Looking for some Orchestral Music for CMBB

Hmmm. . . off the top of my head, some "heavy deep orchestral music". The following is a list of composers who tend to do this kind of thing; in some cases I've suggested a title or two as well.

The aforementioned Mussorgsky

Holst (The Planets Suites, esp. "Jupiter" & "Mars")

Orff (There's more to him than the well-known Carmina Burana)

Wagner (an obvious choice)

Mozart (gotta pick the right ones, though -- try his unfinished Requiem, esp. "Dies Irae")

Verdi (The "Anvil Chorus" from Il Traviatore is a good choice)

Berloiz (Try "March to the Scaffold")

Tchaikovsky (There is NOTHING like winning as Russians to the strains of the 1812 overture!!)

Stravinsky (Esp. parts of the Firebird Suite)

------------------

That should get you started. There are also some fun contemporary composers. One of my personal favorites is the "Asteroid Chase" part of the from the Empire Strikes Back Soundtrack by John Williams.

Actually, film scores are great fun. Look for stuff by James Horner (probably NOT "Titantic, but some of his other stuff, like "Braveheart" has good "fightin' music"). Hans Zimmer would be another modern film score composer to look at.

Cheers,

YD

I like using the soundtrack to "The Battle of the Bulge" (1965) when I play Combat Mission. Sure, the movie generally sucked, but Benjamin Frankel's score was superb. For you Germanophiles out there, it even includes the famous Tanker's Chorus doing "Panzerlied".

In the 1970s, I used to have the vinyl LP (extremely hard to find, even back then) -- which I 'inherited' from my brother. As per the norm of soundtracks of that era, only the main music cues were used on the LP. A couple years ago (2000), CPO released the complete score, with Werner Andreas Albert conducting the Queensland Symphony Orchestra. This new CD version also sports a wonderful set of liner notes. Once again, my brother spotted this rare beauty in one of his filmscore magazines and ordered it up for me. I was in tears hearing Frankel's wonderfully uplifting music again.

Of course, I have some favorite pieces. The 'Prelude' and 'Victory and Postlude' -- the Overture of the work, so to speak, are incredible bits of music. 'Massacre at Malmady' nicely captures the spirit of dejection and defeat. 'The Attack on the Fuel Depot Fails and Hessler is Killed' revisits many of the themes used throughout the score, ending in a fiery climax. My favorites, however, are the pairing of 'The German Tanks Emerge and Break Through' and 'First Tank Battle': both are wonderful pieces to choreograph a battle by, and lend a wonderful ambience to many of the scenarios and operations that I play.

Mark

Originally posted by Skolman:

why just orchestral music?

i could mention a hundred other songs for CM !

Because that's what the guy who started this thread asked for.

Hey, whatever floats your boat. You can play your Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys while your infantry prance suggestively around your gyrating tanks if you want to. :D

Originally posted by Buq-Buq:

I like using the soundtrack to "The Battle of the Bulge" (1965) when I play Combat Mission. Sure, the movie generally sucked. . .

Now that's an understatment. That movie didn't just "generally" suck--it sucked hard. tongue.gif

On another note, if you want to leave the orchestra and come down to the level of the popular masses, you might try listening to "Spanish Bombs" by the Clash the next time you play a Spanish Civil War based scenario. :cool: