Am I doing something wrong

I am in a mission where my infantry are cleaning up but my Panzer III's kept getting destroyed by Russian t-34's. My veteran tank crews can't even seem to hit the T-34's. Whats going on? I'm in hulls down position within 1000 meters and whenever i use shoot & scoot the tanks are taken out pretty quickly. Other tanks firing from about 1300 meters are having the same amount of luck. Is like we are wholly inaccurate in every way. Any tips?

Originally posted by Superhero08:

I am in a mission where my infantry are cleaning up but my Panzer III's kept getting destroyed by Russian t-34's. My veteran tank crews can't even seem to hit the T-34's. Whats going on? I'm in hulls down position within 1000 meters and whenever i use shoot & scoot the tanks are taken out pretty quickly. Other tanks firing from about 1300 meters are having the same amount of luck. Is like we are wholly inaccurate in every way. Any tips?

Are you sure your PIII's are not hitting the T-34's? Sounds like your in that window where/when Russia had the German's outgunned. What version are you playing? It's highly unlikely, but watch where your rounds are hitting, in the early(pre-patch) release the were certain situations where your AFV's would send round after round into the crest just in front of them.....and then there some days when your guys just can't hit a thing. :D Those are bad days!

KC

Originally posted by Superhero08:

Pz IIIs against T34s at 1000+ meters is pretty much a no win situation. Do you have "Detailed Armor Hits" on? Shift-D; this will at least tell you if you're hitting.

As for the Shoot-and-Scoot; I have had the same problem, coming from full defilade into hull down and I immediately get lit up with targeting lines by everything within view, even those units/vehicles that are buttoned up, not sure if that is a bug.

[ May 08, 2003, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Hank53 ]

Originally posted by Hank53:

As for the Shoot-and-Scoot; I have had the same problem, coming from full defilade into hull down and I immediately get lit up with targeting lines by everything within view, even those units/vehicles that are buttoned up, not sure if that is a bug.

err,....after reading your profile I'm guessing that I should be deferring to your expertise... :eek:

Be sure to move your *shoot and scoot guys*, and not just by 10 yds., the AI will lock onto a repetitive position.

KC

Originally posted by Hank53:

My guess is that you are a victim of "Borg spotting". If ANYBODY sees you then EVERYBODY knows exactly where you are. More of a limitation of the game than a bug. Just wait for the engine re-write, then it'll be perfect! ;)

Originally posted by Krazy Canuck:

Be sure to move your *shoot and scoot guys*, and not just by 10 yds., the AI will lock onto a repetitive position.

Are you sure? One of the major complaints in CMBO was that the AI suffered from an incurable case of "out of sight, out of mind" (go to the forum archives and search on "Villers-Bocage," "turret," and "why." ;) ). If this has changed in CMBB, I missed the fanfare.

Originally posted by Offwhite:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Krazy Canuck:

Are you sure? One of the major complaints in CMBO was that the AI suffered from an incurable case of "out of sight, out of mind" (go to the forum archives and search on "Villers-Bocage," "turret," and "why." ;) ). If this has changed in CMBB, I missed the fanfare. </font>

Originally posted by redwolf:

If think it is the computed opponent which is expecting tanks where they last appeared now in CMBB. The TacAI assisting the player doesn't seem to have changed in that regard.

KC, is that what you meant?

Ahhh..I'm not sure.

What I meant was; when playing against the AI, it now seems to remember where it was attacked from. As an example I gave the scenario Hornets Nest. I found that if I used the *shoot and scoot* command for a Nashhorn, i.e. up to the top of the ridge, duck back down and went back up to the same locale that by the 3rd time there was several enemy tanks waiting for me. If, on the other hand I got away with this a couple of times with one I had on the far left of the ridge and left him out of sight, but brought the far right up, it would take at least a couple of turns for these tanks to have me sighted in, but, when I brought the first one back up after 3-4 turns, the Allies would take a couple of turns to return its focus and so on.

Clear as mud? smile.gif

KC

Originally posted by Krazy Canuck:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

If think it is the computed opponent which is expecting tanks where they last appeared now in CMBB. The TacAI assisting the player doesn't seem to have changed in that regard.

KC, is that what you meant?

Ahhh..I'm not sure.

What I meant was; when playing against the AI, it now seems to remember where it was attacked from. As an example I gave the scenario Hornets Nest. I found that if I used the *shoot and scoot* command for a Nashhorn, i.e. up to the top of the ridge, duck back down and went back up to the same locale that by the 3rd time there was several enemy tanks waiting for me. If, on the other hand I got away with this a couple of times with one I had on the far left of the ridge and left him out of sight, but brought the far right up, it would take at least a couple of turns for these tanks to have me sighted in, but, when I brought the first one back up after 3-4 turns, the Allies would take a couple of turns to return its focus and so on.

Clear as mud? smile.gif

KC </font>

Even in CMBO, in the MIDDLE of a turn, if you exposed a tank, all enemy tanks tend to stop what they are doing, and race over to get LOS. So that was a big advantage for the AI, b/c your tanks of course can't do that without orders. If you're only moving 20-30m away on a shoot/scoot, you may still be in LOS of where the TacAI controlled AI tanks have moved from when they 1st sighted you.