Hello and 2 questions

Hello to everyone. I'm a complete newbie in CM, but I'm proud to say that I'm somewhat of a Close Combat veteran and I'm glad that I have found a game that is from everything I saw and experienced (so far) by far more advanced and improved.

Anyway, I have read that people who have no manual are here considered software pirates and won't have any slack cut. Well, I am no pirate but I don't have a manual. I have bought a CDV edition of the game, that seems somewhat of a OEM pack. I only got the CD-box, original, but only with game screenshots and basic "buy this game" info. :confused: Never mind that, I managed to get the grip on things, very much by reading excellent and very helpful posts on this forum.

I've decided that best tutorial is getting into action and feeling the heat, and I was pretty much right. First scenario I played - Danube blues - I won a tactical victory. But anyway, I had 14 T-34/85, wasn't much of a challenge with Russians.

My questions are related to non-tank tactics. During several QB's I played, I had antitank rifles and 50mm mortars. Here are the questions - are antitank rifles (14.5 mmm) usable weapons against enemy infantry which is inside heavy buildings? Are they godd in penetrating walls, I mean? Didn't try that much, but I need some general info.

Another thing - I fired around 30 50mm grenades at a Marder III, which is of course open top vehicle, and managed to get two direct shots, which both incurred "no serious damage"...is it just my crew not managing to hit the uncovered part or is it 50mm grenade unusable against these vehicles?

Originally posted by Velimir:

Anyway, I have read that people who have no manual are here considered software pirates and won't have any slack cut. Well, I am no pirate but I don't have a manual. I have bought a CDV edition of the game, that seems somewhat of a OEM pack. I only got the CD-box, original, but only with game screenshots and basic "buy this game" info. :confused: Never mind that, I managed to get the grip on things, very much by reading excellent and very helpful posts on this forum.

Contact the sales guys at BFC, they might be able to help you get a manual.

are antitank rifles (14.5 mmm) usable weapons against enemy infantry which is inside heavy buildings? Are they godd in penetrating walls, I mean? Didn't try that much, but I need some general info.

In very rare cases you may get a hit on an enemy infantry, but it is hardly worth the trouble. Save them for light vehicles, such as enemy HTs, Armored cars and the like. In a pinch you can also plink away at enemy guns. They won't kill the gun but sometimes does rattle the crew.

Another thing - I fired around 30 50mm grenades at a Marder III, which is of course open top vehicle, and managed to get two direct shots, which both incurred "no serious damage"...is it just my crew not managing to hit the uncovered part or is it 50mm grenade unusable against these vehicles?

The 50mm has enough punch to fire up a Marder, you were just not hitting the vunerable portions. A direct hit in the fighting compartment, where the ammo is stored, would send the Marder crews home in a shoebox.

Open up the CD you are using and you should find a copy of the manual as a pdf. I have another version of the CDV game and all I got was the disc and a box but the manual was right there on the CD.

cheers

This is correct, you should find the manual on the disk. For the answer to questions like you asked, the manual will be of no help. it is best to do a search here, see if it has been discussed before or hope for someone like Kingfish to answer your question.

Open up the CD you are using and you should find a copy of the manual as a pdf. I have another version of the CDV game and all I got was the disc and a box but the manual was right there on the CD.

cheers

This is correct, you should find the manual on the disk. For the answer to questions like you asked, the manual will be of no help. it is best to do a search here, see if it has been discussed before or hope for someone like Kingfish to answer your question.

If you really want to understand how the weapons work against certain targets, it is best to start learning to set yourself up some test scenarios which you can run quickly and see irst hand how effective certain combinations are against certain targets. You remember it better also, if you seen it tested anyway.

Thank you all guys, the manual really is on the disc...can't believe I didn't use the Explore button...looks like a hefty one, but the good news is that exams term is finished today and time is available:)

Yes, setting up test scenarios did cross my mind, and I should get on it. I pretty much figured out how to use the AT rifle (I punched four holes in an halftrack after which the crew abandoned it...chickens:)), but these 50mm are a bit too lightweight for my taste - I remember using 120mm in CC - low ammo, but when it blows, it really blows:)

Anyway, thanks to you all again, especially Kingfish, and be sure I won't hesitate to ask again:)

Velimir,

Welcome aboard! Light mortars/grenade throwers of 45mm (Italian Brixia) to 60mm (U.S. 60mm mortar), with the German 5 cm Gw 36 amd the British 2" squarely in the middle, are quite capable of completely wrecking ANY open topped vehicle, including, on rare occasions, unbuttoned tanks. You just had some bad luck with your two hits. Think of it this way--would you want a hand grenade equivalent going off inside a steel walled room full of explosives and you and your buddies?

One of the things the original game engine does not model is cover penetration, as opposed to armor penetration, by small arms. Thus, while you can knock holes in halftracks with your PTRS or PTRD, and I have had Hetzers killed by .50 caliber HMG fire, the game does not model the ability of such projectiles to penetrate considerable amounts of timber, sandbags, bricks, etc. This I understand will be addressed in the new game engine. The first game incorporating this engine will be Combat Mission: Shock Force (has its own board), which will also function as the development testbed for working all the kinks out before doing the much simpler World War II modular games. IOW, there will be no equivalent of CMBB, CMAK, or even CMBO released under the new system. Instead, the modules will be battle specific, rather than attempting to model all the units and gear for a ground combat theater.

Regards,

John Kettler

Velimir,

The PTRS/PTRD hits were so dangerous and damaging that the Pak 40 was specifically engineered to include a sandwiched armor shield designed to defeat such projectiles. Apparently, quite a few

gun crews got injured by through the shield shots against the Pak 36 and Pak 38. Also, the German skirt armor seen on so many of their tanks and SP weapons was fielded in response to the same threat. Elsewhere, I have described a translated Tiger Kompanie readiness report I once saw on the Internet, in which post Kursk, the entire Kompanie was hors de combat, thanks to so many smashed vision blocks in the cupolas that the tanks were unfightable when buttoned. So many blocks were smashed that both Kompanie and Batailon stocks were exhausted, meaning that a week plus went by while the items were obtained from Regiment. And did I mention a bunch of eye and face casualties

to TCs hit with parts of vision blocks and/or brackets, including a few requiring a multiweek hospital stay?

Tagwyn,

What's the acronym stand for, please?

Regards,

John Kettler