Button modification?

I think the button up and open up orders need to be expanded to the following.

Stay buttoned - never open up untill ordered

Button up - work as the current command

Threatened - very small portion of head is

visible with exposure factor

greatly reduced from open up.

Spotting capacity greatly

reduced,but much better than

Buttoned.Risk to shock is good,

but not as great as opened.

Open up - work as current command

Just a thought, Im really tired of my commanders

popping open into what they see as no threat, but I know it is and they get shocked.What do you think of the 2 new orders? Stay Buttoned and Threatened

I would like to add the following unbuttoned conditions along with what has already been suggested here in this post:

1) Commander completely out of cupola with legs dangling off side of turret (for tanks) or off side of chassis (for tank destroyers). Probably drinking a bottle of schnapps or vodka or apple juice or something like that.

Command = Leisurely Unbuttoned

2) Entire crew outside of tank relieving themselves. (No pun intended here as the entire crew would literally be un-buttoned. No zipper flys back then just buttons.)

Command = Can't Wait Unbuttoned

3) Tank commander looking around completely lost and badly in need of directions. Probably looking for nearest local inhabitant to get his bearings.

Command = Lost Unbuttoned

4) Piss drunk crew singing patriotic songs and rolling about on the ground vomiting.

Command = Helplessly Unbuttoned

5) Entire crew locked securely inside tank and sleeping #4 option off.

Command = Don't disturb Buttoned

Hey listen....I'm obviously just kidding.

Seriously,

I think the "stay buttoned until I tell you to get out" option has some merit. In a sense you are taking away control from your tank commanders AI but I can see where they might think they are safe while you as the player know that there is a good chance there might be some enemy lurking around the immediate vicinity.

I have pictures from inside a Sherman, through the vision ports. You cannot see much. So, stay buttoned would work till the first time a squad got the drop on a tank and destroyed it, then the howling and wailing would begin.

Tank commander is one of the most adngerous jobs there is. The tank commander could be shot, or he could go about the countryside blind.

Either way, will not change for CMAK.

Rune

Originally posted by Sergei:

Currently (CMBB 1.03) one of those is already covered, in the sense that if you tell your commander to button up, he'll stay that way for at least the next turn. So if you unbutton and re-button up him at the start of every turn, it works that way already. Just FYI...

Good point. I had forgotten about this.

Factual error: Most hilarious was the scene in which the german "Tiger" tank moved towards one house. The tank commander stood in the open hatch and gave orders. First: Never would a tank commander in heavy combat stand up in an open hatch. Second: He said something like: "Shoot onto that house." It is not at all imaginable that he could have been heard, even if he shouted, let alone understood. Such a tank made a noise much louder than the one of a human voice.

Ok i know its trivial but i found this on website with movie mistakes. Yes i know i have a lot of spare time. But i have a feeling that this not true, didn't german tanks had internal com devices between crews??

"Never would a tank commander in heavy combat stand up in an open hatch."

I recall seeing some mighty odd photos of tanks in action from the Vietnam war. Commanders perched on top of their vehicles like birds, issuing orders and laying down mg fire. And if you think this wouldn't be done in WWII remember, late war Russian and German tanks fielded cupola-mounted mgs for their TCs to use. Someone once said a buttoned tank commander was deaf/dumb/and blind. You either get killed because you keep your head out of the hatch, or you get killed because you keep your head in the hatch!

About CMBB commanders getting 'shocked', a lot of that has to do with how aggressively CM is usually played. Not many people keep their tanks on a ridge 1,000m outside of town banging away as the infantry goes in. You could open all your scenarios in the editor and triple the alloted play time. It would probably make for a grindingly slow game but it might give you enough time for proper infantry support and recon during a battle! :D

[ November 14, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]