The other UK tournament - NOWT special !

Originally posted by Apache:

Hopefully mine and Gary's game should end soon. Doubt I can do much now as those darn T34s seem to have creamed most of what I have left. If it does start to drag (I see little point in letting) what was the suggestions re calling a close - ceasefire or surrender? I may be going on hols next week too so I'd like to get it shut down.

if you are looking to close .... then either a ceasefire of surrender will do it ... Though a ceasefire will usually give you a few more points.

Basically whatever you both agree to is fine

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the Lord created the first map I played on all was well with the world. There were trees and bushes with plenty of covered approaches to the objectives.

Amen.

When the Lord created the second map he clearly left everything to his New Deal, work experience, apprentice Saturday worker :D . I'm attempting to manoeuvre my way towards an extremely unlikely objective in a valley bottom overlooked on three sides by hills with little cover. There are some covered approaches so I must be grateful for small mercies.

Despite my grumbling, I'm fine about the settings.

You just have to work with what you get. The only thing I'd change are the settings for hills. I find the steep inclines a little unconvincing. Modest slopes would do me fine and dandy.

I thought the terrain was OK in our last match Lou, there's nothing wrong with open terrain as such. My only complaint was the placement of the flags, and that's an issue which is really starting to p*** me off about game-engine generated maps in general.

I don't suppose there were many situations in WW2 where a commanding officer would say "Sergeant, I want you to run all you men up to the top of that hill, then an extra 200m over the top and sit on the opposite slope in full view of the enemy machine guns. That wheatfield on the far slope is *vital* to our military objectives!".

A couple more round 2 games are about to begin...

Quarter finals.

Wesreidau Vs Gary Barr - Wesreidau doing the setup.

Team round.

Apache Vs Athkatla - Apache doing the setup.

Settings as follows ...................

Dec '43

North

Combined Arms

German - Mech

Soviet - Infantry

Quality - Medium

Allow Human

Casualties - 10%

Ammo - Full

Sewer Movement - Allowed (but N/A due to map type)

Meeting Engagement

1500 points

Map - Medium

Handicap - None

Rarity - Standard

Time - Mid day

Temp – COOL Weather - Overcast / Breeze

Map:

Terrain - Farmland

Trees - Moderate

Hills - Modest

Damage - Light

Turns 27 +/- variable

all with EFOW (or course)

Still looking for an update on the Mark Gallear Vs Prester John game - Once that one is in and all the round 1 games are over I'll start a new thread.

I'll update the NOWT pages shortly

Despite a few days hitch NickT and I are flying along in our second round game, Turn 16 of 27 variable.

A funny old game, very cagey with a lot of sneaking and HMG suppression fire going on. But I've got a feeling things are coming to a head in a few turns (gulp).

Dunno how its going to fall.

That's the state of play at this end smile.gif

Originally posted by Dr. Juzzy:

A funny old game

I've never seen so much German infantry. I feel decidedly outnumbered. I hope they're all snipers or something.

The only thing this battle is missing is trenches and barbed-wire. And I dread to think what happens when they go "over the top".

OK Gents thats the last of the Round 1 games complete.

Congrats to Prester John. The last of the Round 2 games can now start and should be as follows:

Prester John Vs SteveS (PJ doing the setup)

Mark Gallear Vs Sandy (Sandy doing the setup)

It may be best to check with the other player regards what CMBB patch !!

I'll be starting a new NOWT thread later today ...after I've updated the web pages...

Later

Lou