Turret rotation speeds - is BFC considering the exact rotation in seconds or...

is there just to little Grog info floating around for the next CM game regarding these stats in seconds, i.e. how long it takes for the turret of a specific AFV do the full rotation. Or is the existing "Very fast, fast, medium" etc. considered enough of an aproximation for BTS/BFC?

Sincerely,

header_Winelands02.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

</font>

Turret turns depend on a lot of things in WW2.

To name a few;

Weight of turret.

Hydraulics or nor.

Electric or not.

Quality of optics.

Experience of crew. (some turrets you need big mussels to get it around)

Inner command delay between commander and gunner to fire at a target.

Loaders have to walk with the turret otherwise they get bogged in some turrets.

Location of the ammo storage. I.e. for some tanks you will get the ammo out of the hull.

Long or short barrel.

So this are just a few and it is almost impossible to calculate them all. Or you must have a

P IV 8 Ghz ;)

A leopard 2A5 turns the turret 360 in 9 seconds at the moment. For the average rotation times from a medium tank in WW2 you can take your doggy bag with you. And for the heavy ones your sleeping bag.

Did some little tests and it seems like there are fixed times for the different turret speeds:

All vehicles tested had to turn for 180°, Allied as well as Axis.

Turret speed, time required:

very fast, 7 sec

fast, 13 sec

medium, 16 sec

slow, 22 sec

very slow 30 sec

Of course I don´t know where BFC took the data from, but the time for very slow turrets is probably from the Tiger as it is known that it took 60 sec for 360° with hydraulic support.

With the hand cranks, probably each gunner was different, depending on too many factors (fitness, strength, tiredness, etc.).

Jaws, Brightblade,

I realize there will be a lot of factors involved, even among the same type of tanks but with different quality crews.

Question is, do the well-known authors on ground combat warfare during WWII (and after) have any figures on rotation speeds at all published? Or are the rotation speeds almost non-usable: i.e.rotation speeds are so dependant on crew quality that each tank (same type) will always have different rotation speeds and thus it is not worth simulating to a higher degree than what it already is in CM?

If simulated more closely than the current "Very fast, fast" for all tanks, it will make for more "interesting" and realistic tank duels, obviously modified by crew quality.

Ahh, so many requests on one man. Poor Charles, he has his work cut-out now for the next 15 years...

Sincerely,

WineCape

Some vehicles it's quite variable. The King Tiger for example had a hydraulic traverse that varied with the RPMs of the engine. At the maximum allowable 3000 RPM it apparently was capable of 360 degree traverse in under 10 seconds. At 2000 RPM it could do it in 19 seconds. This doesn't really match the measurements Brightblade took at all.

Problem with most German hydaulic supported turrets was that they only worked while the tanks didn´t move.

It´s described in the Tigerfibel, there were even two gears, one for fast traversing, one for slow.

But they don´t say anything about the actual rotation speed.

When tank was moving, or if the hydraulic didn´t work, there were only the hand cranks.

On the other hand, as German tanks had no gyro stabilizers, they stopped if they wanted to engage enemy tanks. Shots while the tank was moving were usually only meant to pin the enemy while the tank moved to the next cover or hull down position.

So it would be better if tanks without gyro stabilizers wouldn´t fire at all while moving.

About the King Tiger, I also read somewhere that its turret was quite fast. If the hydraulic was working. I don´t know why BFC decided that the KT has a slow turret in CM. Maybe this should somehow take into account the much longer time it took to traverse the turret manually, while moving or when the hydraulic wasn´t working. Maybe not.

As it was stated several times in this forum that BFC didn´t tweak units to be more balanced but made them as realistic as they could, I assume that this possible answer can be excluded.

[ February 03, 2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

So it seems that the "current 5-speed settings" for turret rotation speeds are still going to be the best aproximation for the next release of CM. Just too many factors involved to set an arbitralily x-second turn for each AFV's turret based on some (rather scanty) grog info out there.

Oh well, I suppose testing the penetration abilities of the glory AFV's after WWII were more interesting than turret speeds...