Those Decorative Mines

Now yesterday I noted on thread that I had just watched an opponent run a whole platoon head long smack through the center of an AP mine field without so much as a bird stop singing.

Today, I watched in curiosity as two of my opponents tanks roll right through AT mines sitting in a road that cuts through a forest. So there is no clear area to the left or right, and the road is AT mined. Two tanks go blazing right through and nothing, nada, zippo happens.

I'm wondering if someone could maybe mod some Burma Shave slogans on the mine signs for decorative purposes. Kinda give the enemy crews something to read as they go whizzing through the mine fields. :confused:

[ February 22, 2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Hhhmm sounds like the elusive, uber-secret hover-tank in action there. :D

I very rarely purchase mines because of the issues that you have mentioned here Bruno . Can't move them so if the enemy makes a rush along an alternate route you have just wasted points. And once they are revealed the lose their usefulness as your opponent runs around them.

Minefields are good and effective!

The trick is to realise that a single unit (or "patch" as I prefer to call them) of mines have just above 50% chance of hitting a crossing vehicle, and use them accordingly.

To block a route you'll need to either force the enemy to pass more than one patch, cover the route with other AT weapons OR use road blocks instead.

Mines also have a psychological effect. Once spotted vehicles tend to avoid them. Therefore Daisy-chains can be more efficient than hidden patches for blocking a route.

Daisy-chains are no match to remove if the attacker has engineers available, but it's not always so.

To conclude:

Mines are good and efficient within their limitations. Plan the effect you want, and pick your type of mines depending on that. Then place them in a manner where they can perform the desired effect.

Minefields not overrun are not a waste of points, but replace an ATG or other assets that would otherwise be necessary to cover that area.

Cheers

Olle

Up until now I have had quite good success with minefields. If defending I would almost always buy some (of all types) I have killed a lot of AFVs with them. I don't think I have ever seen an AFV cross an AT mine without dying, though I have seen infantry manage to cross AP mines on occasion. Either I have had very good luck or you have had very bad luck I would say (unless of course patch 1.02 reduced their effectiveness)

A useful trick I have used with daisy chain mines is to use them to shepherd AFVs onto your AT mines. I have had so much success with this that my daisy chain mines are now effectively twice as wide to some of my regular opponents as they won't risk going anywhere near them. I have tried the same trick with barbed wire onto AP mines but it is not nearly as effective (or rewarding)

[ February 22, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Caesar ]

Originally posted by Three_Oh_Eight:

Questions for the more experienced:

What is the dimension and coverage of a minefield? Does it match the square graphic visible during set up? Can minefields overlap, to better effect?

Thanks!

Hi, IMO the graphic is preety spot on for coverage. Overlapping does help increase the chance of a hit.

A good way to increase chances is by rotating them into along the axis you expect the tank to travel down.

E.g. Road rotate the square so it's two opposite corners are on the road hence giving slightly longer distance for a tank to travel throug the mines.

Then overlap slightly either side with another AT mine. This will give broad but overlapped coverage.

H

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

I'm wondering if someone could maybe mod some Burma Shave slogans on the mine signs for decorative purposes. Kinda give the enemy crews something to read as they go whizzing through the mine fields.

You mean like "Eat at Joe's" or "Tourist Attraction 100m"? Or did you mean like War & Peace (for King Tiger crews to read)?