Infantry vs AI tanks

How do you make good use of bazookas, panzerfausts etc in this game ? these weapons are much harder to use effectively in CM than in some other games. In the original Close Combat II , for example, anytime an Allied tank got close to a German infantry unit the tank would blow up. CC II was unrealistic of course.

The main problem I have fighting AI led armour with bazookas, panzerfausts is that the CM AI isn't as stupid as other AIs. Infantry accompanies the tanks. I try to separate the infantry from the tanks, but this is difficult. Also the AI tanks seem to have beter spotting abilities than in Close Combat or Steel Panthers.

I have built my own scenarios where AI led combined arms teams attack infantry units, but have yet to come up with an effective way to fight AI tanks with just infantry AT weapons.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but that;

'My main problem is that my opponent isn't incompetant'

It's a whole new way to put things.

Towns are good for killing tanks with infantry, as you can predict where the armour is going more easily and set up infantry to ambush, which is the key. I've designed a litte operation that has a fair bit of fighting in a town, with a couple of platoons of T34s and ISU152s vs a company of German infantry. And three stugs. Once into the town, AI controlled tanks suffered almost all their casualties from infantry, so it can happen.

Just a few ideas - this is no walkthru. Make up your mind and think about the ideas. Put them together with other info. You can improve your tactics, the AI can't (until CMAK or CM2, that is)

Borg spotting only works in the command phase.

Make sure the team attacking the tank is not seen in the turn before and the tank is buttoned (sharpshooters, MGs, infantry).

A suppressed team or squad will not fire as accurate as an unsuppressed team - I guess threats to tanks are a high priority target once discovered by the tank.

Make sure the quality of the infantry is good. Having them in command of a stealth or combat bonus HQ helps.

Keep the tank occupied by other threats. If he goes for another tank or a speeding AC a mile away, the squad will have much better chances.

Hunt like animals do: separate a tank from the herd (ie infantry and other tanks), and then attack it. Creating local superiority to get an unsuppressed shot at the tank is key. (Local superiorty means to have more and better units involved in the fight than the enemy, not to have more men in the region[/]. If it is a hidden ambush by one team, you have local superiority. If your arty pins the accompanying infantry and you move in to kill the tank that is a bit too much forward, this will do.

If you have an AI that coordinates its units, you have to coordinate your units even better. The AI does not coordinate its formations as good as a human player, so this should be possible.

Gruß

Joachim