Blockbuster source (some gore)

Troops,

While chasing down Russian 120mm mortar projectile data, I found the rare Army Green Book WOUND BALLISTICS volume online here.

http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/woundblstcs/default.htm

Chapter I Enemy Ordnance Materiel is an absolute gold mine of grog weapon data on German, Japanese, North Korean and ChiCom weapons from small arms to artillery. It's full of charts, tables, and photos. The rest of the book is a pioneering study of a decidedly disturbing topic. Since it's for medical types, it's heavily illustrated. Consider yourselves warned!

Regards,

John Kettler

[ November 16, 2005, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

From the source you provided:

"By means of minor design alterations, the Pz.B 39 was modified to a grenade throwing rifle (Granatbüchse 39). The attached launcher was the Scheissbecher which was the same type used on the Mauser Kar. 98K rifle."

Yes, the Scheissbecher!

This awesome device, the Scheissbecher SB 00/15, was developed by Mauser's contractor Faekalia Arms later in the war in order to help the Wehrmacht overcome the increasingly serious ammunition shortages. Soldiers would just drop their human waste into the Scheissbecher and attach it to their K98. Then, the SB-00/15, by chemical processes of great complexity, would turn the excrements into deadly projectiles of destructive power unheard of. The new type of ammo - the R.m.w.w.K. "Rektalgeschoß mit weichem warmen Kern" (~"rectal cartridge, soft warm core") was first tested by members of the Brandenburg division. It was by far superiour to the S.m.K.: Effects on the battlefield were devastating. In reaction to this new type of warfare, the Red Army drenched its soldiers with disinfectant. The SB 00/15 did not, however, achieve widespread use due to technical difficulties which could never be solved until the Reich collapsed. That is the reason why the Scheissbecher is barely remembered by veterans. Historians have also maintained silence about this rather unglamorous chapter of military history, which is why the SB 00/15 is only known to the most groggiest of grogs.

Yet it is definitely one of those "wonder weapons" that Nazi officials referred to during the last months of the war. There can be no doubt that a mass use of these monstrous devices could have turned the tide in favour to the germans.

[Edit: info: "Scheissbecher" is a typo, the correct form is "Schiessbecher". The translation of Schiessbecher would be "Shootmug" - A mug that is shot with - while "Scheissbecher" would be "****mug" - A mug that is **** in. Great typo. This german diphthong seems to get mixed up frequently, compare "Blitzkreig"]

Greetings

Krautman

[ November 17, 2005, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: Krautman ]

Krautman,

Earthy, but gets my vote for best weapon description based on an inadvertent pun, and in a foreign language at that! Am now aware that when at gunpoint by a Landser, pronunciation becomes all-important. Might take exception if I issue a heartfelt plea regarding his excretory functions!

Regards,

John Kettler

"We now return to our Ordance Materiel discussion."