T-28

Actually I think that Battlefront said there will be a last patch for CMBB.

I note in CMAK that the sub-turrets on the A9 do not work (of course) They only appear to fire like fixed forward hull guns in tests I ran.

Nevertheless as there were 500 odd produced, they represent 25% of the soviet medium and hevy tank strength on the eve of the Great Patriotic War.

Originally posted by Wol:

Actually I think that Battlefront said there will be a last patch for CMBB

Yes, they said that 1.03 would be the final patch for CMBB and that they would not be adding the improvments from CMAK to CMBB. Just like they did not improve CMBO after CMBB came out.

I note in CMAK that the sub-turrets on the A9 do not work (of course) They only appear to fire like fixed forward hull guns in tests I ran.

Nevertheless as there were 500 odd produced, they represent 25% of the soviet medium and hevy tank strength on the eve of the Great Patriotic War.

No new patch for CM:BB. No T-28s. No functional multi-turret tanks in CM:BB.

... and from what I understand, most of them never even made it to the battlefield due to mechanical breakdown.

It would have been a nice little piece of frosting to have the multi-turret designs in CMBB, but I really don't think it's a big deal considering the small number of multi-turret tanks that actually saw combat on the East Front.

As has already been implied, the multi-turret modeling in CMAK is a bit of a patchwork affair - it's better than nothing, though, and I'm sure there will be a more detail model in CMX2.

As has already been noted. you're probably wasting your breath calling for another CMBB patch. I suppose it's remotely possible BFC could change its mind, but they've clearly stated on a number of occasions that CMBB (and CMBO, for that matter) are considered finished products at this point and will stand as they are.

Personally, I would rather see them focus on building the new model, rather than trying to tweak every little blemish in the currently released games.

Regards,

YD

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

... and from what I understand, most of them never even made it to the battlefield due to mechanical breakdown.

That's T-35. T-28 itself wasn't such a bad design, certainly nothing like it's big brother. Finnish army still used them in 1944.

T-35: t35_1.gif

- has a main 76,2mm turret, two 45mm turrets and two MG turrets

T-28: t28.gif

- has a main 76,2mm turret and two MG turrets

Anyway, I'm not arguing that BFC should include them now. I'm just arguing that dropping them out was a strange move, as it's not truly multi-turreted (those MG turrets wouldn't have needed real modelling).

Nope, I'm not thinking of the T-35, though I certainly agree with your point that, relatively speaking, the T-28 was a more sound design than the T-35, and propotationally speaking I would guess that far more T-28s made it to the fighting than T-35. My understanding is that both the T-35 and the T-28 (and indeed many other Russian designs, including the KV-1) broke down in droves before they reached any fighting in 1941. In the T-28's case it was probably due more to lack of spare parts, skilled crews and maintenance workers than with the T-35, which was just an all-around mechanically improbable design.

I'm sure some T-28s did see combat, I'm just not sure how many. It would be interesting to know how many of the 500 or so in service on June 22nd, 1941 actually got to fire a shot in anger at German ground forces.

Cheers,

YD

Nope, I'm not thinking of the T-35, though I certainly agree with your point that, relatively speaking, the T-28 was a more sound design than the T-35, and propotationally speaking I would guess that far more T-28s made it to the fighting than T-35. My understanding is that both the T-35 and the T-28 (and indeed many other Russian designs, including the KV-1) broke down in droves before they reached any fighting in 1941. In the T-28's case it was probably due more to lack of spare parts, skilled crews and maintenance workers than with the T-35, which was just an all-around mechanically improbable design.

I'm sure some T-28s did see combat, I'm just not sure how many. It would be interesting to know how many of the 500 or so in service on June 22nd, 1941 actually got to fire a shot in anger at German ground forces.

Cheers,

YD

According to "The Russian Battlefield", there were 80 T-28 in Kyiv Military district at the beginning of Barbarossa.

They also list an awful, unintentionally comic, tally of losses of t-35's in June and July 41 for 8th mech corp, in Western Ukraine.

It reads like a report from the Corps commanders to higher up the chain of command.

Of the 48 T-35 starting out 37 succumbed to mechanical failures, usually transmission and friction clutches, 7 were knocked out by the germans, 2 fell off bridges and were abandoned, 1 sank in a swamp, and one was "lost without a trace".

I would not want to have been there for that phone call. :mad:

Personally, I would rather see them focus on building the new model, rather than trying to tweak every little blemish in the currently released games.

Regards,

YD

What about the "little blemish" in 1.03 where the purchase of wire, minefields and roadblocks cost you (the defender) casualty points equal to their purchase cost. Would you consider that a minor problem?

Regards

Jim R.

The T-28s made a significant impact in the leningrad area as I recall...

In any case the T-28s in 1941 were at least as reliable as the 1500 odd KVs and T-34, more so in view of the development period and proven technology. They did make over 500 for goodness sake, that is more than all the jagdpanthers and jagdtiger combined!

I only hope that battlefront plan this as a suprise for us. The T-50 wouldn't go amiss either.

cheers