Infantry assaulting tanks/bunkers

I've got two games going, in one my full platoon of infantry 20m from a wooden bunker don't seem to be able to hurt it. They don't appear to be throwing grenades. I don't have any friendlies closer. Anyone have an idea what might be going on? I've assaulting many bunkers with infantry and this one just seems unkillable.

In another, my HQ simply won't close assault an afv.

I'm playing with the 1.02 patch.

I'm baffled since I've done both of these many times before and never had there problems.

It is possible to place Bunkers "hull down". I wonder if this is the case, then it might be more intimidating for the infantry to attack. I did this recently in a QB , there must have been two Companies of crack Soviet Infantry charging up this narrow defile to get to the bunker, on several occasions some squads got quite close but were unable to expedite a breach into the bunker!

Mind you my bunker took about 110 casualties, talk about WW1 type stuff! :D

Originally posted by xerxes:

I've got two games going, in one my full platoon of infantry 20m from a wooden bunker don't seem to be able to hurt it. They don't appear to be throwing grenades. I don't have any friendlies closer. Anyone have an idea what might be going on? I've assaulting many bunkers with infantry and this one just seems unkillable.

In another, my HQ simply won't close assault an afv.

I'm playing with the 1.02 patch.

I'm baffled since I've done both of these many times before and never had there problems.

If you are playing with russian infantry, this is likely the known bug . . . .I think 1.03 is supposed to fix it.

If you are playing with russian infantry, this is likely the known bug . . . .I think 1.03 is supposed to fix it.

What known bug is that? I couldn't find anything relevant in the 1.03 fix list.

I know there used to be a bug which caused infantry that had Molotovs not to attack bunkers (at all - even with their grenades), but haven't heard about anything specific to Russian infantry.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

It could be that you're too close to the bunker with some of you're troops. Happens sometimes and the rest don't fir for fear of hurting their mates.

Unless you're using demo, you should be able to have as many squads as you like right on top of the bunker and they will still throw grenades.

Xerxes, for using demo you should have all friendly units at least 15 meters away. You could probably swing it with 10 meters, but I wouldn't mess with it. One poorly aimed demo charge and you'll be unhappy.

I just ran another series of tests with russian smg squads attacking pillboxes with 1.02. I placed 15 kraut pillboxes in a row, 5 wooden, 5 concrete mg boxes, and 5 75mmAT gun boxes. I placed the smg squads in various formations from 33meters out (behind of course), to right on top the pillboxs. Easy kill right? Wrong . . .this is still a problem. After 5 turns, 3 wooden bunkers, and one concrete mg were knocked out.

After 15 turns, all 5 75mm AT gun boxes remained. This is not realistic.

[ April 23, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Walpurgis Night ]

Hmm, I've been sitting 20m from this wooden bunker with a full platoon for 3 minutes. That was after wasting 80 {yes, 80 rounds} 75mm HE rounds on the stupid shack. It's holding up my entire attack because I can't move my support weapons up.

Next time I bring demo charges and a flamer.

p.s. on the similar won't close assault a stug problem I brought up a pioneer and immobilized the stug with a satchel and then finished it off with a manpak FT.

[ April 23, 2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: xerxes ]

Originally posted by xerxes:

Hmm, I've been sitting 20m from this wooden bunker with a full platoon for 3 minutes. That was after wasting 80 {yes, 80 rounds} 75mm HE rounds on the stupid shack. It's holding up my entire attack because I can't move my support weapons up.

That is strange . . . were the 75mm HE rounds actually hitting the wooden pillbox, or was it the "can't hit reverse slope bug"? Wooden boxes should die almost instantly (my experience is that they do)from even much smaller rounds than 75mm.

And yes, the "infantry without demo assualting pillboxes" thing is a real problem . . .really raises the cranial pressure when it holds up your entire attack. Very unrealistic when you're sitting on top of a pillbox for 6-10 turns without killing it.