Recommended game length

MEs and probes can be shorter, 30-35 minutes might suffice at that scale. For attacks and assaults a more deliberate approach through fire has to be expected, so add 10 minutes to those figures. You don't need to go up to a hour and it introduces unrealistic ammo games to do so. (Scenarios only need to be that long if half the forces arrive halfway through etc).

[Roll Eyes] I think that 5-7 minuts is enough for 12 Tigers to erase 21 T-34 from an open map with gentle sloops. [Wink]
Of course it depends if the sloops are armed or not and whose side they are on. I don't expect the sides of the sloop, being typically composed of heavy oak timbers would put up much of a defense against the AP from either 76mm or 88mm, but either way they could provide cover for the T34s to move closer. If armed, its canons could be represented by panzerfausts I suppose, since they are the closest thing to artillery that you could fit in a building, so it looks like armed sloops would have to be German.

You could probably best represent sloops in CMBB by using a two storied light building (I checked CMMODS and I could not find any sloop mods, so light buildings + imagination will have to do). It should not matter that the light buildings are immobile (except when reduced in a downward motion) since I don't think sloops move particularly rapidly on land either.

Looks like an exciting scenario could be made from this: T34s vs tigers with the sloops adding a chaotic element. Especially if they are pirates. Maybe need a gamemaster to command them and make pirate noises.

Let me know if you need a beta tester.

Actually, I am not sure who the ;) is winking at, but I would have thought 20 turns (variable) is not a bad answer. That makes for a crisper, quicker game. Depends on what your mood is. Some people like long initial maneuver sequences, with cautious recon. Some people (or, the same people at different times) find that tedious.

Certainly reducing the number of turns puts more pressure on the attacker, everthing else remaining equal--can essentially be used as a balancing/handicapping tool.

You can get a meeting engagement out of 20 turns, albeit a flag rush that is won by the first person to arrive, but I don't see how ou can possibly carry out a probe/attack/assault in less than 30-35+. 40+ seems to work ok for assaults. This is all personal however....that's what suits my play style, and might not at all be suitable for someone else.

If the game's infantry-heavy and they've got a hike before making contact with the enemy I'd say 35 turns - with an understanding that you might or might not need those last ten turns. There's nothing worse than having 10 turns worrth of maneuvers left with just 3 turns remaining in the scenario.

If you plan to properly scout out the enemy positions before making any moves you might want to add several more turns to the 35! If you're just going to throw yourself into the fight and most of your 2000 point is armor, then 20 turns might do the trick.