the tree route.

Getting accurate reading on his guns wasn't easy, and the artillery wasn't very accurate. I tried popping up at end of turn, then roll back, and shoot and scoot, first one flank, then the other, trying to time it so that his anti-tank guns would be caught in mid-swivel. But my tanks couldn't hit enemy troops with anything like the accuracy the Germans had. Popping my tanks up took a huge toll on the ISUs.

Eventually I hoped to reach his guns and take'm out with infantry, but I just didn't have enough of them to push through the German defenses, especially with his tanks blasting away. I could only support them with ISUs from spots blind to his guns.

Have to take another shot at it, using hindsight and try to pre-empt the Tiger entrance on the left as suggested.

As for Russian tank advantage, the only one is really numbers. The game engine doesn't emphasize Soviet numerical superiority enough, IMHO.

kunstler

SPOILERS Cracking the Egg

-

-

-

-

--

--

-

-

-

-

-

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

-

-

-

-

--

-

The tigers popped into being when my ISU tank horde was reaching the paved road on the left, just behind the hill. I had about 12 tanks vs. 4, 9 engaged first turn, 3 more the next turn. I lost 10 tanks to the German 2. the ISU makes a very impressive bang but they just don't have great accuracy. I think the Tiger crews were more experienced, too, but I'm not sure. Brutal! Have to try and move in faster next time I guess!

The one gripe I had playing this scenario was that when my Sturmovick air support turned up it failed completely to kill any of the German tanks.

Trust me send the 122's with a squad riding on them to deal with any flanking infantry dashing up the left flank to the high ground and you can almost be waiting for the tigers to turn up side on.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of head to head, meeting engagement scenarios between Russian and German tanks.

Just played one called: von Lauchert (something like that). Think it comes with the CD. I tried it from the German side and later from the Soviet. I thought it was an especially tough scenario for the Russian. Anyone else played it and won as the Soviets?

If you haven't, give it a whirl. See if you can pull out a win. Even against the AI I think it will take me several more goes before I can do so.

MAJOR SPOILERS for von Lauchert

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--

-

-

-

-

-

-

--

-

As the Germans, you get a pack of Panthers. I stood of f and engaged the Soviets at long range. The biggest worry was that I'd run out of ammo, as the Soviets have a lot of tanks. Fortunately for the Germans, they can't hit anything, and if they do, they can't penetrate the forward armour.

I took out 69 Soviet tanks, 3 or 4 KV-1s, 4 Shermans, 4 Churchills, 10 T70s, some captured German tanks, most of the rest T34s.

I lost nothing. Not a single tank. Hell I didn't have a single casualty in my entire force, including the infantry advancing over open ground! The Russians didn't hit my tanks with more than two or three times in 45 turns, most shots missed. It was a breeze.

By the end of the fighting however, I only had 3 Panthers left with AP rounds (20, 30, 16 or so). By then he only had 2 or 3 tanks left so no biggie.

Does that make me a tactical genius? Heheheh. I wish.

Played later as the Soviets. I had foreknowledge about the German positions and numbers so I thought I'd do better. I think I followed the logical strategy for the Russkies: I rushed my tanks ASAP to the gorges that feed into the main ravine/soggy bottom river bed, using them for cover, then set up to hit the Panthers as they crested the ridge of the ravine at point blank range.

I got most of my original slew of tanks in safe (minus the tank commanders, the AI nailed them, and a few T70s which toasted quick). Then I got all but two of the reinforcing assault guns into the gorge.

The next wave of T34s I tried to shuttle up as well, but the Panthers had moved forward by then and butchered most, one made the gorge, one I managed to pull back from the crest.

The remainder of the reinforcements I stopped at the hill. It was just getting too risky, the Panthers too accurate and my tanks too inaccurate to risk long range exchanges. I tried some shoot and scoot but nobody made it to the scoot part.

So I waited for the Panthers to crawl up to the ravine. Here I had positioned my tanks in groups of 3/4 to either side of the advancing panthers. Couldn't get the dang LOS quite right and the different tank pods didn't engage at quite the same time, the command delays for some were pretty long. I screwed up on coordinating that and getting LOS exactly right for them all.

The Germans got the jump, started shooting first. Engaged at around 69 meters direct, 200 meters flanks. Some of the Panthers on the far flank started firing into the rear of my tanks on the other side trying to ambush the other set of his tanks. Whoops. Had to move forward quick with the force set for them to stop that fire.

Heck fiddling with the LOS was proving difficult so I just moved everybody to contact at the ravine, and then rushed forward with the horde from back at the hill.

It was a slaughter. Half the horde rushed to the ravine, none made it. The other half tried to hull down and distract/fire into flanks of the Panthers. No luck there, they were dead pretty fast.

At the ravine, I took out 4 Panthers, but the T34s kept reversing into cover rather than shooting (they were less experienced crews) which hurt the number of shots I got off. It was hard to get them forward from two angles at the same time. Even at short ranges 60m-200m the Panther frontal armour was tough. Each turn I got a slew of Knocked Out messages popping up over my tanks.

I still had infantry in the trees but only 3 tanks left. He'd knocked out the AT guns I 'd tried to position on the hill side and rear trees. So that was time to hand in the towel and surrender: 69 vehicles to 4. Man that's an awful result, especially since I knew what was coming.

I didn't manage my attempted ambush at the ravine as well as I could have. Still. I thought the scenario illustrated the superiority of long range German guns and piercing ammo over Soviet armour quite aptly.

Gotta go now and search for a thread that explains how to win von Lau as Soviets.

cheers,

kunstler